How to Build a Bike Generator with Control Panel

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generator, did you see the control panel?
I know, kind of overkill on a device capable of generating almost no power, human power needs to power things directly for efficiency,

This is where it gets complicated, at least for me.
bike charger panel.jpg

It is a geek project & I am not sure it will be of any use.
I learned of the magazine when they did a article on citrus in cold parts of Russia.

If I were to build a pedal generator, i would find an automotive blower motor or the like and use that as a generator, a simple volt meter and a couple of switches, there are all kinds of things like booster packs that have all of the voltage spliting tech in them that are often available for next to free because a switch fails. Simple works best.

If I were to build a pedal generator, i would find an automotive blower motor or the like and use that as a generator, a simple volt meter and a couple of switches, there are all kinds of things like booster packs that have all of the voltage spliting tech in them that are often available for next to free because a switch fails. Simple works best.
Got a print or design?

Got a print or design?
No plan or design, I usually plan as I go, because i always try to build from salvage, the basic design of the unit could be the same as the link that you provided, I am not saying that that design is wrong , just that the amount of tech involved is a bit over the top. of course the stuff may be salvage, but I doubt it

@joel, thank you for linking us to low tech magazine, I used to check int the site fairly often, but kind of drifted away, browsing their site is time well spent especially for preppers and homesteaders

I'd get myself a one wire alternator a battery and a bike and spin that bad boy!
that is definitely a good starting point, but an alternator draws a fair bit of power, one would have to keep that in mind when selecting the gearing, but it would be a simple source of 12 v energy for sure.

The one wire alternators have a permanent magnet on the rotor and the stator is wired into a full wave rectifier bridge (s diodes) to produce direct current. You could remove the voltage regulator unless you want to charge 12v batteries. The alternator, at any given speed, is a constant power device. If you turn it fast enough to generate 12 volts and 36 amps you can regulate it to make 6 volts at 72 amps. Without a regulator the alternator will put out higher voltage as the RPM increases. It would not be difficult to spin it fast enough to make 90 volts. Modern alternators can generate 200 amps at about 3000 rpm at 12 - 13 volts. (2.4 to 2.6 Kw) It will take 5 to 7 HP to do that so on a bicycle it is not going to happen.

Latest posts

Back