How To Preserve Extra Eggs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have to be spicy to keep guys from eating a bunch of them.
I can tell you that if you eat 6 or 8 of 'em and wash them down with 8-10 Budweiser's, the next morning you will release gas that will make WW1 trench-warfare mustard-gas seem like child's play.View attachment 39054 gaah
(not that I ever did that, it was my brother🤪)
Few years ago a buddy and I hit our favorite dive bar AFTER his retirement party and polished off one of those gallon jars behind the bar. The next day was..... Interesting.🤣🤣

@Grumpy521 I made dozen boiled eggs and used only hot sauce we have , louisiana hot sauce and white vinegar sealed and in fridge for the 9 days.
DSCN0995.JPG

Whatever happened to pickled eggs?
They were on every bar I sat at back in the day.
414tbHFDCgL_720x.jpg

Going by the ingredients, it doesn't look that complicated.
Used to be common practice for bar owners (well, in the bars I frequented) to sell pickled kielbasa as bar food. When the sausage was gone, he filled the jar back up with hardboiled eggs and let it set a week. Yeah!

Used to be common practice for bar owners (well, in the bars I frequented) to sell pickled kielbasa as bar food. when the sausage was gone, he filled the jar back up with hardboiled eggs and let it set a week. Yeah!
Out here in the sticks, we still find the pickled redhots behind the bar. Pigs feet too.

Here is a mix I've used a couple of times... I'm not that fond of pickled eggs but these were good. Be careful of the Habanero's. I made one batch so hot I had to toss them..

Ingredients. Combine these in a sauce pan:

1) 2 Cups of White Vinegar
2) 1/2 Cup of Water
3) 1/2 Cup of White Sugar
4) 1 teaspoonful of salt
5) 1 teaspoonful pickling spice
6) 1 teaspoonful red pepper flakes
7) 4-5 cloves
8) 1 Cinnamon Stick
9) 2-3 Habanero Peppers (orange color) cut into rings (discard stems). Include the seeds as well. BEWARE: the oils from the surface of these can really burn. I usually use the grocery bag they come in to hold them while slicing and cleaning. Wash your hands with soap and water after handling them.
10) 2-3 Green Jalapeno Peppers cut into slices
11) 1/2 Red Pepper cut into strips
12) A few rings of a freshly cut White Onion

Allow all ingredients to simmer on the stove for at least 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally while simmering.

Step 3: Combine Eggs and Broth

Remove the broth from the heat and scoop some of the peppers/onions into a Quart sized Mason Jar. Add 3 eggs. Scoop some more of the peppers/onions/spices into the jar. Add 3 more eggs. Continue to add the peppers/onions/spices and eggs. When done, pour the remaining broth into the Mason Jar, using a funnel if you like, to within a quarter inch of the top. You may have some leftover broth, depending on the size of the eggs and peppers, etc. If you are short on broth, just top off with white vinegar.

Hand tighten a lid and ring on the Mason Jar and let it cool. Then place it in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.

Here is a second recipe I also liked.

1 doz. hard boiled eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 whole cayenne peppers
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
1/2 cup of water
2 bay leaves
2 1/2 cups vinegar
2 tablespoons Tony Chacheres
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Shell your eggs and pack in jar. Mix all the ingredients and boil..Let brine cool then pour over eggs and seal jar. Refrigerate for at least 2 weeks then enjoy.

Pickled eggs are an abomination. One of the nastiest things I've ever eaten. I seriously don't understand how y'all do it. Vinegar isn't meant for human consumption...
Does this mean that you have never made picked kielbasa the main course of a meal? Along with the free peanuts of course.

Pickled eggs are an abomination. One of the nastiest things I've ever eaten. I seriously don't understand how y'all do it. Vinegar isn't meant for human consumption...
Yes, they are an abomination.
The whole idea with them sitting on the bar is not to take the place of a cheeseburger, but to be slightly better than a handful of pretzels or peanuts.
As for vinegar, don't tell me you like sweet pickles more than real ones in vinegar:oops:.

Yes, they are an abomination.
The whole idea with them sitting on the bar is not to take the place of a cheeseburger, but to be slightly better than a handful of pretzels or peanuts.
As for vinegar, don't tell me you like sweet pickles more than real ones in vinegar:oops:.
I don't like pickles, period. But pickles in vinegar are disgusting and they infect everything they touch with their stench and horrific taste. I hate when the damn restaurant forgets to delete the pickles from my burger. Even after taking them off and throwing them away the vinegar traces left on the burger make me want to retch...

Back a mere century or so ago, hill folks in Vermont and New Hampshire believed that a spring tonic was necessary to clear their systems of the detritus winter had left behind. The 'go to' potion was honey in cider vinegar.

Back a mere century or so ago, hill folks in Vermont and New Hampshire believed that a spring tonic was necessary to clear their systems of the detritus winter had left behind. The 'go to' potion was honey in cider vinegar.
Apple cider vinegar is a bit different. I wouldn't say it tastes good. But diluted with hot water, it's drinkable. Almost like a tea, but one you'd only drink because you know it's good for you...

Apple cider vinegar is a bit different. I wouldn't say it tastes good. But diluted with hot water, it's drinkable. Almost like a tea, but one you'd only drink because you know it's good for you...
Well shucks, we'uns only use distilled "white" vinegar for cleaning and disinfecting stuff like humidifier filters. Some folks do use a little wine vinegar in beef marinade, but that's getting kinda fancy.

Well shucks, we'uns only use distilled "white" vinegar for cleaning and disinfecting stuff like humidifier filters. Some folks do use a little wine vinegar in beef marinade, but that's getting kinda fancy.
Hell, I've used ACV to clean pots and pans. I forgot one in the sink once and then I left for 8 days. Whatever was growing on it tried to kill me when I washed it. I had to beat it to death with a bat before I washed the pot. Then I couldn't get this weird, rough residue off of it with the dish soap. 5 minutes soaking with ACV took it right off...

I worked with a man who mother pickled cucumber every year & give him a few jars. He was cleaning out his food storage & found a jar his mother had made & she had passed 60month/5 years before he found them. He said they were good as ever.

I've been thinking about how to preserve eggs but haven't tried freezing them raw yet since I'm short on freezer space. I hadn't thought about cooking them and then freezing but I really like that idea.

" I'm short on freezer space "
I blessing & a curse.

In March ..........We froze 66 eggs in 3 quart canning jard, 22 eggs in each qt,jar.

Yesterday we took out one and thawed it in warm water. Then we scrambled all 22 in butter. Looked ok ,smelled ok a little runny yolk,whites seperated but basically looked ok in jar.. Using them for Molly dog food mix. Froze some and left a little in freidge to use during week.

They work well, and if you don't like them scrambled, they work just fine in baking. Our young chickens just started laying. They were the hundred chicks we got end of July. Yesterday 2 eggs, today 4 eggs

We like them scrambled too. Just didn't est them yet. Will test our next jar we open and tell you how they taste.

You can save unwashed fresh eggs in Sodium Silicate solution. No refrigeration needed and they take up very little room.
If you use a 5 gallon bucket and wire egg baskets that fit inside you just keep the eggs covered with the sodium silicate liquid. When one basket is full start another one. If you fill a bucket start another one. If you have more than you can use in a year then donate to the local food bank or church soup kitchen. They are fresh eggs that can be fried, scrambled, used in your favorite recipe just as you would any other fresh eggs.

You can save unwashed fresh eggs in Sodium Silicate solution. No refrigeration needed and they take up very little room.
If you use a 5 gallon bucket and wire egg baskets that fit inside you just keep the eggs covered with the sodium silicate liquid. When one basket is full start another one. If you fill a bucket start another one. If you have more than you can use in a year then donate to the local food bank or church soup kitchen. They are fresh eggs that can be fried, scrambled, used in your favorite recipe just as you would any other fresh eggs.

Last edited:
Back