How To Preserve Extra Eggs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was once working on a farm doing some dry stone walling with a few other people, we were asked to clear out the farm house as it had been vacated, I ended up in the dairy where there was a large amount of eggs on egg trays (30 to a tray about 4 or 5 trays) , none of the other people would touch them (city lads mostly) as the eggs hadnt been washed and were covered in chicken "poo" so I took them home and we were eating eggs for months, I think out of the whole batch we had about 3 bad ones, we did the water test so we knew which ones were "off" before we cracked them.
I have "pickled" hard boiled eggs in vinegar, thats usually a winter thing, same with onions. maybe thats just a British thing.
these days I buy my eggs from a local small scale supplier 12 at a time about once every 2 weeks.

Last edited:
That's funny. Most eggs I collect aren't perfectly clean by any means. But many people think that brown eggs are better than white eggs, and they don't know what to think of our green and blue eggs.

More proof that the aliens are among us! ;)

In case no one has mentioned so far, add a little salt and mix well before freezing. I freeze in zip locks 8 at a time and they scramble or work in cooking any time. The salt prevents the proteins from denaturing even after a long time. Cooked some that were a year old. Makes excellent dog food, too, but then I'm a fan of real food even for the dog and sometimes I'm out of meat for him.

Sixty One Uses for Salt with Some Comment on the Kind of Salt to Use / Emergence of Advertising in
America: 1850-1920 / Duke Digital Repository

on page 10
How to keep eggs:
Pack fresh eggs small end down in salt but do not let the eggs touch each other. Small holes should be made in the bottom of the box to allow the moisture to drain off. Eggs packed in this way will keep a long time.

This looks interesting. I wonder if the salt flavor seeps into the egg.
My money is on no.

I suspect the salt would function as a descicant to soak open water.

Ben

General observation on this topic

How many million eggs were sacrificed in the process of compiling this wealth of information on how to preserve eggs.

Ben

And, how many people had to run to the sink or bathroom to vomit?

I prefer sodium silicate.

I thought about using sodium silicate, but after seeing several successful videos on lime water, I decided to try that. Much more readily available, and cheap. And less messy.

This is the first video I saw using lime. She mistakenly calls it ‘water glassing’ but she uses lime, not water glass (sodium silicate).

Last edited:
Lime water should be a by product of making lime for plaster etc.

Dig up shale, collect shells, or other sources if calcium.

Build a furnace with vents at the bottom from clay and straw. Fill 5he furnace with layers of fuel shells to the top.

Let it burn for a day.

Tear it down and collect the chunks of (?) quick lime (which are caustic). Toss then into water and let it bubble.

That process may be enough or require some adjustment.

I like primitive solutions.

Ben

Lime water should be a by product of making lime for plaster etc.

Dig up shale, collect shells, or other sources if calcium.

Build a furnace with vents at the bottom from clay and straw. Fill 5he furnace with layers of fuel shells to the top.

Let it burn for a day.

Tear it down and collect the chunks of (?) quick lime (which are caustic). Toss then into water and let it bubble.

That process may be enough or require some adjustment.

I like primitive solutions.

Ben
I am going to write this one down. A lost art that could come in handy.
On a related note, has anyone ever run water through hardwood ashes for lye and actually used it for soap making?

We use shredded pine (I think it is sold as bedding for horses or something) for nesting material. I throw a couple of handfuls in every day and pick out the mess the girls sometimes leave. Normally our eggs are spotless.

Pickled eggs? Yes, of course. But we also want ’fresh’ eggs for cooking.

I am going to write this one down. A lost art that could come in handy.
On a related note, has anyone ever run water through hardwood ashes for lye and actually used it for soap making?

I've thought about it but haven't tried it. There are (or were) YouTube videos showing it.

Reminds me to take out those eggs we froze a few months ago to see if they pour out and seperate like they are said to.We did take one jar out 3 months ao and they tasted a little rubbery.See if this one is better.

Last edited:
I saw a video where they freeze dried the egg.

Freeze drying is getting to be a big thing around here, I guess. Kind of like canning is so yesterday? I like the concept, but at this stage of the game, the investment just doesn’t draw me. Funny, until recently freeze dried eggs were totally uncommon, to me anyway.

Freeze drying is getting to be a big thing around here, I guess. Kind of like canning is so yesterday? I like the concept, but at this stage of the game, the investment just doesn’t draw me. Funny, until recently freeze dried eggs were totally uncommon, to me anyway.
The Princess has a freeze dryer on her wish list but i insisted we have to have solar/wind/battery energy to run it. Those suckers have to draw down a vacuum and gobbles up energy.

Ben

I scramble them in 6's and freeze. But only started this summer, normally I bake cakes/quiches/pancakes etc and freeze. I borrowed a dryer last year for herbs, and it took forever, so I won't be buying one.

Latest posts

Back