1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.
    Dismiss Notice

How to post an image on HCL (tutorial)

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by Sentry18, Jan 8, 2020.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 8, 2020 #1

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

This has come up a number of times recently and so I am going to write up a quick and potentially incomplete tutorial on how to post an image. Hopefully others will add useful tips and information as well. I will edit this post as needed and make it a sticky so it is easy to reference.

1. The easiest and best way to post an image is to first download or save that image to your hard drive. This varies depending on the operating system you use and where you are getting the picture from. Sometimes it is as easy as right clicking on the image and selecting save as then directing your operating system where you want to store that image. You may also need to use the snipping tool including in Windows 10 or a screen capture utility (most phones, tablets, and browsers already have that option built in).

2. Images may include photos, scans, memes, cartoons, or other pictures. Most normal image formats are supports by HCL. If you receive and error or cannot upload an image it is possible to convert it to a file format that is supported by the forum. There is also a size limitation on photos as they are stored on the forum server. If you are receiving an error you can receive your photo in your preferred photo editing software or use MS Paint. I generally resize images to a width of approx. 700-800 pixels unless I want enhanced details, in which case I resize to a width of 900-1080 pixels.

3. While some images are owned by you, and others are public domain, some images on the internet may be copyrighted and protected by law. Please do no post protected images without giving fully credit to the source of that image. Also, to comply with forum standards, please do not post images with profanity or obscene imagery.

4. Back to posting an image! Presuming that the image you want to post has been saved all you need to do is create a new post or go to the next available comment box in an active thread. You will then select upload a file as seen below.

Capture2.PNG

5. This will open a file box with images that are stored on your device. You may need to find the correct folder or sub-folder where you image is stored. Once you find the correct image, select it and click open.

Capture3.PNG

6. You now have the option to insert the image into your post. You can insert them all at once. You can elect to insert only a thumbnail (a small version of the photo that others can make larger to look at) or a full size version. Most people elect to insert a full size image. It is important to note that where you left the cursor is where the image is going to post. You can place it before your text, after your text, or right in the middle. But that is where the image will show up. Then all you have to do is click post reply, and your image will be posted.

Capture4.PNG

7. And now you know how to post an image on HCL. There are other methods, like posting from a URL, but those can be problematic and can result in a broken link or other error making your post seem empty or no longer make sense. Uploading them to the forum ensures a continuity of information over the long haul.

If you have additional questions, feel free to post them down below.

Here is the uploaded image following the steps outlines above:

65475701_2233664000094924_4561916197155197658_n.jpg

2. Jan 14, 2020 #2

Angie

Angie

Angie

Porch Lover Staff Member Admin Moderator Neighbor

And if you want the very easy way. Just copy and paste an image.
    But what Sentry has posted above is what most people will use to share an image they have on phone, tablet or computer.

3. Feb 12, 2020 #3

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Neighbor HCL Supporter

Thank you

Sentry18 likes this.
  4. Feb 13, 2020 #4

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome. Neighbor

I use copy/paste a lot for pics I find on the interwebs. Also this software will allow drag and drop. I use the upload a file function if the image is in a file on my PC.

MoBookworm1957, Angie and Sentry18 like this.
  5. Feb 15, 2020 #5

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Neighbor HCL Supporter

Thank you for the information too.

Terri9630 and Sentry18 like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted