Hummus?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I tried to make hummus for the first time today.
It's not as smooth as what you buy at the store.
But will try to put it through the blender to get it smoother.
I have made it a few times. How did you smoosh your garbanzos? I use my old beat up Cuisinart food processor. I start with grinding up the beans, add the garlic, lemon juice, tahini, paprika and then slowly drizzle olive oil as it blends. If I have all my ingredients out and ready, I start the food processor and just keep adding things. I may stop to scrape down the sides here and there.

Dw make garbanzo bean,black beans, blackeye peas, cannelini beans as Hummus & roasted egg plant as Bababgonush.
The beans are not mixed, each bean makes a different Hummus.
We have heard of making Hummus with boiled peanuts, also.
We used a recipe like Weedygarden has, sometimes 1/4 cup sesame seeds instead of tahini.
DW uses a vitamix, it is about 34 years old & still going strong.

I tried once in my life to make hummus, maybe it's time to try again.
What method of cooking the garbanzo beans is a favorite here? I think I used my pressure cooker.
I have it still, Dutch oven, and crockpot.
@joel That's interesting that there's a difference between using sesame seeds or sesame seed butter (tahini). I love tahini.
Baba ghanoush is tasty. I've been lazy about cooking.

I tried once in my life to make hummus, maybe it's time to try again.
What method of cooking the garbanzo beans is a favorite here? I think I used my pressure cooker.
I have it still, Dutch oven, and crockpot.
@joel That's interesting that there's a difference between using sesame seeds or sesame seed butter (tahini). I love tahini.
Baba ghanoush is tasty. I've been lazy about cooking.
I like to cook beans of all sorts in a crock pot.

@MoBookworm1957 , were your garbanzos cooked before you used them to make hummus? I have seen recipes that call for uncooked garbanzos. That will never be me! I will always used canned or cook some garbanzos.

I could live on hummus, lol. I cook big pots of beans at a time, bag them up and freeze them. Take out as needed. When I feel like it I pressure can some. Which I would rather do this than freeze them. But freezing is so convenient. If I dont have tahini on hand I just use sesame seeds. I dont taste anything different. I want to try beet hummus. Has anyone made that?

Yes, my wife has made beet Hummus, it is basic reicpe, you can roast beets or use can beets.

Roasted Beet Hummus

thumbnail

Ingredients
US CustomaryMetric
  • 1 small roasted beet
  • 1 15-oz. can cooked chickpeas (mostly drained // 1 can yields ~1 3/4 cup)
  • 1 large lemon (zested)
  • 1/2 large lemon (juiced)
  • 1 healthy pinch salt and black pepper
  • 2 large cloves garlic (minced)
  • 2 heaping Tbsp tahini or 1/4 cup of sesame seeds
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Instructions
  • Roast the beet.
  • Once your beet is cooled and peeled, quarter it and place it in your food processor. Blend until only small bits remain.
  • Add remaining ingredients except for olive oil and blend until smooth.
  • Drizzle in olive oil as the hummus is mixing.
  • Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt, lemon juice, or olive oil if needed. If it’s too thick, add a bit of water.
  • Will keep in the fridge for up to a week.

I was in Whole Foods years ago (a rare moment for me), and they had dehydrated hummus powder and dehydrated falafel mix, just add water. I think this would be an excellent addition to BOB's. I didn't try it, but I want to make some. I know that we add a little olive oil when we make hummus, and I wouldn't want some hummus that would go rancid. I would make up hummus powder with dehydrated bean powder (actually could be any kind of bean), garlic powder, sesame seed powder. Add water and a little olive oil.

Yes, my wife has made beet Hummus, it is basic reicpe, you can roast beets or use can beets.

Roasted Beet Hummus

thumbnail

Ingredients
US CustomaryMetric
  • 1 small roasted beet
  • 1 15-oz. can cooked chickpeas (mostly drained // 1 can yields ~1 3/4 cup)
  • 1 large lemon (zested)
  • 1/2 large lemon (juiced)
  • 1 healthy pinch salt and black pepper
  • 2 large cloves garlic (minced)
  • 2 heaping Tbsp tahini or 1/4 cup of sesame seeds
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Instructions
  • Roast the beet.
  • Once your beet is cooled and peeled, quarter it and place it in your food processor. Blend until only small bits remain.
  • Add remaining ingredients except for olive oil and blend until smooth.
  • Drizzle in olive oil as the hummus is mixing.
  • Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt, lemon juice, or olive oil if needed. If it’s too thick, add a bit of water.
  • Will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Thanks Joel! I am going to try this. I love hummus and I love beets.
i wonder what part tahini plays in hummus.

Thanks Joel! I am going to try this. I love hummus and I love beets.
i wonder what part tahini plays in hummus.
I am not sure, but I think it is taste like lemon & garlic, as well as oil like olive oil.

What a good question. There is some flavor, but I wonder what the nutritional piece is?

On my jar:
Serving size 2 Tablespoons- 176 calories
16 grams of fat --2 grams Saturated--trans fat -0, Cholesterol-0
Sodium-5 mg
Total carbs -6 grams, fiber 3 grams, no added sugars
Protein 5 grams

I like to cook beans of all sorts in a crock pot.

@MoBookworm1957 , were your garbanzos cooked before you used them to make hummus? I have seen recipes that call for uncooked garbanzos. That will never be me! I will always used canned or cook some garbanzos.
Canned, rinsed and smashed before I started adding the other ingredients.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/white-bean-hummus-zerz1712zcoy/
White Bean Hummus
Enjoy this Mediterranean dip with pita chips.

By Daniel Shumski

article image

Kyle Brinker
Use white beans as the base to this creamy hummus.
5 min DURATION
5 min PREP TIME
2 cups SERVINGS
Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups cooked white kidney beans
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 small clove garlic
  • Pinch of salt, plus extra as needed
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra as needed
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin, plus extra for garnish
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • Crackers, for serving
Directions
  • Place the beans, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and ginger in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth, about 15 short pulses.
  • Stop processing and use a rubber spatula to scrape down the side of the bowl if necessary to distribute everything evenly.
  • Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt as needed. Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl.
  • Garnish with a dusting of cumin and serve warm or at room temperature with crackers.
  • White Bean Hummus will keep, in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days. Serve chilled or at room temperature
(Workman Publishing, 2017) by Daniel Shumski features recipes that can be made in an Instant Pot, a kitchen tool that can be substituted for a slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, saute pan, yogurt maker, and a warmer. This recipe for hummus uses cooked kidney beans as the base. Top it with spices or pine nuts.

I've dehydrated cooked garbanzos and then pulverized them into a powder. Thought it could be the base to shelf stable hummus. Just have to add the other stuff

I've dehydrated cooked garbanzos and then pulverized them into a powder. Thought it could be the base to shelf stable hummus. Just have to add the other stuff
The white bean recipe doesn't call for tahini, but some hummus recipes do. I always add it when I make hummus and keep a jar of it in the fridge. I have an 8 ounce container of hummus that I bought a couple days ago. It lists tahini as an ingredient. Tahini is made from sesame seeds. It seems to be a lost art, to make tahini. Thomas Jefferson grew many varieties of sesame seeds at Monticello. It seems that we know about sesame seeds mostly from hamburger buns now. I do have sesame seeds in my preps, but just one of those large spice bottles. I've read about making tahini, but never have. It seems that it is not 100% necessary to use it in hummus.

Well you can probably store sesame seeds and just smash them up to add it. And use some olive oil you've got in storage. Then add the dehydrated bean powder. Good enough.

Well you can probably store sesame seeds and just smash them up to add it. And use some olive oil you've got in storage. Then add the dehydrated bean powder. Good enough.
I like the idea of making the garbanzo powder. In the gluten free thread I posted about making a bread from garbanzos, and they tell about making garbanzo flour. The difference is cooking and drying versus grinding up the dry, hard garbanzos into flour.

I've been cooking alot of dried beans this past week. Figure I'd cook alot of my older beans for fast beans. It doesn't take much to powder them after they're dehydrated, they flake real easy. But they don't shrink in size much, so they still take a bunch of room in storage. Doing 6lbs at a time. Kidney beans soaking tonight.

Back