How To Protect Autos,Solar From Nuclear or Sun

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
If the sun does throw something at us March 18th how can be protect our cars and solar?

I know we went into this in detail at PS a few years ago but I forgot most of it. I know I plan to have extra groceries and gas on hand keep vehicles full and a couple gas cans but what about protection of our electrical components?

I would recommend a massive Faraday cage inside your garage. Beyond that I would recommend a Model T and some prayer. :)
I have often wondered if a building could be made into a Faraday cage, such as a garage? If so, what would we need to do to make it so? Metal lined? Grounded? I did insulate my garage so that I could heat it up if I wanted to. Would metal siding inside help make it a Faraday cage? Aluminum or steel?

Any metal trash can will work as long as it has a tight sealing lid. You need put some insulation inside, cardboard will work.

The metal of the vehicle should provide some reduction in the effect. If your vehicle won't run disconnect the battery, give the computers a minute to reset and then hook it up again. This may work on a percentage of vehicles.

I am of the opinion that a metal roofed and sided garage will help reduce the effect of a CME/EMP. Proper grounding should help but doors, windows, and roof ventilation all provide access to the pulse.

I have often wondered if a building could be made into a Faraday cage, such as a garage? If so, what would we need to do to make it so? Metal lined? Grounded? I did insulate my garage so that I could heat it up if I wanted to. Would metal siding inside help make it a Faraday cage? Aluminum or steel?

I know "digital evidence" room is one large Faraday cage. IIRC the walls and ceiling are lined with copper mesh, it has a special door and no windows. The HVAC system is shielded somehow as well. I am sure they can make a garage the same way.

I know "digital evidence" room is one large Faraday cage. IIRC the walls and ceiling are lined with copper mesh, it has a special door and no windows. The HVAC system is shielded somehow as well. I am sure they can make a garage the same way.

I thought you were kidding around with me. But this is doable I think.
What if we bought cattle fencing and covered the whole building ,roof,doors,windows with it. And grounded the autos too? That is the cheapest large quantity of metal we could afford. it wouldn't be close knit like mesh but it may help to protect some. We have a metal roof awning over our back building so maybe use that one. And use the garbage cans fro small stuff.

Any metal trash can will work as long as it has a tight sealing lid. You need put some insulation inside, cardboard will work.

The metal of the vehicle should provide some reduction in the effect. If your vehicle won't run disconnect the battery, give the computers a minute to reset and then hook it up again. This may work on a percentage of vehicles.

I am of the opinion that a metal roofed and sided garage will help reduce the effect of a CME/EMP. Proper grounding should help but doors, windows, and roof ventilation all provide access to the pulse.

Car, Good idea! I am so thankful for yall here. :Thankyou::thumbs up:

I think I messed up my reply here but hope you can figure it out.:Thankyou::thumbs up:

The size of the mesh has to be smaller than the wavelength of the pulse you are protecting against. I expect that what you want is closer to something suitable for a screen door.

The size of the mesh has to be smaller than the wavelength of the pulse you are protecting against. I expect that what you want is closer to something suitable for a screen door.

Car, I don't know what I want, thats why I'm asking yall. So guess that fence idea wasn't a good one,huh? :D That cattle wire is cheapest fencing you can get, mesh is the most expensive you can get. Found this out when we built a brooder pen fro floor of our biddies.

Copper makes sense, because of its use in electrical. I wondered about using mesh. My garage has a window. A wire mesh over that on both the exterior and interior would also make it more secure in regard to potential break ins, although no window would probably be even better. Or maybe I can completely cover that window with a piece of metal, since I do have a window cover on it anyway. It would make the garage more secure.

We made a buckboard out of automobile axle's once and horse Tobacco gave us all a ride and a half. We locked on brakes but he just drug those too. Had us and 4 grandkids on it. My donk Rosie who was running along side of us grabbed him by the mane and stopped him. She was jealous of his harness to begin with she kept trying to take it off him.
Point is a old horse and wagon would be cheaper than mesh wiring. Except for hay.

One way to get a CME into the house is through the electrical system. All the wires in your home will act as an antenna. Even a cord on an appliance will act as an antenna. An unplugged cord is a shorter antenna than one that is plugged in to the house wiring. If you have time to trip the main breaker then you eliminate hundreds or thousands of miles of antenna from the grid. My point is that wires need to be outside the faraday cage as power lines will provide a ready access to the surge if they pass through your barrier.

One way to get a CME into the house is through the electrical system. All the wires in your home will act as an antenna. Even a cord on an appliance will act as an antenna. An unplugged cord is a shorter antenna than one that is plugged in to the house wiring. If you have time to trip the main breaker then you eliminate hundreds or thousands of miles of antenna from the grid. My point is that wires need to be outside the faraday cage as power lines will provide a ready access to the surge if they pass through your barrier.

We may have time to do that, trip means turn it off,right? And unplug everything.

We may have time to do that, trip means turn it off,right? And unplug everything.
Yes, You have a main breaker switch outside your house by the meter. Flipping this switch will shutoff all power from the grid. You may also have a main breaker on your breaker box but the one on the outside keeps the worst of it from entering the home. There is nothing wrong with turning off all the breakers, switches, and unplugging everything.

Yes, You have a main breaker switch outside your house by the meter. Flipping this switch will shutoff all power from the grid. You may also have a main breaker on your breaker box but the one on the outside keeps the worst of it from entering the home. There is nothing wrong with turning off all the breakers, switches, and unplugging everything.

:thumbs up::Thankyou:

Last edited:
All these type of things are good drills and they give you a chance to refresh and improve your knowledge as well as to evaluate your preps.

Ten days seems like a lot of warning. The bigger a solar storm is the faster it travels. With 2 or 3 days warning I'm going to be a bit more concerned.

I'm not concerned with March 18.
It's a G1 storm. Take a look at this page which gives info on the different types of storms. A G1 storm occurs 1700 times per cycle (a cycle is 11 years). That averages to one occurring about every 2 days (but obviously, they're not all hitting Earth).
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/noaa-scales-explanation

Here's their description of the effect of a G1 storm:
Power systems: Weak power grid fluctuations can occur.
Spacecraft operations: Minor impact on satellite operations possible.
Other systems: Migratory animals are affected at this and higher levels; aurora is commonly visible at high latitudes (northern Michigan and Maine).

Found this.

http://nationalpost.com/life/food/c...-through-the-first-year-of-the-apocalypse/amp

Don't know how to do qowtes lol.
Only part of it.

Costco's doomsday-prepper food kits will get you through the first year of the apocalypse
  • BY LAURA BREHAUT
    ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED: MAR 9, 2018
images

The emergency food kits cost between US$1,000 and US$6,000.Costco

Ranging from US$1,000 to US$6,000, Costco’s emergency food kits, delivered to customers “discreetly” (according to the retailer) on a pallet, are designed to feed a family of four for a year, Business Insider reports.

A solar storm doesn't produce the kind of pulse that will affect your car or electronics. You might have some small amount of over-voltage if you have your computer plugged in but your surge suppressor will (should) take care of that. If you have an electric car don't plag it in during the solar storm. If you can see the aurora overhead then keep things unplugged. Your electronics and solar panels are fine as long as you disconnect from the grid for the duration.

Latest posts

Back