How Vulnerable Is Your Personal Supply Chain?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread got me to thinking about it... and that opened my eyes to something I didn't expect. I was watching a news brief on food issues in the US and I noticed one person talking about it revolving around hold up at the border, in fact they talked like all food was imported. As I talked with my wife about it she had the perspective that people have changed, moving away from gardening and self sufficiency. And then I asked her if she realized that when she was a little girl the US population for 160 million and today it is 330 million, that really took her back. When I told her that back then 35% of the people lived in the country but today the percentage of country folks is down to 17%.

So from all that I implied that the country is run by people who don't know where the food comes from and who don't care. Many of them assume that it is all imported and the only thing that matters is price... I think that if they knew that the stores generally only have a 3 day supply on hand at any given time, it would be more than they could grasp or cope with...

It also reaffirms to me that my personal supply line is very fragile indeed.
Supposedly...

Only 10% of the populace supported the revolution.

All is not lost.
;)

We are in a fourth turning when trust in authority erodes and systems change unfortunately often when war. WWII, Civil war, revolutionary war, ....

It happens every 4 generations or so. We are over due. Delaying the turning only builds up magnitude of the change.

Ben

You gotta be able to catch, kill, clean, and cook squirrels! You will make it if you can do that!
Did about a thousand in the past, don't want no more.
But, if everybody is starving, I will be among the last to go.

On topic:
Our supply chain has been 'battle-tested' with hurricanes and is rock solid.
Any supplier that could not 'deliver the goods' got pruned years ago. :waiting:
We live in a capitalistic country.
Supplies are distributed starting with the highest bidder and going down the list from there.
If there isn't enough stuff to reach all the way down to the 'wholesale minus 40%' buyer, they get nothing.

You need some Philadelphia Cream Cheese? We got plenty! :D:thumbs:

Last edited:
most secure lines...a homestead !

OldDesignShop_WheatFruitVegsBW.jpg

Did about a thousand in the past, don't want no more.
But, if everybody is starving, I will be among the last to go.

On topic:
Our supply chain has been 'battle-tested' with hurricanes and is rock solid.
Any supplier that could not 'deliver the goods' got pruned years ago. :waiting:
We live in a capitalistic country.
Supplies are distributed starting with the highest bidder and going down the list from there.
If there isn't enough stuff to reach all the way down to the 'wholesale minus 40%' buyer, they get nothing.

You need some Philadelphia Cream Cheese? We got plenty! :D:thumbs:
Here's what 'self-reliant' looks like in slow motion down here.
Overflow from our next-door neighbor, tonight:
IMG_20211229_200014.jpg

Sux to be poor, don't it? ;)

Supply chain? Wherever I may roam is my supply chain...just, not bugs, I'll use them as fish bait.
10 Edible Weeds That Have Rich Taste and Nutritious Value – The Self-Sufficient Living (theselfsufficientliving.com)

Queen Ann's lace tastes worse than it smells!

Survivaltek | Edible Pine Trees

Then there's THIS! I can't wait to try one!
7 Facts About Nutria, the Invasive Rodents Taking Over Louisiana | Mental Floss

And this....
Groundhog Recipes - Tastes Like Chicken! | Newsmax.com

Find me some kudzu, I'll find dinner, and speaking of which...
KUDZU RECIPES (uga.edu)

10 Best Wild Onion Soup Recipes | Yummly

I'd be excommunicated from the river rats if I forgot...
Poke Salad - Recipe | Cooks.com

Supply chain? Wherever I may roam is my supply chain...just, not bugs, I'll use them as fish bait.
10 Edible Weeds That Have Rich Taste and Nutritious Value – The Self-Sufficient Living (theselfsufficientliving.com)

Queen Ann's lace tastes worse than it smells!

Survivaltek | Edible Pine Trees

Then there's THIS! I can't wait to try one!
7 Facts About Nutria, the Invasive Rodents Taking Over Louisiana | Mental Floss

And this....
Groundhog Recipes - Tastes Like Chicken! | Newsmax.com

Find me some kudzu, I'll find dinner, and speaking of which...
KUDZU RECIPES (uga.edu)

10 Best Wild Onion Soup Recipes | Yummly

I'd be excommunicated from the river rats if I forgot...
Poke Salad - Recipe | Cooks.com
I have a lot of kudzu, never thought about eating it!! Guess if the "shf" and I run out of squirrels I'll resort to kudzu!

See any big holes? groundhogs love the stuff, so do goats.
Other things hide under it as well, beat it with a stick and chase down the rippling leaves.
On second thought, get some wild onions and duck eggs and go nuts!

Attachments

• https___storage.googleapis.com_gen-atmedia_3_2009_08_3c12ba1db63b7bb6deb3b8d4e4479276ea626734.jpeg
    https___storage.googleapis.com_gen-atmedia_3_2009_08_3c12ba1db63b7bb6deb3b8d4e4479276ea626734.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 4
Ok, I gotta throw a flag here.
You got the link wrong for this one. :(
Here is the correct link:
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/556901/facts-about-nutria-invasive-rodents-of-unusual-size
You can keep your dang kudzu to feed mules with.:mad:
All you need is someone that knows how to make a good gumbo to make this taste delicious.:thumbs:
And there will never, ever, be a shortage of them! :oops:
More meat than a rabbit, and people eat plenty of those:rolleyes:.

1200px-%D0%9D%D1%83%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%8F_01.jpg

Ok. So they ain't pretty, but neither are hogs, and you eat those.:oops:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/556901/facts-about-nutria-invasive-rodents-of-unusual-size
All you need is someone that knows how to make a good gumbo to make this taste delicious.:thumbs:

Reminds me of this

I'll stick with the hogs. Rat on a stick doesn't sound appealing
Luckily, we don't have those here, and I'm not planning on moving to where they are, so rat isn't on my menu. I do understand they are raised domestically for meat in certain parts of Central and South America. I guess if it's something you can raise easily and efficiently, it makes sense, but I believe I'll stick to bacon and beef...

I'll stick with the hogs. Rat on a stick doesn't sound appealing
Dress out one of your rabbits and a nutria and lay them side by side.
Both are rodents, both eat the same food. You probably couldn't tell them apart except...
The only difference is, your rabbit probably doesn't weigh 16 pounds. :oops:

Fixed it, thanks. it was good last night. some kind of glitch?
I see a nutria as an aquatic groundhog myself. pass the carrots and taters and a hunk of gravy soaked stuffing!

Chicken, turkey, and rabbit are easy enough and we raise those. I like the beef and bacon, too.
That's what's for dinner tomorrow...good steaks, and rumaki
My SHTF meat plan is quail. They are super easy and fast to raise - ready to harvest for meat at 7 weeks and start laying in 6-8. I've got enough solar to keep my incubators running, so I figure I can ramp up from my current flock of a dozen to a couple hundred in a month or so no problem. They aren't as flexible on feed as chickens (which we keep too), but a 55 gal barrel holds a ton of quail food and it keeps a long time!

I'm pretty sure I will have ample supplies being as I'm not squeamish nor picky. Food is food , salt , pepper , Tobasco etc. Bon appetit
Ok, I have to come clean here.
I have not knowingly eaten nutria, but only after I complimented the chef on how great that was, and was told what was in it.
It was pretty dang good! :thumbs:
I have been playing the line of 'survival-life after SHTF' in this thread.
Yes, I do have a line drawn on what I will not eat: invertebrates without an exoskeleton: squid, octopus, worms, etc. (there are a few select others that taste like💩 that have made the list too).

For everything else, we just need to figure how much Tabasco® we need to add.😍:thumbs:

How do you take out the innards of a quail? Their body cavity is so small, I wouldn't fit my hand in there. Or do you just split apart at the underside?
I harvest them completely with a pair of kitchen shears. You cut the spine out (cutting down both sides of it), and when you pull it out the innards just come right with it. I also like that you skin them, so there's no plucking involved. Here's a decent video on the process:

Everyone has their own idea of what's beyond disgusting. And I've seen some that raise their own animals only to find out that they can't butcher or eat what they've raised. Naming the bunny Fluffy and playing with it daily does not help.
Oh No!!! Don't tell me you are one of those cold-blooded people who would take a hatchet and chop sweet Fluffy's head off!!!! gaah
I'm being sarcastic of course, people have become such wussies.
As a kid, I raised one calf from the bottle, to feeding him everyday for a year and a half. We were the best of friends.:huggs:

Then my dad handed me the shotgun.
He told me it was my calf and my job.
We grew up quick.:cry:

Last edited:
Everyone has their own idea of what's beyond disgusting. And I've seen some that raise their own animals only to find out that they can't butcher or eat what they've raised. Naming the bunny Fluffy and playing with it daily does not help.
I've seen that happen too! Often. Many people just can't deal with processing what they originally thought was going to be livestock.

Maybe I'm super weird..ok..probably lol..but I can cuddle my kits (baby rabbits) I think they are just the cutest baby animals. And then they get big and end up on the BBQ and then they are just the tastiest rabbit dinner :). I guess just never loose sight of the goal.

Ok, I have to come clean here.
I have not knowingly eaten nutria, but only after I complimented the chef on how great that was, and was told what was in it.
It was pretty dang good! :thumbs:
I have been playing the line of 'survival-life after SHTF' in this thread.
Yes, I do have a line drawn on what I will not eat: invertebrates without an exoskeleton: squid, octopus, worms, etc. (there are a few select others that taste like💩 that have made the list too).

For everything else, we just need to figure how much Tabasco® we need to add.😍:thumbs:
There was a show called Dual Survival a few years back. In one episode the two survival experts were in the Appalachian mountains in the cold season. What they came up with to eat was a stew made from some kind of fungus/mushroom thing, and nightcrawlers. I actually didn't think it looked that bad. I wouldn't eat a worm raw, but cooked? Not my first choice, but if I was going hungry I'd choose worm before I'd choose rat...

Oh No!!! Don't tell me you are one of those cold-blooded people who would take a hatchet and chop sweet Fluffy's head off!!!! gaah
I'm being sarcastic of course, people have become such wussies.
As a kid, I raised one calf from the bottle, to feeding him everyday for a year and a half. We were the best of friends.:huggs:

Then my dad handed me the shotgun.
He told me it was my calf and my job.
We grew up quick.:cry:
We always named our butcher calves after DNC presidents that helped. Now it doesn't really matter.

Latest posts

Back