Howdy Everyone

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenAcres

Super Friend
Neighbor
Hello!

I hope everyone is staying healthy during this crazy time we are going through. I thought I would drop a line and say hello.

Growing up, I lived on a large cattle farm in Eastern TN. We raised mainly angus cows, and we always had huge gardens, several acres of tobacco and tomatoes.

we used to make our own lard, cracklins, peach, and apple butter. Slowly we moved away from that life style, and the farm became a business and that was it. Eventually I grew up, went to college, joined the Army, and now I am ready to settle down.

My wife and just bought 4 nice acres of land here in East TN and our goal is be as self sufficient as possible. I know the old ways, but my wife and two modern children have been in a state of culture shock.

welcomwagon_zps2c2d2c91.gif
from Western WA (The State)

Welcome from TEXAS!! The wife and kids will come along. My wife and I grew up as country as you can get but our kids were CITY SLICKERS!! The change in them over the last two years has been amazing. I'd say that kids who grow up working land are more mature, quicker to Lear, healthier, happier and more well rounded than kids who grow up in front of an Xbox eating garbage. You're doing the right thing for your family for sure.

The greatest thing to happen to me as a kid was running around the woods and learning from friends and adults what was edible and not edible, lessons I remember to this day, even fell out of a few trees, which I still remember. I even smoked a few sword fern stems that were dried out, heathier than cigarettes and smelled better too, I just don't recommend smoking and haven't since the 70's. Having kids grow up on a farm is probably the best thing you could do for them, as far as I'm concerned, this electronic age has really messed with young peoples thinking, so good for you in giving them this opportunity.

Back