I Am An Engineering Genius

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I kept wondering how to make air pocket inside GH without alot of work and expense. Hubby is usually good at this but he is not feeling well.

So I got to thinking and came up with a great plan. All it cost is rope and a few pieces of old lumber we had laying around.

Wood piece is 5" long. rope is a couple hundred feet long and cut to fit across. Rope will hold the top piece of plastic up a few inches off the bottom piece. Drilled holes thru the wood to pull rope thru. Will take picture in a few.

Red Green would be proud. There may even be some duck tape involved,will see.

You too Meerkat! Hope the husband feels better soon!

Thanks Red. here is a pic hubby took a few minutes ago. See the little pieces of wood with blue rope on them. And me with a screw driver finishing up the trim. Almost time to put on second layer of plastic. I like the scafford ' spl ' a whole lot better than ladders.

EcL9G4J.jpg

Thanks Red. here is a pic hubby took a few minutes ago. See the little pieces of wood with blue rope on them. And me with a screw driver finishing up the trim. Almost time to put on second layer of plastic. I like the scafford ' spl ' a whole lot better than ladders.

EcL9G4J.jpg

Yall see that white headed old fool up there on that scaffold ,well it is time to stop all these projects and start living a little. I din't think about the fact I have to run that damn wire under the house to the breaker box.:eyeballs::huh:. And it is raining so this will not be :fun fun:. Hubby said if I ain't changing the world :rolleyes: I'm thinking of projects to keep us broke and busy, well he may be right. And who will get to enjoy all this not us if we keep doing this stuff. :(. Well I get bored out here in the middle of the damn woods. I still have some city slicker left in me.

So, Meerkat is a wife who is on a pedestal (rightly so) and an engineer specializing in inner space. I like it!
Since the plastic is transparent to IR (infra-red - heat radiation) the air space, as long as it is less than an inch, keeps circulation from taking the heat away and keeps it all nicely in the green house. (another layer will add another 50% of the value of the first air gap) :) Silly me, I've always used 1x2s to keep the plastic layers apart. I'm still looking for a plastic that resists UV (ultra-violet) degradation while still being transparent to IR. If I ever find one I will make a report here.
Nice job Meerkat! (and looking good too!) ;)

You are amazing! I have a hard time climbing anything. I have done some, but I am shaking the whole time!

Thank you Sweety, but not sure the word for me is amazing. I need to stop before one of us gets hurt . Hubby does too much for his condition.
I thought I'd buy this garage heater ,plug it up and be done with it. Had no idea till I ordered it I'd have to wire the whole place. Make plugs etc,etc,etc, and hubby had to crawl under the house to grab wire. and pull it thru so now he is hurting. But maybe I have had enough. I do go stir crazy out here.

So, Meerkat is a wife who is on a pedestal (rightly so) and an engineer specializing in inner space. I like it!
Since the plastic is transparent to IR (infra-red - heat radiation) the air space, as long as it is less than an inch, keeps circulation from taking the heat away and keeps it all nicely in the green house. (another layer will add another 50% of the value of the first air gap) :) Silly me, I've always used 1x2s to keep the plastic layers apart. I'm still looking for a plastic that resists UV (ultra-violet) degradation while still being transparent to IR. If I ever find one I will make a report here.
Nice job Meerkat! (and looking good too!) ;)

LOL, I pretty mad at myself but maybe learned something.

Anyway about that plastic film will UV protectors work? This one we are puttign up has UV protectors on it.

28X 110 Sun Master Over Winter Clear. Best deal we have found, it is green house film. Under $200 includes shipping. We got extra wide and 110 feet long so it is a good deal for us. 3mil but strong. Growers Supply farmTex.

I have a lot of trivial information stored in my mind but I don't have a good answer for you. It may well be fine but if it deteriorates over a year or two it has at least protected your plants from the UV. Just watch to see if it gets cloudy - that is the sign that UV is affecting the plastic.
I'll have to give my coffee cup back to my daughter - it says, "Ask Dad, he knows. (and on the off chance he doesn't he'll make up something pretty good)."
I hardly ever make stuff up but for small kids it is sometimes necessary. :)

I have a lot of trivial information stored in my mind but I don't have a good answer for you. It may well be fine but if it deteriorates over a year or two it has at least protected your plants from the UV. Just watch to see if it gets cloudy - that is the sign that UV is affecting the plastic.
I'll have to give my coffee cup back to my daughter - it says, "Ask Dad, he knows. (and on the off chance he doesn't he'll make up something pretty good)."
I hardly ever make stuff up but for small kids it is sometimes necessary. :)

I don't know yet how good this will be a a couple years cause we only used for a year. :dunno: We are using it again now so hope it last at least another year like it has this past year. :thumbs up:

Hi Meerkat.
Did you figure out why your pictures are not showing up?
I can't see any of them and I would like to see your green house.

BackL. Sorry I'll have to reload them so hope to do that soon. I'm not good with tech yet, so now I have =to go thru a couple hundred darn pics to relocate them in my library then put them in umgur again.

Try to do that after done with GH today.:thumbs up:

I kept wondering how to make air pocket inside GH without alot of work and expense. Hubby is usually good at this but he is not feeling well.

So I got to thinking and came up with a great plan. All it cost is rope and a few pieces of old lumber we had laying around.

Wood piece is 5" long. rope is a couple hundred feet long and cut to fit across. Rope will hold the top piece of plastic up a few inches off the bottom piece. Drilled holes thru the wood to pull rope thru. Will take picture in a few.

Red Green would be proud. There may even be some duck tape involved,will see.
LMBO. I Love Red Green.

LMBO. I Love Red Green.

Off Subject ,Intermission.

Hubby likes him too so do I. Are you also a fan of Trinity? Trinity Is Still my Name? Two brothers who aright and Left hand of the devil.

Although will not use greenhouse all winter again only till late fall early spring. We did get about 25lb.s of tomatoes in freezer and a few heads of cabbage, brocolli not bell peppers coming in too. Plus I eat lettuce everyday from GH. Blueberries are now getting ripe and saved Banana tree so it will produce this year since it didn't die back also has 3 little plants on it too..
But still cost too much.

Latest posts

Back