How to store grain/rice long term without mylar bags

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preppy

New Friend
Neighbor
Hello, I'm new here. Joined especifically to ask this question though i'm delighted to see quite a variety of posts and will likely stick around. So, my husband wants to be able to store grains and rice for long term. I'm talking perhaps 5-10 years, however he doesn't want to have to use mylar bags or plastic. He has his reasons I guess. That makes it tough because that and mason jars are basically all I see people everywhere recommending. I was hoping that somewhere there is someone who knows what other storage methods there are, new or old fashioned in order to achieve this without the use of these bags. We have food grade buckets, just need ideas on what other materials etc can be used before they go inside the bucket. Do any of you have any tips, advice, successful anecdotes about storing dry food using various methods and materials? I can't wait to read any answers. Thanks!

mylar bags arent the end all. in 2013 i put up a quite a bit of rice in mylar with O2 aborbers. when i opened then in 2018 they were completely FULL of weevils.

now i freeze or heat any grain before storage and it seems to be workin so far.

i guess as far as rice goes, as long as its in an airtight container it should last.

dry canning/ oven canning is also an option , although controversial. if you googled "what temp do weevil eggs die?" and used a thermometer to check that the internal temp of the contents of the jar reached said temp when canning, well then i bet your rice would last forever..... it seems to be working very well so far anyway.

When I was first learning about prepping and food storage, around 1980, 5 gallon buckets and canning jars were the main thing used for food storage. Mylar bags were unheard of then. I do know that plastic buckets are supposed to not be 100% tight, relative to the plastic being porous enough to allow oxygen to slowly pass through. Dry ice was used to be commonly used to remove the oxygen from the grains in the bucket.

I have some mylar bags, but I am not 100% a fan of using them. It always seems as though they get a pin prick sized hole in them from the grains or whatever.

People have had rodents get into their mylar bags when they thought barrier was enough, and they didn't need anything more.

My first preference for protecting food is in #10 cans with oxygen absorbers added before the lids is sealed. You used to be able to borrow canners from the LDS warehouse to dry can at home. I did that, bought some cans and boxes from them and dry canned some garbanzos, blue corn, and a few other things. That is no longer an option, to borrow canners.

One time when I was at the LDS Bishops warehouse, canning and purchasing canned dry food, there was an older couple who talked about how their church got a semi load of wheat delivered one Saturday and it had to go home with people. They said they went to the hardware store and bought plastic garbage cans with lids and filled them, and taped them shut. They made homemade bread for 30 years from that wheat and told me they still had some. That was before mylar.

I've had good luck storing dry goods (rice, beans, lentils, oats. pasta, etc.) in food safe plastic buckets without mylar. We usually put a couple oxygen absorbers and (food safe) desiccant packets in with them. We end up with issues (bugs or spoilage) with less than one in every 2 dozen buckets. I know if I make it too complicated or expensive I won't do it, so I usually find the cheepiest, easiest way to do things with a decent chance of success.

We are fortunate our current house has a separate room off our basement that's cool and dry - our results were less successful when we were storing them in an un-insulated attic above our garage... So definitely take your storage conditions, quality of product, etc. into consideration

i think where someone lives might have something to do with it. if one lives in mississippi where it is humid and hot certain methods work better there vs living in montana where it is cooler and dryer. ive tried the food grade bucket with dry ice method and store in the coolest place in the house. but ive tried other methods too.

in a dry location, that can be used but maybe not necessary and all one needs is freeze the rice to kill off any potential critters, then store in clean sterile soda or juice plastic bottles and store in coolest place in house. some people might toss in a oxy absorber but might not be necessary for a cooler climate. heat, light, moisture and weevils are your enemy, lol

ive lived ion both temp climates and used both methods with good results.

and WELCOME to the forum.

Back