How to Be Self-Sufficient in the Desert

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friends (4 of us) who going to live with me on my property and I have brainstorm what to build and stuff. Just an idea...

House: Only "main" as can be anything like bedroom or office or whatever they want in the house also it has a bathroom. The bathroom supposed to say 15 x 6 but, the program won't let me change from 5 x 5 to 15 x 6. I believe because there's a wall between the shower and toilet

Common House: Where we keep Laundry, Pantry, Storage, Living room, Kitchen, Office, etc. For Laundry. I tried to type in "Storage/Laundry" for some reason software won't let me. So now you know where laundry is.

Also there image of the plot size property with some layout ideas ideas ideas for where to put the common house and 6 houses. You can see there's plenty of space for a garden/greenhouse. Water tanks, solar array/wind power.

4 of us, 6 houses... What am I going to do with the extra 2? That what a friend asked me. I can think of a few possibilities. Rent out? maybe a bad idea. they probably abuse water to drain them quickly? Could be a workshop? Probably power batteries room? or whatever we come up with.... Maybe you guys have a suggestion.

My friend said "Oh man! If I get a house 1, That means I have to walk a long way from car parking?!" I told him "Well, free workout walk around burn your fat away"

Attachments

• Draft 3.png
    Draft 3.png
    257.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Basic Common House Floor Plan.png
    Basic Common House Floor Plan.png
    215.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 16-8 x 15-4 House 1.png
    16-8 x 15-4 House 1.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
My friends (4 of us) who going to live with me on my property and I have brainstorm what to build and stuff. Just an idea...

House: Only "main" as can be anything like bedroom or office or whatever they want in the house also it has a bathroom. The bathroom supposed to say 15 x 6 but, the program won't let me change from 5 x 5 to 15 x 6. I believe because there's a wall between the shower and toilet

Common House: Where we keep Laundry, Pantry, Storage, Living room, Kitchen, Office, etc. For Laundry. I tried to type in "Storage/Laundry" for some reason software won't let me. So now you know where laundry is.

Also their image of the plot size property with some layout ideas ideas ideas for where to put the common house and 6 houses. You can see there's plenty of space for a garden/greenhouse. Water tanks, solar array/wind power.

4 of us, 6 houses... What am I going to do with the extra 2? That what a friend asked me. I can think of a few possibilities. Rent out? maybe a bad idea. they probably abuse water to drain them quickly? Could be a workshop? Probably power batteries room? or whatever we come up with.... Maybe you guys have a suggestion.

My friend said "Oh man! If I get a house 1, That means I have to walk a long way from car parking?!" I told him "Well, free workout walk around burn your fat away"
I think it is a nice camp arrangement. I looked at your space on the map, is there any chance of expanding your acerage with ajacent sites? I have considered getting 25-50 acres someplace (considered northern Navada to avoid state taxes) but just don't have the resources at this point and am afraid I will not have the strength to do something on my own.

When I was young my family belonged to a club twice a year we would have a work party. First we built a clubhouse, with a great room with fireplace, covered porch, later we added a big kitchen with several propane stoves and ovens, we added decks and retaining walls using concrete and local stone, later we added a big bunk house with lots of military bunk beds (only springs), and finally we made a shower house. Lots of good experience but definately hard work, not something to do alone if you are old.

Each step took a lot of planning and resources, I think some of the builds were done over 3 or more years with logical steps like gather the sand and stone, dig and pour concrete foundations, raise wall and roof (we always put up a roof to avoid water damage, even in the desert you can get water damage), followed by interiors. We often camped around the build site during our work parties, usually they tried to do them on a 3 day weekend and ususally Sunday afternoon we had a group BBQ.

1620929621056.png

I think it is a nice camp arrangement. I looked at your space on the map, is there any chance of expanding your average with adjacent sites?
Yes, I could have. If damn land sale answers my email or phone. I have been contacting them about expanding from 2.5 to 10 acres. They said they have plenty of vacant adjacents. I have left 40 messages about it. All I get the answering machine. I reach out to 10 or 20 emails. no response from them.

I have considered getting 25-50 acres someplace (considered northern Nevada to avoid state taxes) but just don't have the resources at this point and am afraid I will not have the strength to do something on my own.
I almost got myself land in Elko, Nevada. But none of the friends of mine want to live there because there's someone we know really well who is murder recently release from prison. I want to keep friends stay together. So I choice Arizona.

When I was young my family belonged to a club twice a year we would have a work party. First, we built a clubhouse, with a great room with fireplace, covered porch, later we added a big kitchen with several propane stoves and ovens, we added decks and retaining walls using concrete and local stone, later we added a big bunkhouse with lots of military bunk beds (only springs), and finally, we made a shower house.
We have been talking about how to build it. We were a plan to do Concrete on the floor then use Rammed Earth for the wall. We try figure what to do with the roof. Wood? The wood price has been drive high price. Mmm...

Lots of good experience but definitely hard work, not something to do alone if you are old.
I'm 42. By the time I paid off land, I'll be 46 years old. Once I paid off the land. Then a few months later I'll pay off my Suv. Then I'll have plenty of money to get material/tools

that place looks nice. at least you got a lake there or it's the ocean? I would love to go scuba diving there.

As someone who lives in the high desert you need water to be self sufficient in the desert.

Yes, I could have. If damn land sale answers my email or phone. I have been contacting them about expanding from 2.5 to 10 acres. They said they have plenty of vacant adjacents. I have left 40 messages about it. All I get the answering machine. I reach out to 10 or 20 emails. no response from them.

I almost got myself land in Elko, Nevada. But none of the friends of mine want to live there because there's someone we know really well who is murder recently release from prison. I want to keep friends stay together. So I choice Arizona.

We have been talking about how to build it. We were a plan to do Concrete on the floor then use Rammed Earth for the wall. We try figure what to do with the roof. Wood? The wood price has been drive high price. Mmm...

I'm 42. By the time I paid off land, I'll be 46 years old. Once I paid off the land. Then a few months later I'll pay off my Suv. Then I'll have plenty of money to get material/tools

that place looks nice. at least you got a lake there or it's the ocean? I would love to go scuba diving there.

It was on a lake in the desert, I left the club in 89 and left the area in 94. I have friends who had an adobe house, adobe is an interesting building materials but it is not load bearing. All of our Club structures were either stone and concrete or stick built, all of the roofs were stick built with sheet metal skins. I did do some scuba in the day but dirty water is not a good thing, ended up with ear infections and lasting impacts.

Ownership can be an issue, the Club was on leased land with group ownership, when you pulled out you were out. I listen to @Neb talk and I like his family LLC owning things to secure a long term ownership plan. He really has it together (Have followed him for over a decade at another site).

I wish you well, if it were me I would be anxious to fly out and go camping there to improve my mental picture (I would also try to wear out a camera).

I think that I would add a "garage" to my build-plan. A sturdy structure big enough to park a car in + 3', some windows towards the interior of the property and strong doors and locks. (Or a 20' shipping container) This could hold your tools and supplies during different stages of your builds.

I wish you well, if it were me I would be anxious to fly out and go camping there to improve my mental picture (I would also try to wear out a camera).
That what I'm planning for this fall. More like the drive there. All I have GPS. I have been nagging the land sale to give me the address. they never answer my email. I'm worried if I fall into their scam? here their website where I buy from. https://nunnlandsales.com/properties/251-Land-Holbrook-Arizona-86025-USD2-999/

I think that I would add a "garage" to my build-plan. A sturdy structure big enough to park a car in + 3', some windows towards the interior of the property and strong doors and locks. (Or a 20' shipping container) This could hold your tools and supplies during different stages of your builds.
Of course that garage I'm plain. similar to this design But much bigger more length big enough for 4 or 5 cars

Attachments

• rain-water-collection-solar-panels.jpg
    rain-water-collection-solar-panels.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 102
I can't just roll back my age. All I can do is move forward
None of us can, but we can take steps to stay a little in shape or active.

At 20 I could work like a horse 16 hours a day 6 days a week no problem, in my 30s and 40s I still put out a lot but I needed more rest breaks and time to recover, entering my 50s I started noticing that as I expanded to my full potential and as my girth increased and my wind decreased making me have to work smarter, entering the 60s I noticed every injury I ever had now wants to speak to me on a regular basis but I keep doing stuff by the shear power of will....
I wish I had taken better care of myself and had planned things a little better, we each do the best we can with what we have available to us today.

One of my friend recommend that I build prefab house and stack them together on trailer to bring to Arizona and put them together like puzzle for starter. Since where I live have alot of woods so it should cheaper than Arizona - Tiny Prefab eBook by Michael Janzen - Tiny House Blog What you guys think?

Oh great, I think I have bought wrong county. Navajo have too many rule and code. They say homestead is not allowed within Navajo County. They required inspection as build.
*First Septic System. Make sure it hook up. They do not allowed gasbio that I'm plan to use to gas the stove.
*Foundation Pier or Trenches or Basement area excavated any required ercet form must be inspection before pour cement.
*Floodplain -any permitted construction location within the flood plain must adhere to all requirements stipulated by the flood plain district
*Fire Resistance where required. (I'm plan to use Rammed Earth and it's 100% fire resistance. so i'm good)
*Sterm Steel (what it is?)
*Under-stab copper, sewer, electric before cover
*Under-floor framing before floor sheeting (again, I'm plan to use rammed Earth. So it going cement floor)
*Roof sheathing no metal roof allowed (how supposed I collect water from rain)
* Rough-in Framing, Electrical, Plumbing, Venting and Heating. Must be house weather-sealed prior to rough in inspection (Rammed Earth going seal them in. I guess I'll have talk with them about it)
*Drywall nailing (Like if I have any drywall. Rammed Earth dont use it)
*Final Inspection

a building or structure must be greater than 1,200 square feet are allowed dweller. (I guess I'll have to redesign the house because my design is 256 sqaure feet. *SMH* I has email to land sale about to see if possible switch the land to somewhere coshine county or somewhere no restrictions. Navajo County dont even allowed wind Energy *SMH* IT even say I need permit to have RV or camp on the land and limit timeframe is 30 day per years. *SMH* I should have research more before buy. Too late for it. But Hopeful land sale willing to switch to other area where no restrictions.

Oh great, I think I have bought wrong county. Navajo have too many rule and code. They say homestead is not allowed within Navajo County. They required inspection as build.
*First Septic System. Make sure it hook up. They do not allowed gasbio that I'm plan to use to gas the stove.
*Foundation Pier or Trenches or Basement area excavated any required ercet form must be inspection before pour cement.
*Floodplain -any permitted construction location within the flood plain must adhere to all requirements stipulated by the flood plain district
*Fire Resistance where required. (I'm plan to use Rammed Earth and it's 100% fire resistance. so i'm good)
*Under-floor framing before floor sheeting (again, I'm plan to use rammed Earth. So it going cement floor)
* Rough-in Framing, Electrical, Plumbing, Venting and Heating. Must be house weather-sealed prior to rough in inspection (Rammed Earth going seal them in. I guess I'll have talk with them about it)
*Final Inspection

a building or structure must be greater than 1,200 square feet are allowed dweller. (I guess I'll have to redesign the house because my design is 256 sqaure feet. *SMH* I has email to land sale about to see if possible switch the land to somewhere coshine county or somewhere no restrictions. Navajo County dont even allowed wind Energy *SMH* IT even say I need permit to have RV or camp on the land and limit timeframe is 30 day per years. *SMH* I should have research more before buy. Too late for it. But Hopeful land sale willing to switch to other area where no restrictions.
This may not make you feel better, buy by sharing you are teaching us all a lot. Things are not always a easy as one would hope.

I looked at some land in Northern Nevada, but you would need a 4X to get there and driving an hour or 2 off road to get to the house does not make me feel all warm inside, especially if you are not expecting any help...

I am sorry thing are so difficult for you right now, hope a ray of sunshine comes soon.

This may not make you feel better, buy by sharing you are teaching us all a lot. Things are not always a easy as one would hope.

I looked at some land in Northern Nevada, but you would need a 4X to get there and driving an hour or 2 off road to get to the house does not make me feel all warm inside, especially if you are not expecting any help...

I am sorry thing are so difficult for you right now, hope a ray of sunshine comes soon.
Thanks, I just wanted to post here after what I learn about Navajo County. I recently read more about them in their FAQ *OH BOY!* I can't just build my own design house. It must be sealed by Engineer and Architect before begin building. It's major sucks! More sucks I cant just put down storage with supplies of lumber and anything until septic installed. No septic, FINED

By the way, you say something about need 4X to get there... I think my SUV is built in 4X. I see those setting. But I never use it. Also I don't felt comfortable to drive off road. What if I accident drive over someone's land and start drama/ build wall around blah blah blah make it impossible to go there without a helicopter or something?

Thanks, I just wanted to post here after what I learn about Navajo County. I recently read more about them in their FAQ *OH BOY!* I can't just build my own design house. It must be sealed by Engineer and Architect before begin building. It's major sucks! More sucks I cant just put down storage with supplies of lumber and anything until septic installed. No septic, FINED
I have to ask why you are so fixated on desert where many before you have decided is not conducive to living on.

OH has boondocks teritory with water resources are available (G Washington called a land of milk and honey) that is more than an hour away from pop centers that will make your plans easier.

Water after air is what will kill you first if lacking.

Ben

I have to ask why you are so fixated on desert where many before you have decided is not conducive to living on.

OH has boondocks teritory with water resources are available (G Washington called a land of milk and honey) that is more than an hour away from pop centers that will make your plans easier.

Water after air is what will kill you first if lacking.

Ben

Cheap land.

I agree with you, I would not choose the desert for any reason. I like my environment to be green, not brown. But, I'm guessing there's water there, you just may have to go to extraordinary lengths to get it. As to whether anything will grow there...who knows? I've seen beautiful irrigated alfalfa fields growing out of the sand down on the Mexico border. If you put enough water on the ground, lots of things can grow. If you can't get enough water to irrigate the land, well...game over.

I agree, but men/women have lived in dry desert for thousands of years. Today it is easier than ever before. Being where it is hard to get or live in, make a secure place, if you can save ever drop of rain & raise your on food. When the SHTF, few will go far from the city, if they have no skills in the dry dusty desert. Here where I live one could sleep in the day & travel at night, with water every few miles & rain most every month.

The desert has some advantages, cheap land, low population, lots of sun (solar power), and often the soil will grow well if you can have a steady water supply.

One thing that @Parascuba said about them not allowing metal roofs that caught my imagination, I have always dreamed of having solar a (PV) system that was also a water collection system, elevated fixed mount PV panels with a water collection system along the bottom edge so when it did rain you could collect as much water as possible. There are also different qualities of water, potable (clean drinking), gray (discarded wash, can be used for plants), and sewage. I saw a Leed Green Building in CANADA that used a rain collection system to feed their toilets and such. So in my thinking I would want 2 pressurized water systems, one with clean drinking (But I have seen people with an elevated tank for drinking, but remember to shade it) and one for washing and such. If you were using a drip irrigation system you might need something (Gravity or a pump) to bring that up to 25 psi. A bio-digester type sewer system requires a fare amount of water as the lid needs to be supported by a volume of gas over a bed of water and sewage. The weight of the lid is what provides the pressure for your gas system, so you need to displace a volume of water that would be equal to the weight of the lid.

I have camped and walked hundreds of miles in the desert, I have had vehicles break down 20+ miles from town in the desert and had to walk back for help. In the desert water is life but you don't need nearly as much to live as you would think (about 2 gallons per person per day in the desert), but for sanitation and food production the volume is much greater, often over 100 gallons per day.

The thing about the desert that I remember most is that most of the time it's a sunny day, but when it rains it RAINS! Flash floods and flowing water can trap you faster than you could imagine, roads can become ravines that have to be rebuilt. And it means that when you are collecting water you need to be able to catch and store a lot of it at one time...

Sun's almost up and I need to harvest today.

Reactions: Neb
*Final Inspection

Interesting code rules - guess it is different in the southern part of Navajo County (where I live). The home across the street from me is only 1180 square feet, and we have many homes around me that have metal roofs. We looked at a metal roof a few years ago when we had to have our roof replaced due to hail damage, but we decided against it. Maybe those are homeowner association rules for the area where you bought the land?

Have you considered using a manufactured home for your common area? Installation still requires foundation, etc., but in the long run is very economical. Once it is installed, you could use it as your common area and then get 6 of the Graceland type "sheds" to be your six bedroom houses.

Last edited:
Always have a lawyer when buying land. As long as you tell them what you plan to do they will make sure you get what you need.
They have always saved me more than their fees.

The main reason I chose the desert is Cheaper land.

As a deaf man, It's not easy for me to find a good job with good pay. For example, I have skills with architecture as you have seen in some work I have posted other days. Plus this one (made yesterday) I took college class to learn that architecture. I applied for the job with an Architecture firm. And there's another man who never took architecture school. He learns them from middle school. His skill is very limitted. He doesn't know about the requirements of the weight line on the paper to show which is an outer wall or inner wall. Also, he doesn't know the outer wall is 6 inches and the inside is 4 inches. I saw a lot of mistakes. I just knew I'm going to get a job over him because I had trained. He didn't. But he gets hired over me. Because I'm Deaf. The architecture firm says "We choice to hire him because We don't want to hire an interpreter every time you had client or every meeting come up," I told them it's against law to refuse to hire because I'm deaf. Then they said "leave this property or I'll call police you're trespassing" I knew I should have to sue them but I'm the damn too soft heart.

Bottom line, Many companies won't hire deaf cuz they cost more than they hire others aka install fire alarm light strobe, hire interpreter, install video phone, all deaf device we require to work there. And where I live don't have many career opportunities for the deaf. Unless I live in San Francisco CA or Rochester NY or San Diego CA, or area has a high popularity of the deaf. And I can't afford to move there. I simply don't have a good job. I used to have a pretty good job aka work as a ramp agent at the airport. Until COVID hit, I lost the job. And Airline is getting back to normal. I ask for a job if I could have my old job back. They like "umm we'll get back to you" that's 8 months ago. I ask again and again again. then they start to stop to answer my call. Sometimes they just pick up then hang up without bothering to say hello. I get hint,

I'm currently living with my aunt. No choice. My aunt starts showing in the worst shape of health. I move in with her to help her around the house as she needs. mow the lawn, wash a dish, wash clothes, and all odd tasks. 3 years ago. She asked me "You better start looking for your own place to live. Once I'm gone. you'll be homeless. I'm not giving you my house. I already sign the will once I'm gone, House goes to church." I tried looking for a house to buy. they're beyond my budget and I want freedom. Do anything I want. The apartment won't let me. I don't want to deal with the lease. I have the worst credit score thank my ex. Anyway, So I need a place to live!!!!

There's an owner fiance in the desert for only $5,000 2.5 acres. Zoning: None Restrictions: None. Anytime you want start building the house or off the grid. So I went for it. I down payment 1,000 with government stimulus to speed up the process of payment. So now, I can just pay 99 dollars miniuim. But I'm going to pay 150 a month.

I follow many people from YouTube who going off-grid in Arizona. They keep talking about living in Coshine County. Arizona. Every one of them from Coshine County. I start to have that fishy feel why none of them from Navajo County. So I reach out to all of them. Only two of them answered. Both told me the same thing Navajo County is bad news. Strong suggest sell land and find another land in Coshine County. That's when I start research on Navajo County and contact via email. I learn tons of things and they told me I can't do those off the grid, not even homestead. They must be hooked up. I told them it's not within the town zone. It's the middle of the desert. They still say I must use hook up. Mostly Septic is BIG MUST MUST MUST MUST. They said if I tried to park RV or set up the shed to storage supplied without septic install first I'll be heavily fined.

Frak those restrictions. Two days ago I have wrote another email to land sales to see if I could just trade land within their inventory within their list. And MUST BE NO RESTRICTION!!!

Attachments

• 20 x 17 340 sq ft House 1.png
    20 x 17 340 sq ft House 1.png
    440 KB · Views: 64

As a deaf man, It's not easy for me to find a good job with good pay. For example, I have skills with architecture as you have seen in some work I have posted other days. Plus this one (made yesterday) I took college class to learn that architecture. I applied for the job with an Architecture firm. And there's another man who never took architecture school. He learns them from middle school. His skill is very limitted. He doesn't know about the requirements of the weight line on the paper to show which is an outer wall or inner wall. Also, he doesn't know the outer wall is 6 inches and the inside is 4 inches. I saw a lot of mistakes. I just knew I'm going to get a job over him because I had trained. He didn't. But he gets hired over me. Because I'm Deaf. The architecture firm says "We choice to hire him because We don't want to hire an interpreter every time you had client or every meeting come up," I told them it's against law to refuse to hire because I'm deaf. Then they said "leave this property or I'll call police you're trespassing" I knew I should have to sue them but I'm the damn too soft heart.

Bottom line, Many companies won't hire deaf cuz they cost more than they hire others aka install fire alarm light strobe, hire interpreter, install video phone, all deaf device we require to work there. And where I live don't have many career opportunities for the deaf. Unless I live in San Francisco CA or Rochester NY or San Diego CA, or area has a high popularity of the deaf. And I can't afford to move there. I simply don't have a good job. I used to have a pretty good job aka work as a ramp agent at the airport. Until COVID hit, I lost the job. And Airline is getting back to normal. I ask for a job if I could have my old job back. They like "umm we'll get back to you" that's 8 months ago. I ask again and again again. then they start to stop to answer my call. Sometimes they just pick up then hang up without bothering to say hello. I get hint,

I'm currently living with my aunt. No choice. My aunt starts showing in the worst shape of health. I move in with her to help her around the house as she needs. mow the lawn, wash a dish, wash clothes, and all odd tasks. 3 years ago. She asked me "You better start looking for your own place to live. Once I'm gone. you'll be homeless. I'm not giving you my house. I already sign the will once I'm gone, House goes to church." I tried looking for a house to buy. they're beyond my budget and I want freedom. Do anything I want. The apartment won't let me. I don't want to deal with the lease. I have the worst credit score thank my ex. Anyway, So I need a place to live!!!!

There's an owner fiance in the desert for only $5,000 2.5 acres. Zoning: None Restrictions: None. Anytime you want start building the house or off the grid. So I went for it. I down payment 1,000 with government stimulus to speed up the process of payment. So now, I can just pay 99 dollars miniuim. But I'm going to pay 150 a month.

I follow many people from YouTube who going off-grid in Arizona. They keep talking about living in Coshine County. Arizona. Every one of them from Coshine County. I start to have that fishy feel why none of them from Navajo County. So I reach out to all of them. Only two of them answered. Both told me the same thing Navajo County is bad news. Strong suggest sell land and find another land in Coshine County. That's when I start research on Navajo County and contact via email. I learn tons of things and they told me I can't do those off the grid, not even homestead. They must be hooked up. I told them it's not within the town zone. It's the middle of the desert. They still say I must use hook up. Mostly Septic is BIG MUST MUST MUST MUST. They said if I tried to park RV or set up the shed to storage supplied without septic install first I'll be heavily fined.

Frak those restrictions. Two days ago I have wrote another email to land sales to see if I could just trade land within their inventory within their list. And MUST BE NO RESTRICTION!!!
Hope you can get it all worked out.

Thanks, UrbanHunter. I hope too

Thought #2 when anyone moves into a desert location with a water supply, put some serious thought into where you want a few trees, and bushes and set up a drip irrigation system and get them planted. This is something that can be done on "your day off" from building and can be good for relaxing and giving you a sense of accomplishment. Then in the evenings or on future "days off" you can tend to them and contemplate other locations for other trees, bushes, plants, etc..
Also, in the desert greenery will provide areas of shade and cool air. A light mist across some bushes or grape vines or on a tree in the evening will provide a refreshing area to sit and relax.

I know you have hundreds of things to figure out and accomplish but if you plant a few trees the first year they will be established and give you shade when the building projects are about done. If you wait to plant then you have to wait a few more years before things get big enough to enjoy.

I am not sure how true the deaf not getting the job while being more qualified statement is true. That is illegal in the United States to discriminate against someone for handicaps. I hope you sued them.

My mother is deaf. She has been deaf since she was a baby. An infant illness caused the fever that damaged her ear drums and caused her deafness. She was a public school teacher until she retired 6 years ago. She needed no translator and was able to function 100% in the classroom. No, she did not teach special ed but normal english/general education classes. She taught high school when I was a toddler and 5th grade when we moved to California and middle school just before she retired. She is 100% deaf and the students never caught on. The one time a student figured it out I was present and saw my mom in action.

I was the same age as her students (5th grade) and my school year had ended a week before hers. I went to her classroom to help close it down for the summer after the kids left for the day. One kid thought he'd be a smartass and cuss her out by mouthing the words. That is how she nailed him. He did it to her face and she read his lips. I was on the other side of the room laughing my ass off as she repeated everything he said to him and sent him to the office. His parting words were... "I thought she was deaf...!"

Neither my father or I know any sign language or use any devices to communicate with her. My parents have been together since they were teenagers. My mom's deafness actually got them together...

He worked at Adventure Inn (Long Island) behind the grill and my mom was reading the menu. He was rude and snapped at her. She got flustered and left. The following week she went back to give him a piece of her mind and he asked her out before she could chew him out.

But deafness can only limit you if you let it. There are phones that have live captions so the deaf can read (Google Pixel) what is being said. There are TDD and TTY systems that can be employed for cheap. HELL! The government will even pay for these devices if you are legally deaf! Once my mom retired as a school teacher she got a TTY phone. She doesn't use it now. She would rather text me (or anyone else not in the room with her) than talk on the phone.

Employers get special funding for retro fitting their work environment for special needs employees.

I am not sure how true the deaf not getting the job while being more qualified statement is true. That is illegal in the United States to discriminate against someone for handicaps. I hope you sued them.

My mother is deaf. She has been deaf since she was a baby. An infant illness caused the fever that damaged her ear drums and caused her deafness. She was a public school teacher until she retired 6 years ago. She needed no translator and was able to function 100% in the classroom. No, she did not teach special ed but normal english/general education classes. She taught high school when I was a toddler and 5th grade when we moved to California and middle school just before she retired. She is 100% deaf and the students never caught on. The one time a student figured it out I was present and saw my mom in action.

I was the same age as her students (5th grade) and my school year had ended a week before hers. I went to her classroom to help close it down for the summer after the kids left for the day. One kid thought he'd be a smartass and cuss her out by mouthing the words. That is how she nailed him. He did it to her face and she read his lips. I was on the other side of the room laughing my ass off as she repeated everything he said to him and sent him to the office. His parting words were... "I thought she was deaf...!"

Neither my father or I know any sign language or use any devices to communicate with her. My parents have been together since they were teenagers. My mom's deafness actually got them together...

He worked at Adventure Inn (Long Island) behind the grill and my mom was reading the menu. He was rude and snapped at her. She got flustered and left. The following week she went back to give him a piece of her mind and he asked her out before she could chew him out.

But deafness can only limit you if you let it. There are phones that have live captions so the deaf can read (Google Pixel) what is being said. There are TDD and TTY systems that can be employed for cheap. HELL! The government will even pay for these devices if you are legally deaf! Once my mom retired as a school teacher she got a TTY phone. She doesn't use it now. She would rather text me (or anyone else not in the room with her) than talk on the phone.

Employers get special funding for retro fitting their work environment for special needs employees.

Depend on who raise her. She was raised by a hearing family and learn to read lip. I raised in a deaf family I never get read lip. All I understand "What" and "no"

And for TTY/TDD that's cave-man technology. They don't exist anymore.

My son Scout master had a son who is deaf & know another scout who is deaf, but raised as as a speaking person & can speak English as well as I.
Note: Grimm correct me it I did not use the proper words, I know so little about the Deaf.

My son Scout master had a son who is deaf & know another scout who is deaf, but raised as as a speaking person & can speak English as well as I.
Note: Grimm correct me it I did not use the proper words, I know so little about the Deaf.

I wouldn't know the proper terms either. My mom was taught at the school for the deaf in New York City to make her deafness 'invisible'. She was never taught sign language but to read lips and speak normally. Even Helen Keller learned to speak well enough to give motivational speeches.

Roo and Juju forget their grandma is deaf. Growing up I even forgot she was deaf.

Latest posts

Back