Howdy from the new old guy!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Some of you probably already know me from other sites around the web. For those that don't we've been living off grid for a dozen years. We bought some timberland in south central Va back in 08 and have been living and working here since. Turning timberland in to a homestead is a LONG SLOW process when you do almost all of it by yourself. I have a few health issues so nothing around here happens fast. Although I will freely admit without this place keeping me going I'd probably be long gone by now. I attempt to plant a few crops and raise a few animals. Building a new house is also on the horizon. Even though we built the house we live in now but it's just to dang small and was only meant to be temporary and here we are 11 years later still living in it. Quite a few things have to happen before I can even start on the house build so it'll be awhile yet getting done.

Welcome from an Appalachian Virginian happily living the good life in Alaska!

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon. Don't feel bad about living in a small home, wife, son and I lived in a 17' minus 3' for the tongue, travel trailer for 17 years before building a decent home, it wasn't fun but it was a good lesson. At 78 years, I'm still working on things, including stuff that I had hoped would last a lifetime.

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon. Don't feel bad about living in a small home, wife, son and I lived in a 17' minus 3' for the tongue, travel trailer for 17 years before building a decent home, it wasn't fun but it was a good lesson. At 78 years, I'm still working on things, including stuff that I had hoped would last a lifetime.
You're 78! Though I like butter, I'm not just butterin' ya up 😂 - you don't look that old.

Thanks again everyone.
A little more about myself. I started working as a youngster or maybe I should say I started learning because as soon as I learned a trade I went to another. By the time I was old enough to drive legally I could build a house. Then cars / fast cars caught my attention and so did money. Next I went to CTC for diesel tech. Within the first year I went to work for Ford and then moved to different companies about once a month with a dollar raise with each move. By the time I was 19 I was fed up with grease and stupid people. So back to construction this time building pools. I think I was 20 when I started my own company installing above ground pools. I also drag raced from about 1990 until 2005. Did that until M.S. got me in my mid 30's when I had to quit working. After several years learning to walk & talk again I bought this place and it is my rehab program. By 2010 I was able to go back to work on a limited basis running a small engine repair shop. It was much lighter and easier work. I stopped that when other health problems started giving more trouble.

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone.
A little more about myself. I started working as a youngster or maybe I should say I started learning because as soon as I learned a trade I went to another. By the time I was old enough to drive legally I could build a house. Then cars / fast cars caught my attention and so did money. Next I went to CTC for diesel tech. Within the first year I went to work for Ford and then moved to different companies about once a month with a dollar raise with each move. By the time I was 19 I was fed up with grease and stupid people. So back to construction this time building pools. I think I was 20 when I started my own company installing above ground pools. I also drag raced from about 1990 until 2005. Did that until M.S. got me in my mid 30's when I had to quit working. After several years learning to walk & talk again I bought this place and it is my rehab program. By 2012 I was able to go back to work on a limited basis running a small engine repair shop. It was much lighter and easier work. I stopped that when other health problems started giving more trouble.

Sounds like you had an interesting life Bigg, glad you joined us and hope you can find us helpful. :thumbs:

You're 78! Though I like butter, I'm not just butterin' ya up 😂 - you don't look that old.
Thanks, I like butter too and most of the time I don't feel my age, probably the toughest thing I do every day is to look in the mirror and ask myself if the reflection is really me. Thanks for butterin' me up.

Wow, Bigg...It sounds like "Determination" should be your middle name. And when I grow up (lol, I might be older than you, but I don't care), I wanna have the same kind of grit and spirit as you do.

Hattip to you, sir.

Back