Howdy neighbor !!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
I wanted to touch base with you guys on installing this stuff called PEX
Seems a LOT of DIY home owners are installing this stuff because it is easy to do
all you need is a set of crimpers and Bingo bango bongo you are a plumbing machine.

WELL just hold up a darn minute and listen to what i have to say, I do not profess to be the sharpest tool in the shed but i am a card holding master plumber in 3 of the 50 states. Colorado, Texas, and the great state of Mississippi. Being a master just means I am a certified AH not a regular run of the mill AH

So. Back to the pex. Personally i hate the stuff. I am a copper installer,
Here mis a rule of thumb when installing a water line.
ONE fixture per 1/2'' line
OK...Copper piping and galvanized piping is measured using the ID [inside diameter} of the pipe or it is also called Nominal , meaning the actual
PEX on the other hand is NOT nominal, it is sized by the OD [outside diameter}

SO, In reality, a pex 1/2'' is actually a 3/8'' ID
SO why does this matter? Why should you care?
You care when it takes FOREVER to fill the tub or you care when you are taking a shower and some idiot turns on the washing machine and gives you a sudden loss of hot wate

So here is MY rule of thumb when piping a house
Use 1'' PVC from the meter to the house, install a valve in the flower bed and transistion to your PEX
If it is a 2 bath house. Run 1'' pex from the flower bed to your manblock [ if using that system] run 3/4 from the manblock to the fixtures
OR. run 1'' from the man block to the shower/tub, 3/4 to the sink and 3/4 to the terlet, 3/4 to the hose bib
ONLY use 1/2'' on the icemaker, and to stub out of the wall

If you are not using a manblock but are running the pipe main and branch
1'' from flower bed to every bathroom
3/4 branchs

I hope this made sense.
I am getting tired of going into houses and re piping the pex because 1/2'' was run everywhere and the volume at fixtures sucks
only use the 1/2'' pex to tie your ladder to the pipe rack

Preach it Brother!

Way back when I worked for a small town a water customer complained about the Town's water pressure. As it turns out he didn't have a pressure problem he had a flow problem. The 3/8" copper line from his basement to his second floor bathroom caused the flow problem.

P.S. I prefer ridged copper too.

Thanks for the insight.
Question, what would you suggest to add a outside faucet and make an underground run to another faucet out in the garden? I detest moving water hoses everytime you mow. Plus it would give a clean look. I will use a cut off inside so I can drain it before winter

I also agree. Many PEX users use the home run system, with a multi-port built system, which can cost hundreds of $$. It seems the common types use 1/2" PEX, and if you want to see some real costs, check out the 3/4" home run manifolds. Ka-ching! Also, it is usually not known, but if you have PEX in your home, DO NOT use rat or mouse poison! They kill by dehydrating the critters and that PEX looks like a big river of water for them, and they will eat right through it.

As if I need more problem with typing ,etc, the little orange thing is running across the page again erasing my letters!:ghostly::mad:.
So I'm trying to be extra careful.
This house was built in late 2005 so thats how old the piping is and water is causing a white film on my pots unless it is filtered.So Brita pitcher is working overtime and almost out of filters now.

Pex is a very bendible plastic tubing. Sometimes it is white, blue, red or clear. Most plumbing which looks like normal sprinkler pipe is actually CPVC piping, which is more durable and used for indoor plumbing, unless you are lucky enough to have copper piping.

Thanks for the insight.
Question, what would you suggest to add a outside faucet and make an underground run to another faucet out in the garden? I detest moving water hoses everytime you mow. Plus it would give a clean look. I will use a cut off inside so I can drain it before winter
What is PEX is that PVC? Thats what we have and ts 3/4".

I would suggest using a full port ball valve where you tie into the water line
and run a 3/4 pex line to the first faucet then a 3/4 line from there to the next faucet
being mindful to be below the frost depth in your area
use a yard hydrant out in the yard. to stop frozen pipes

PVC is different than PEX. It is not a crimped product you glue it together BE SURE to use PRIMER
PVC needs to be kept out of direct sunlight use it only under ground I suggested it because it is cheaper than pex.

As if I need more problem with typing ,etc, the little orange thing is running across the page again erasing my letters!:ghostly::mad:.
So I'm trying to be extra careful.
This house was built in late 2005 so thats how old the piping is and water is causing a white film on my pots unless it is filtered.So Brita pitcher is working overtime and almost out of filters now.
White film is hard water. You need a filter system
Find out where the pipe enters the home
then at that location, install a filter system You can build a box around the filters that matches your home
contact your health department, inquire where you can drop of a water sample to have it analysed
Usually costs 5 bucks
with that info. go to your local plumbing supply house and tell them to show you what filter you need to filter this. Hand them the report. then you can shop from that point after you know what you need

White film is hard water. You need a filter system
Find out where the pipe enters the home
then at that location, install a filter system You can build a box around the filters that matches your home
contact your health department, inquire where you can drop of a water sample to have it analysed
Usually costs 5 bucks
with that info. go to your local plumbing supply house and tell them to show you what filter you need to filter this. Hand them the report. then you can shop from that point after you know what you need

Thank you Frodo. We have one from well to house so will get whole house filter too.
Huby aka Mr Meer is great with all kinds of things so he will do that he ha just been having a time with back lately which usually gets better with time. :thumbs::Thankyou:

Thank you Frodo. We have one from well to house so will get whole house filter too.
Huby aka Mr Meer is great with all kinds of things so he will do that he ha just been having a time with back lately which usually gets better with time. :thumbs::Thankyou:
filter bypass piping detail

mason.jpg

Pex is a very bendible plastic tubing. Sometimes it is white, blue, red or clear. Most plumbing which looks like normal sprinkler pipe is actually CPVC piping, which is more durable and used for indoor plumbing, unless you are lucky enough to have copper piping.

Thank you Havasu.

As I understand it "PEX" is a brand name for one of four different kinds of flexible plastic lines. There are some that use the inside diameter and others that don't. One in particular requires the tube be expanded on to the fittings and others slip on and are clamped. The fittings are where the restriction is except for the lines that are expanded to install. Most use some kind of sealing ring to prevent leaks at the fittings.

I may have to go look this up to get the information.

We had our house (built in 1916) re-plumbed with PEX when we moved here in 2018. I'd never heard of the stuff and was amazed how quickly it went in. I was also surprised at how small it looked, but never stopped to ask the plumbers why it was so much skinnier than the stuff I'd seen in my previous house. I'm running from the well's pressure tank in the basement to the first and second floors and never got the pressure I thought I should've had with new plumbing.

I guess my problem was that I assumed the people putting the stuff in knew what they were doing. I hope replacing the PEX (if that's what is causing my problem) isn't going to be an arm and a leg!

Back