How to marinade/cook a London Broil?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've never done one of these before, but since my local grocery had the flank steak (or whatever that cut of meat is) on sale - buy one get one free - I thought I'd give it a try. You can't hardly beat the price of an already less expensive cut of meat when it's two-for-one.

I read that it is important to either poke a lot of holes in the meat or criss-cross cut 1/8" deep slices in the top so that marinade can seep in. In addition to these criss-cross cuts, the London Broil I have had in restaurants is sliced into thin strips, nearly through, but not quite. So I'll emulate that cutting method I guess.

As far as marinades, anyone have any tested/trusted ideas? I was just going to make something up. I figure soy sauce, Worchestershire, lemon juice, beef flavor "Better than Bouillon", and a bit of olive oil might be good ingredients. Any other ideas? I plan to let is sit in the marinade overnight in the fridge. I'd probably add some salt and pepper then let it sit out for an hour before cooking too. Since the name includes "broil", I assume that's how you cook this thing? In your oven, under the broiler?

The ones I've had in restaurants have all been very tender and tasty. I don't know how they get it so tender when it's basically a tough cut of meat. I know how to do that in a smoker (low heat, long hours), but how do you do it under a broiler? I assume the marinading will help some.

If what you have is what I know as a flank steak, yummy. I marinate a whole steak in homemade teriyaki sauce, which I cannot give the recipe for as it is packed in a box, somewhere in a 40' container, on a truck maybe on the road to some where as yet unknown.

However, poke holes, do not slice and marinate ,for several days; up to three days works well. Slap that baby on a BBQ medium rare, and let it rest when done.
Slice thin and serve. If using a salty marinate like teriyaki do not salt. If you over salt it will be shoe leather.

Latest posts

Back