How to Seal Foods Air-Free Without a Vacuum Sealer

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found that Ziplock style bags do not seem to hold their air-tightness in a freezer for long. I don't know if this is because they are thinner and susceptible to micro-punctures, the zipper seals are not 100%, or something else. Whatever the cause, the much heavier vacuum sealer bags do a lot better for me. I can vacuum seal a steak in a high quality bag and pull it out of the freezer years later and it's still good - no frost or freezer burn at all. Not so with a Ziplock bag, no matter how much air you get out of it initially.

A vacuum sealer with get more of the air out than the water displacement method. Try doing some dried beans using both methods. The vacuum sealer method will turn that bag of beans into a solid brick that you could knock someone out with. The water displacement method won't.

But the water displacement method is better than just dropping your food into a bag and zipping it up with no attempt at all to get the air out.

I have found the particular bags below to be quite good for "generics". They're a heckuva lot cheaper than the famous brand named ones, and work just as well IMHO. I think they would be too thick and stiff to work with the water displacement method. And they don't have a zipper, so I guess that method is out in the first place. You have to melt them closed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAEGXYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use freezer Zip-Lock bags. They work really well with ground meat. I work all the air out starting with the bottom corners. I close the top like he did in the video and squeeze the meat forcing all the air out slowly finishing the closure. This will last for years in the freezer without freezer burn. If there is ANY air I will get freezer burn and it will grow from the air bubble.

this is great. so simple its elegant, im smacking myself for not thinking of it.
very short video

How to Seal Foods Air-Free Without a Vacuum Sealer​

Where was this guy, when all my friends were smoking pot.

My BIL sent an employee to get a roll of freezer, but the employee bought deli paper.
This is bad, after three deer/250 pounds of meat is wrapped, it was discovered that the meat was in deli paper.
To fix it they put the wrapped meat in freezer bag & next year when the first season deer was ready to go in the freezer.
They gave my wife & I all the leftover meat, still in the freezer bags(about 125 pounds).
We eat it over four months, so it was 12 to 15 month old & none of it was burned or tasted off or bad.
That is a lot of meat, but with four hunters in the family with five tags each, it was not a lot of meat.

Latest posts

Back