How to treat unknown bug bites

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have been working in the yard, cleaning, clearing, digging, amending. Sometimes I get bug bites and I have no idea what the cause was. I haven't seen a mosquito yet this year. I have never had a chigger bite in Colorado. We do have gnats, but I haven't seen any yet. I have seen a whole variety of spiders of all sizes, but I am careful when I am working not to pick up anything that might have spiders on it until I have cleaned it off.

What suggestions do any of you have for bug bites that itch and swell a little? I could take Benadryl at bedtime and then I would sleep well. Should I apply an ointment or cream?

Any of the species of plantain can't be beat for bug bites. Plantain can actually draw out any venom and ease itching. It's also a good antiseptic.

Little known trick... Chlorophyll neutralizes almost all venom types from insect bites. So just about any green plant, crushed and held on a bite, will ease itching, as long as the plant you chose isn't toxic. Fresh green, very moist grass will do.

By moist I mean internally. Not dried out grass... green grass growing by an outdoor spigot for example.

Last edited:
My family always follow the same treatment for bug bites: Wash the bite with soap and water and give it a little bit. If it still bothers you put ice on it for approx. 10 minutes to reduce swelling. After that we apply a product called After Bite. I believe it is ammonia based and helps with redness and itching. Sometimes we skip the ice step but we always do the soap & water step and the After Bite. We have two versions, one for kids that doesn't sting and works 80% as well and the version that works better but will sting for a few seconds.

We have never experienced a bug bite that needed more treatment than that. Although I will point out that the Mrs. and some of our kids take Zyrtec all summer long which may keep their bug bites from being aggravated.

Bugs don't bite me much. Although surrounded by woods and have a creek nearby, I may get bit by a mosquito 2-3 times per year. My wife says she gets bit several times per day.

I was going to try my Tecnu product for poison ivy contact but found they make an anti-itch product specifically for bug bites, rashes, poison ivy and such so I ordered some for the Mrs.
https://www.amazon.com/Calagel-Medicated-Anti-Itch-Protectant-Relief/dp/B07KQR2LBD
I'll let you know once she gives it a try.

Ticks, ticks, and more ticks this year. I suppose it's because we really had no winter to speak of.
Walk across yard...ticks on ya.
I got more tick bites this year than ever.

I have on hand Mupirocin(spelling?)
Which is a very expensive Bactraban antibiotic ointment. Apply lightly , bite heals in a day or two, without itching or infection.

Jim

Any of the species of plantain can't be beat for bug bites. Plantain can actually draw out any venom and ease itching. It's also a good antiseptic.

Little known trick... Chlorophyll neutralizes almost all venom types from insect bites. So just about any green plant, crushed and held on a bite, will ease itching, as long as the plant you chose isn't toxic. Fresh green, very moist grass will do.

By moist I mean internally. Not dried out grass... green grass growing by an outdoor spigot for example.
I like this. I do have small patch of plantain that I tried to get rid of a few years ago, before I learned it is a good medicinal. It is still growing. I know it is a good medicinal, but haven't really followed through with what and how to use it. There was a post in my area by a man a few years ago, looking for plantain. He was part Native American, from one of the Carolina's and said he had learned many things about medicinal plants from his grandmother, but hadn't seen any plantain here. I directed him to an area in a local park where there was lots of it growing.

I am wondering if dandelion leaves would also work, since you said just about any green plant? In my area, they are more common and more easily found than plantain. I'm thinking when I am not in an area where I know where the plantain is, but the dandelions are doing well, as they often do.

My family always follow the same treatment for bug bites: Wash the bite with soap and water and give it a little bit. If it still bothers you put ice on it for approx. 10 minutes to reduce swelling. After that we apply a product called After Bite. I believe it is ammonia based and helps with redness and itching. Sometimes we skip the ice step but we always do the soap & water step and the After Bite. We have two versions, one for kids that doesn't sting and works 80% as well and the version that works better but will sting for a few seconds.

We have never experienced a bug bite that needed more treatment than that. Although I will point out that the Mrs. and some of our kids take Zyrtec all summer long which may keep their bug bites from being aggravated.

I think having some Ater Bite in my BOB is something I need to do. I think I have some in one of my medical bags (which need inventorying. I need to work on them.) I know I used to have something for bites, but haven't had a bite in years, so haven't even thought of it.
Bugs don't bite me much. Although surrounded by woods and have a creek nearby, I may get bit by a mosquito 2-3 times per year. My wife says she gets bit several times per day.

I was going to try my Tecnu product for poison ivy contact but found they make an anti-itch product specifically for bug bites, rashes, poison ivy and such so I ordered some for the Mrs.
https://www.amazon.com/Calagel-Medicated-Anti-Itch-Protectant-Relief/dp/B07KQR2LBD
I'll let you know once she gives it a try.
Thank you. I will followup on researching about this product.
Ticks, ticks, and more ticks this year. I suppose it's because we really had no winter to speak of.

Which is a very expensive Bactraban antibiotic ointment. Apply lightly , bite heals in a day or two, without itching or infection.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. I am going to research about Mupirocin as well.

Even though I haven't had any bites in years, I do believe it is important to be prepared in this area of medical products.

I know it is a good medicinal, but haven't really followed through with what and how to use it.

If you already have the best medicine there is, plantain... there is no point in worrying about dandelions or anything else. Make a simple tincture out of plantain... For external use rubbing alcohol is fine for a menstruum. There are lots of videos and websites to explain how. Any of the herb books I put in the library also explain how.

Anytime you get an itch bug bite soak the pad of a bandaid with your tincture and apply. A pint of tincture will last years...

If you already have the best medicine there is, plantain... there is no point in worrying about dandelions or anything else. Make a simple tincture out of plantain... For external use rubbing alcohol is fine for a menstruum. There are lots of videos and websites to explain how. Any of the herb books I put in the library also explain how.

Anytime you get an itch bug bite soak the pad of a bandaid with your tincture and apply. A pint of tincture will last years...
I didn't know we could use rubbing alcohol. I will watch some videos and make some. Tinctures go in dark bottles and are kept in the dark?

I didn't know we could use rubbing alcohol. Tinctures go in dark bottles?

Write on the jar or printed label... "For external use Only!"

Never make a tincture you intend to take internally with rubbing alcohol, common sense.

I make tinctures and use regular mason jars... clear. I keep them in a dark room. The room has only one small window and faces north. It gets no direct sunlight and little ambient light. If you have not such room buy a case or container of some type.

This isn't rocket science nor does it have to be expensive, simple common sense measures will do.

Last edited:

Jim

We are also bombarted with tics this year .We too do more tic picking than ever. :ghostly:

Last edited:
Write on the jar or printed label... "For external use Only!"

Never make a tincture you intend to take internally with rubbing alcohol, common sense.

I make tinctures and use regular mason jars... clear. I keep them in a dark room. The room has only one small window and faces north. It gets no direct sunlight and little ambient light. If you have not such room buy a case or container of some type.

This isn't rocket science nor does it have to be expensive, simple common sense measures will do.
Thank you for your wisdom.
I have long thought that a thread just about tincture making would be great. I have never made one or used one, but sometimes, that is why I should start the thread.

This woman is a little odd.

Last edited:
There are books where the details of tincture making fill a chapter or several. There is even one book that is required reading for most of the top herbal medicine schools in the country. It covers just about everyway there is to apply herbs as mdicine.

Thats why I haven't started a thread for making tinctures... To be informative tincture making needs structure, topics and subtopics, organized in a way that is educational and can be referenced... I think a long continuous thread wouldn't really be helpful at all, just confusing, details would get lost etc.

I put some of the best books available in the library that cover this topic. These books are written by folks who have been making tinctures decades longer than I have... Who run their own schools and teach this everyday. If someone is serious about learning the art of tincture making I highly recommend getting one of those books.

@Weedygarden I put a book in the herbal list for you.

Last edited:
I've been working on my first aid kit. I saw a list of things to stock and saw a recommendation for bug bite relief. I ordered some, applied it to a bite and the bite immediately stopped itching. I looked at the ingredient: baking soda. I didn't need to order this applicator, but now that I have it, it will be handy to have in my first aid kit, and I will use baking soda at home.

I've been working on my first aid kit. I saw a list of things to stock and saw a recommendation for bug bite relief. I ordered some, applied it to a bite and the bite immediately stopped itching. I looked at the ingredient: baking soda. I didn't need to order this applicator, but now that I have it, it will be handy to have in my first aid kit, and I will use baking soda at home.
My go to for most bug bites is ACV but baking soda would definitely be easier to pack in a kit.

I am confused and would humbly request enlightenment.

Baking soda raises pH. Acid like ACV lower pH.

Does it depend on the type of bug bite?

Curious

Ben
Great point - hadn't even thought of it. I don't know the answer to it.
I've never put Bk Soda on bites so can't attest to how well it works.
I have used ACV with good results (especially effective on bee stings which are not bites, but)

Can put ice to reduce swelling. We treat everything with purell or other type of alcohol based hand sanitizer- even zits/pimples. Gets rid of it in a day or so.

The stem section that is just below the Elderberry flower cluster can be cut. Only need about an inch of it. Take a round pencil and roll it over the cutting so that the juice and clear gel comes out. Dab that on the bug bite. Also will remove warts.

Latest posts

Back