How to roll oats at home

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVDragonlady

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My cousin grows organic oatx, xo I bought an oat roller liike in the article. Couldn't get anywhere at all with it. Read up on oats, and it's because I'm getting them straight from the field, and they have hulls on them. Taking the hull off is a whole different process. '

MissKitty and I have rolled out / flaked Oats and other grains for over 10 years. Oats, Kamut, Spelt, Rye, Hulled and Pearled Barley mostly, experimented with Buckwheat, Hard Red Wheat and Soft White Wheat a little bit too. All with decent results. (For harder grains like Kamut, Spelt and Wheat.... it was recommended to soak overnight.)

Tried our Pasta machine before buying a flaker and wasn't happy with how much work it took or with the results but to be fair.... didn't know to soak the hard grains before rolling them.... the instructions for soaking grains came with the Roller/Flaker.

Flaker/Roller and Base cost us approximately $150.00 when we bought it.

--Dwight

flaker.png

She's not using an oat roller. She's using her pasta machine.
Anybody actually look at the website?

Never mind
*sigh*
I think that's what OldGrouch was referring to - either way a contraption in the kitchen (I don't have either). I like the info. though. Like she said a rolling pin can work - just a lot of work. (I do have a rolling pin). :)

She's not using an oat roller. She's using her pasta machine.
Anybody actually look at the website?

Never mind
*sigh*
I read it, she used what she had, but if I do it, I would need to buy a machine & I would buy the oat roller, because I do not plan to make pasta.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back