• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Homesteading & Country Living and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

How valuable are you?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I just stumbled into the Buy/Sale/Barter thread and it got me thinking. What do I have to barter if the need should arise? I have lots of things in mind, but I think my most valuable barter tool would be some of my skills. I think my medical knowledge would serve me well. Plus, I have other abilities and knowledge on top of that. DH also has a lot of knowledge in, dare I say...."guy" stuff that I am clueless about. LOL! He'd be a huge asset anywhere as he is really multi-talented.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I know what my "value" is in today's world b/c I know what I can make with the skills and certifications I have today. But, it got me thinking......how valuable would I be in a different environment. Sure I've got "stuff" of value, but what if I was on vacation in Mexico without access to it? I still think I'd be fine there, although some more Spanish speaking skills would certainly increase my value there.

I guess what I'm thinking is that I think it comes down to how adaptive someone is and what they can contribute of value if things weren't what they are today. Our health is the most important thing in this world, so I think health care workers would fare well.....as long as they had common sense to go with it. I think those who are knowledgeable in alternative medicine would fare well too. I kinda feel bad for those who have degrees in hospitality management or political science. I hope they're not depending upon their certifications to float them thru in a SHTF situation. Those folks might be the ones picking strawberries in the field if they don't have any additional skills. But, I highly doubt many of those folks have even thought about this topic.

100 pounds of brass, iron, steel, some copper, some high carbon steel, want to make things with it.
I could let it go for food, a garden & small orchard, so some food too.
Some trees that could be lumber, smaller one for fire wood.

Having access to what you need (with medicine or alternative medicine) would be high on the list of course. I've been studying herbal medicine for years and practicing on myself and family. I suggest things to others but mostly mind my own business. Sometimes people have come to me, asking advice on what to use for various things but I usually don't hear back from them on their results. People expect almost immediate results but it takes a while sometimes. sometimes not.
Otherwise, how valuable am I? I can identify a few plants, probably not as many as @Peanut or @Grizzleyette___Adams.
Not too well trained with first aid, but I used to be. My kids are trained. I'm not CPR certified.
No good at hunting and probably can't fish with much result (it's been a while).
Skinning, gutting, etc. nope.
I can sew. I can teach kids, I'm really good with kids. I'm ok at cooking.
Animals that are aggressive...people tell me after I meet the animal that it is usually intolerant and that animal normally goes berserk, so I guess I'm good with animals. Or animals that are scared of strangers, I'm good at gaining their trust.
I can usually "read" a person on the creep meter well enough. I can fix stuff but not vehicles, motors, etc.
So that's for what I have right now, but we can all learn new things. I don't think I'm too valuable with real life skills but I'm teachable.
I guess it depends on what all is important to a particular group for what contributable skills are seen as valuable.

A gentle reminder... when the SHTF, it may not always be wise to let on the full extent of how valuable you are, especially if you have limited protection in place. If you do, make certain that you never become vulnerable to being held hostage because of your valuable skills or knowledge. Even if you are on "safe ground" surrounded by your family and friends... if word gets around about how valuable you are then you are liable to be viewed as a commodity...like gold, and you may need to be guarded just like gold.

Some of you may remember this thread, "OPSEC with your preps." https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/opsec-with-your-preps.1272/page-2

.... there's that old adage, "The more you carry in your head, the less you need." A few words of caution about sharing too much of what you KNOW:

In spite of trying to be discreet about my level of hurricane preps that I had in my van, and the lifetime accumulation of prepper knowledge in my noggin, it turned out to be my downfall.

In spite of best-laid plans, I was trapped among strangers during and after Hurricane Katrina. Long story short: after the roads were cleared, I indicated that I would be moving on. They informed me that I would not be allowed to leave.

Say whut?

They told me that I was too valuable to let go. (To the very end, they had NO idea what all I had in that van...much of it was buried under religious literature, ha ha ha.) But the joke was on me. It was my know-how that they wanted. It seemed like I had the solution to just about every emergency that came up (from medical knowledge to how to purify water, to you-name-it... gaaahhh these people were so clueless.)

I don't know what was worse, the looters or them. In the end, I borrowed a lesson from King David (1 Samuel 21: 13-15) and acted like I was pure-D crazy. Wild-eyed. This, and the fact that I was more than capable of defending myself, persuaded them that it would be a good idea to accept my offerings of batteries, lamp oil, water purification stuff, etc. etc. and just let me go. They thought that the stress of things got the better of me. When I look back on it, I must admit, that crazy stuff was not entirely a put-on act. Nights of no sleep (because of being alone among such people, AND concerns about looters had me on 24/7 alert), plus the incredible stress all took its toll on me. I think they realized that I was about to go all Cajun on them...

It worked.

Never, ever let on what you know or have. But, as you can see from my story, this is not always possible.

We have 3 gardeners, a welder/ mechanic, 2 electricians, sheet metal man, stick framer, A nurse/ herbalist.
All raised on a farm, all with many non farming skill.
This is on a 30 acre B.O.L. with four wells & six buildings.

I can get you anything you want, for a price and as long as I am free to negotiate with those people that I deal with. They don't treat those who mess with their business partners well at all. I am more valuable left alone to work my magic.

I'm a Jack of all trades and a Master of none.

I can think outside the "Box". I"m amazed how too many of the younger employed generation come to a screeching halt when something as simple as an on/off switch fails. Equipment is out of service while they wait for the out of stock replacement switch. Jumper across it!

Communications and OPSEC deception are my specialties.

Too many times people are valued by money more than what they can contribute to society. If it hits the fan, we won't be judging by monetary means, that's for sure.

Exactly! That's why I didn't ask "what are you worth?" What your net worth is vs. what your value is are two completely different things. Take for example Justin Bieber...........I'm sure his net worth is way greater than mine, but I doubt he would carry much value in our household.

Having access to what you need (with medicine or alternative medicine) would be high on the list of course. I've been studying herbal medicine for years and practicing on myself and family. I suggest things to others but mostly mind my own business. Sometimes people have come to me, asking advice on what to use for various things but I usually don't hear back from them on their results. People expect almost immediate results but it takes a while sometimes. sometimes not.
Otherwise, how valuable am I? I can identify a few plants, probably not as many as @Peanut or @Grizzleyette___Adams.
Not too well trained with first aid, but I used to be. My kids are trained. I'm not CPR certified.
No good at hunting and probably can't fish with much result (it's been a while).
Skinning, gutting, etc. nope.
I can sew. I can teach kids, I'm really good with kids. I'm ok at cooking.
Animals that are aggressive...people tell me after I meet the animal that it is usually intolerant and that animal normally goes berserk, so I guess I'm good with animals. Or animals that are scared of strangers, I'm good at gaining their trust.
I can usually "read" a person on the creep meter well enough. I can fix stuff but not vehicles, motors, etc.
So that's for what I have right now, but we can all learn new things. I don't think I'm too valuable with real life skills but I'm teachable.
I guess it depends on what all is important to a particular group for what contributable skills are seen as valuable.

Uncle Touchy radar pings ..I'm betting this is why your good with animals. You read body language well, it is the language older than words. People and animals get noisy in other ways..most folks forget how to listen..
We used to call them Chesters in jail..lol..they were in the special housing units. At least the "known" ones..many more should have been too..including some women inmates..

Well I grew up on a farm but I left over 25 years ago, so my fix it skills are a lot rusty lol, I dont mind gardening but this year my garden flopped, I think I know why. I'm learning about being prepared, I know I dont have the skills that most of you poses but I feel I'll be better prepared then most of the general population. Other then the very resent lesson I learned I believe that my part BOB and part GHB will allow me to get home if shtf

I have a lot of skills and knowledge. The problem is that my body won't allow me to do all the stuff that I once could. If someone need someone to supervise then I'm your man. I have also acquired "stuff" and that could add to my value. For example I have the equipment, supplies, and knowledge to reload many cartridges. I can also do some minor gun repair and servicing.

Hmm.. I can shoot/fight at a high level..

Also own a reasonable supply of PMs and other preps
Some first aid skills but am no EMT.
Lots of leadership skills from my military background..

Good Land navigation...

Last edited:
Hmm. Gotta say I ain't worth much, in SHTF or otherwise. PPO (Pretty Puny Octogenarian). What knowledge I have ain't worth the food I'd eat or the shelter space I'd use up. Without the meds I wouldn't hang around long anyway. I think the best I could do for my clan would be to walk away (making sure someone knows where the ammo stash is.)

Sorry if this is a downer, but facts is facts

Hmm. Gotta say I ain't worth much, in SHTF or otherwise. PPO (Pretty Puny Octogenarian). What knowledge I have ain't worth the food I'd eat or the shelter space I'd use up. Without the meds I wouldn't hang around long anyway. I think the best I could do for my clan would be to walk away (making sure someone knows where the ammo stash is.)
Sorry if this is a downer, but facts is facts

Don't sell your self short.

-Can you effectively wield a firearm from a stationary postion?
-Can you reliably stay up all night if you sleep all day?
-Is either your vison or your hearing still at 80- 90%? (With hearing aid needed is also ok, since those batteries are cheap to stash)

If the answers are "yes" then you could fill a nightwatchman shift every night and in so doing free up a younger guy for patrolling or hard labor.

That's not even counting the fact that your age-related slower metabolism will lower your food consumption.

Shortage of boots on the ground to hold a retreat will likely be one of the biggest issues facing groups and a retreat that does not have someone awake at night will likely fall.

So if at all possible please stash some extras of your critical Meds.... having an extra pair of boots even if its just for a few months, even if its in a limited role as described above.. can make all the difference in the world whetheer a retreat makes it or not.

And I would be honored to have an older Gent in our group, who is willing to do what needs to be done, even if its not glamorous ...and I am sure most other retreats will feel the same way. :)

Last edited:
Well shucks. Seems like I could be of some use for awhile before checking out. Thanks for the encouragement, BlueZ.

Monitor the radio, keep batteries charged and run communications?
Watch the little ones while their parent(s) work their shift?
Keep food and supplies inventory current?
Up several times at night to pee? Make a quick round of the guards, say hi and help to keep them alert!

Back