How's your families health

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Just thought about all the folks here that are dealing with illnesses or injuries ,

I am with my wife.
After 6 surgeries in last 6 months , she is facing another one in , hopefully, a week or two.
She sneezed two weeks ago and featured another vertebrae , maybe 2.

She has RA , and that has caused severe bone density loss.
Therefore easily fracturing bones.

Hope this is the last time.
Other than RA , which under control, by Rinvoq, she really has no other health problems.

If you know someone with Severe RA , their Rheumatologist and help them get it free if their income is less than a million dollars a year.
Wife just got a call from the mfg last week....she will be getting it free for the rest of her life.

Jim

Doctor said DH's numbers for RA were the highest she'd ever seen. So far, methotrexate seems to be controlling it well! He also has COPD stage 3 with bronchiectasis which never goes away. And severe hand tremors which are partially under control. With all that, he is doing so much better than 3 and 4 years ago!

Doctor said DH's numbers for RA were the highest she'd ever seen. So far, methotrexate seems to be controlling it well! He also has COPD stage 3 with bronchiectasis which never goes away. And severe hand tremors which are partially under control. With all that, he is doing so much better than 3 and 4 years ago!

Snap thats alot but so glad he is doing much better.:huggs:

The doctor said the same thing about wife. Highest he'd ever seen.
That was her first visit to the trial clinic.
One week later on , now know as Rinvoq her numbers were normal.

She was diagnosed 50 years ago.
She was on methotrexate daily injections for 15 years , it wasn't working anymore and had horrible side affects.

So thankful for Rinvoq , the side affects are lots less.

Jim

Last edited:
No.

But we will be discussing with him tomorrow about something to help improve bone density.

Prolia did not work after 2 years , and it was expensive.

Jim
You won't like to hear this, but I will 'say' it so you know. Sugars (carbs) pull calcium from the bones - example sugar rots your teeth. That's not exactly accurate. It's not from not brushing sort of sugar rotting your teeth. It because sugar uses calcium from the inside so bone density is compromised.
Also, on an RA note: wheat is a "natural inflammatory."
A keto diet would help, but I realize not everyone is up to it.
(Just want you two to be well 💖)

DH isn't having any side effects that he knows of. With so much going on with him, sometimes it's hard to tell. LOL

When wife was on methotrexate, she took it on Sunday night, then she was bedfast for 2 days. Bad nausea.

[/QUOTE]

You won't like to hear this, but I will 'say' it so you know. Sugars (carbs) pull calcium from the bones - example sugar rots your teeth. That's not exactly accurate. It's not from not brushing sort of sugar rotting your teeth. It because sugar uses calcium from the inside so bone density is compromised.
Also, on an RA note: wheat is a "natural inflammatory."
A keto diet would help, but I realize not everyone is up to it.
(Just want you two to be well 💖)

I've done keto, still watch my carbs.
She is not a sugar person at all. She says she's an old woman , ain't got many years left, she's gonna do and eat what she wants.
😬

Jim

Last edited:
When wife was on methotrexate, she took it on Sunday night, then she was bedfast for 2 days. Bad nausea.

I've done keto, still watch my carbs.
She is not a sugar person at all. She says she's an old woman , ain't got many years left, she's gonna do and eat what she wants.
😬

Jim
[/QUOTE]

I sure hope she gets better soon and I had medicine act badly for me too ,rememebr Plavix a year ago?:ghostly:

We checked our pharmacy for the shingles vaccine this morning.
Yes they have it, yes she can get it.

Anybody have any experience with this vaccine?
Any side affects ? Should or shouldn't she?

Is it worth $191.00 ?

I told her to do it.
But thought I'd check with yall first.

Jim

Is it worth $191.00 ?

I told her to do it.

Jim

Nobody I know but don't know anyone who has had the shot but my daughter and no complaints,she has had shingles twice once at 18 again in her 40s. First time it was horrible.

Is it worth $191.00 ?

I told her to do it.

Jim

I got it in the 90's when I worked at the health dept. Wasn't sure if I had chicken pox as a child so was advised to get it. Got shingles several years later. No side effects from the shot that I recall. Except for getting shingles.

Is it worth $191.00 ?

I told her to do it.

Jim
Hubby just got his second shingles vax the other day. The only problems he had was his arm was sore and he had trouble sleeping one night. Otherwise he was fine.
Strange thing is we've gotten no bill for either so far. :dunno: not that we're complaining but you would think the pharmacy would let us know the copay yea? weird.

He needs a Tetanus vax but now has to wait at least 2 weeks before he can have it

He also had the pneumonia vax before this lol The man is a walking vax container.
He's been getting jabbed for a month or more :rolleyes:

Here we go.
Wife got the shingles vaccine yesterday , arm is a little sore today.

We did get a call from surgeon's office this morning.
Gotta go talk to surgeon Monday to discuss what he'll do, and set surgery date.
MRI shows T6 is fractured. That may be a blessing in disguise, as they will also cement T 7. Can't have one between two that are fixed, unfixed.

Hopefully surgery will be real soon.

Jim

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it.
I have a blood vessel at the end of a nostril that will just start bleeding. I can apply pressure and it stops. It's been going on for several years. I'm going to see an ENT and have it cauterized. It makes my eyes water just thinking about it.
Anyone had that done?

UPDATE:
He didn't do anything. Looked in my nose and said, "yep there's the problem. Nothing I can do without doing surgery." He told me the same thing the VA doctor said. Put a little vaseline in your nose at night. I'm all set for vaseline, the VA sent me 2 huge jars of the stuff.

Last edited:
I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it.
I have a blood vessel at the end of a nostril that will just start bleeding. I can apply pressure and it stops. It's been going on for several years. I'm going to see an ENT and have it cauterized. It makes my eyes water just thinking about it.
Anyone had that done?

My aunt did. She said she'd do it again and wishes that she'd have done it sooner. She had constant nose bleeds.

Last edited:
I had a vein cauterized - twice! The first doctor did a very poor job and it started bleeding after a couple days. I went to the same ENT doc that my wife saw and he examined it and I asked him to fix it. He told me it was going to hurt and I told him about the first doc so he put some Novocaine up my nose to help. I never had that done before and figured it was a waste of time because I have a high threshold. Well there wasn't much pain but there probably would have been without the numbing. He worked that silver nitrate swab hard for about two minutes. No leaks since.

Sorry to hear about your wife, hope she gets better and relief from pain.. my daughter is about the same, she is 40, been on disability for years, arthritis in her spine, ,has to have nerves burnt in her neck for pinching and causing severe headaches.. and lower back and hips, terrible to be in this shape... I don't know who she got it from...

My Father & all his siblings have past, My Mother & all but one sibling have past.
My older sister past way to early, at fifty of a weak heart, all other sidlings & our children are in good health. So we are blessed.

Latest posts

Back