How to build a coal burning forge

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
You need 2 55 gallon drums. cut the bottom out of one, and 25% of the side
see my picture of mine. it will also need an exhaust hole cut into the top

on the other drum, you need to cut a hole for a cast iron brake drum to fit into the top
a hole for the blower pipe
and on as a cleanout. to access the 2'' cap

marble.png
celtic.png
marble1.png
forge 2 002.JPG
forge blower 002.JPG

for your blower. try and find a gas furnace exhaust blower like the one in the picture
if not. you can use a hair dryer. but you will go through a bunch of them

use the flex dryer vent hose to hook up the blower the the pipe

Nice design. I was going to build one from an old gas grill and use a old brake drum as a firepit and hook up an old hand cranked blower to it. But ran across a guy about 50 miles from here that wheels and deals in old blacksmith gear. I traded him my blower for a old forge, complete with stand and a smaller blower. It works great and for small jobs will do all I'll need.

Nice design. I was going to build one from an old gas grill and use a old brake drum as a firepit and hook up an old hand cranked blower to it. But ran across a guy about 50 miles from here that wheels and deals in old blacksmith gear. I traded him my blower for a old forge, complete with stand and a smaller blower. It works great and for small jobs will do all I'll need.

Because of my copd I can no longer play with fire i gave my to a guy that wanted to learn.
the smoke and fumes put me in the hospital.
If you are willing. I need a new round knife. I will trade you some type of leather work for it.
here is a little trinket that sells pretty good at flea markets
cross2.jpeg

Nope never had a chance. Too many other projects in the works.
Still need to get an anvil. I've got a small 50 let, but its beat up and broken. I'd like to find a 120 to 180 lber
The loons around here want 2X the cost of a new high quality anvil for some POS they dug out of a barn that will take weeks of work to make useful again.

My son just bought a new USA-made steel 112# for about $500 delivered.
I bought a new China-made steel 88# for $200 delivered. We are both happy enough with what we received.
I have used the small forge I made a few times now and it seems to work fine. Cannot buy coal anywhere close to where I live so I will likely buy a propane forge too.

You can use oil drums or brick & fire bricks, welded frames.

Latest posts

Back