Hydralic Ram Pump

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Irrigation and critters. Cistern water for the house. Which as thin as rain has been lately we may have to resort back to creek water upon occasion. We've had to before.

Aerindel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Can any of you guys with experience with these pumps tell me if one would work in the following situation? I have a large creek on one corner of my property. It has almost ZERO fall less than a foot per hundred feet I'd bet. Being about 24 feet wide and 12 to 18 inches deep where I can access it. It also catches HUGE storm surges where the water really rolls and gets 5 + feet deeper at these times. At that point the water washes across lowlands across from me. Problem 1) the creek is 175 feet below where I need water according to the surveyors. 2) My pipe run as of now is about 1800-2000 feet. The pipe is 1 inch poly and I currently use a Delavan roller pump belt driven from a 5 or 6 horse Honda engine. I get about 15-20 GPM free flow or enough pressure to run a bidirectional sprinkler head for crops. A ram pump if it would work would be so much nicer, quieter and fuelless. Best it could run all the time from what I understand.
CAN ONE DO THE JOB?

Thanks for any help and or input!
Probably not. Its not a matter of the elevation you are pumping to, its lack of drop for your drive water. A ram pump is entirely powered by the potential energy of falling water. If you have no fall, you have nothing to work with.

However....there are other kinds of pumps that do not require a lot of fall, just enough volume of water moving:

Consider this design:

spiral water wheel pump

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Same option I came up with just not possible with the storm surges we get. Plus other than storms or after heavy rain it's pretty hard to tell the water is flowing at all. Thanks though!

Latest posts