Howdy

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarlyMarksman

Friend
Neighbor
I am a 22 year old man from Alabama. Here in the not so distant future my grandmother and I will be purchasing some land where I will begin homesteading, not as a full-time job but as an after-work hobby. As of right now I am raising twelve chickens for the first time ever: five Rhode Island Reds, four California Whites, and three ISA Browns. My family and I also planted for the first time this year, although we lost some of the zucchini and all of the squash to chipmunks. We harvested the lettuce and our tomatoes are still growing, admittedly not as well as I'd hoped but we are getting a few good ones a week.
Looking to learn what I can and possibly share something on here someday!

Welcome EM... I'm from Bama also. Once in a while I drive by Denny Chimes... assuming you know where that is... Don't live there but get to the big T town occasionally.

I just raised a dozen peeps this spring, all ISA browns, posted about them. Just got my first eggs a couple days ago.

Anyway, pull up a chair and set a spell.

Welcome EM... I'm from Bama also. Once in a while I drive by Denny Chimes... assuming you know where that is... Don't live there but get to the big T town occasionally.

I just raised a dozen peeps this spring, all ISA browns, posted about them. Just got my first eggs a couple days ago.

Anyway, pull up a chair and set a spell.

I actually don't lol. To tell you the truth I stay away from the cities as much as possible. People round here also find it funny that I don't carry a cell phone around very often. Strange world we live in haha

Welcome to the forum. It gives me hope when young people are growing thier own. 👍
Definitely didn't grow up doing this, as it's my first time. Was thinking a whole lot about it; coming home from work, getting on my computer, reading, going to bed and doing the same thing the next day. One day as I was on my computer I just thought to myself, "I'm sick of just talking about doing this. Let me start doing what I can with what I have now." The Lord has given me the strength and now alongside my chickens and garden I have been splitting logs for the winter. Will be hunting deer for the first time ever this year as well, so I'm very excited.

Welcome to our little corner of the world.

You'll soon find that there are a bunch of seniors here , not all, but a good number of us.
All together maybe 1000 years of experience.

I'm sure we can learn new tricks from younger homesteaders,

Just enjoy yourself.

:welcome: from West KY.

Jim
I have a lot of learning about homesteading before I can share a whole lot. I don't want to be pretentious as I dislike people who are that way. My grandfather has been farming for 45+ years and he told me how to build my raised bed and tend to the chickens when I first got them. I highly appreciate y'alls experience and willingness to share it.

Welcome, young feller. There are geezers here (men and women both) who know stuff about homesteading, but I ain't one of them. My folks left the hill farm before I was born. I hope you keep a journal of your experiences - for your own benefit - and share some of them with us.

I actually don't lol. To tell you the truth I stay away from the cities as much as possible. People round here also find it funny that I don't carry a cell phone around very often. Strange world we live in haha
Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon. I keep telling fellow preppers that pretty soon we'll have to stay away from cities, so we better have as much as we can for our needs to be able to keep from going into town. We have a cell phone but it's a Net 10, we buy blocks of time and days and it's always off, it's basically emergency only, which is fitting since I haven't seen a pay phone around for years.

Welcome to the forum! Depending on your state laws having a bird feeder about 10 yards away from your house with an upstairs window works great for bird watching........oh and a .22 pellet gun inside by the window works good when they fill their cheeks with bird seed. Lol. Plenty of power with less risk of ricochet or collateral damage.

Latest posts

Back