I am an only child. I'm not married, and I have no children. I am almost 55 years old. I have drug-resistant hypertension (but it's been well under

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotMeantForTheCity

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
control for the past year). I have an undiagnosed type of arthritis that mimics rheumatoid. I have a defective aortic heart valve, left ventricle stenosis and an aortic aneurism. I've been advised that open heart surgery may be in my future.

My mother is disabled with what amounts to lupus. I am her only caregiver. The stress of our urban environment is bad for both of us, but I don't see much chance of ever talking my mother into moving.

3 of my 4 grandparents were farmers at some point in their lives before I was born. I am desperate to find a better climate and set up an organic farm. I've been looking online for land in Alabama. There's a 50 acre plot outside of Gadsden. I have cash enough to buy the land and start putting in farm infrastructure. But, I couldn't handle the physical labor involved by myself.

Is anybody familiar with this area of Alabama? If I took on partners, how many could the acreage provide for? Where would I go to find potential partners?

Is anybody familiar with this area of Alabama? If I took on partners, how many could the acreage provide for? Where would I go to find potential partners?
I worked out of Rainbow City, AL for 6 years and did a lot of work in Gadsden AL.
Back in the late 90's very solid economy. Probably still is today.
Wonderful soil up there because it is in "The Black Belt" (about the soil, not race).
If you move there, you will need to adopt the local dialect or you will be shunned as an outsider.
Being from Florida is a big leg up for you, as opposed to those fleeing 'yankee' states.
They don't stand a chance :oops:.

I'm sorry for your problems, @NotMeantForTheCity but I'm delighted you have a way out.
I can't comment on the States, but if it were here- for large acreage it would be rented out so you have a wee income, and somebody with horses would provide you with mature to enhance the soil.
I'd look at raised beds for your veges. But maybe you should consider forms of growing that involves less manual work. works smarter, not harder as they say. Growing Food | Blooming Health Farms
Have to say there's nothing like being in the neighbourhood to make new contacts, local folk can be so helpful. I've more questions than help, sorry!
Could you survive there long with no income?
And what time of year would you need to move so as to get some crops growing?
Could you afford to put up a small cabin or something so someone helping out had a place to live?
Sometimes you just have to 'jump'. Would your Mum go if you said you would go without her? I would think away from stress, both your health would improve, and you would be surprised at what you can achieve.
Since giving up work in a bullying environment I'm still just as busy, but so much healthier. Rarely in pain now.
https://wwoof.ie/en/Realy looking forward to hearing how you get on, the very best to you and your Mum.

I worked out of Rainbow City, AL for 6 years and did a lot of work in Gadsden AL.
Back in the late 90's very solid economy. Probably still is today.
Wonderful soil up there because it is in "The Black Belt" (about the soil, not race).
If you move there, you will need to adopt the local dialect or you will be shunned as an outsider.
Being from Florida is a big leg up for you, as opposed to those fleeing 'yankee' states.
They don't stand a chance :oops:.
I am a Florida native and I've lived here for all but a few years of my life. I don't consider anything from Orlando-South to be part of the state because of the Yankees.

I'm sorry for your problems, @NotMeantForTheCity but I'm delighted you have a way out.
I can't comment on the States, but if it were here- for large acreage it would be rented out so you have a wee income, and somebody with horses would provide you with mature to enhance the soil.
I'd look at raised beds for your veges. But maybe you should consider forms of growing that involves less manual work. works smarter, not harder as they say. Growing Food | Blooming Health Farms
Have to say there's nothing like being in the neighbourhood to make new contacts, local folk can be so helpful. I've more questions than help, sorry!
Could you survive there long with no income?
And what time of year would you need to move so as to get some crops growing?
Could you afford to put up a small cabin or something so someone helping out had a place to live?
Sometimes you just have to 'jump'. Would your Mum go if you said you would go without her? I would think away from stress, both your health would improve, and you would be surprised at what you can achieve.
Since giving up work in a bullying environment I'm still just as busy, but so much healthier. Rarely in pain now.
https://wwoof.ie/en/Realy looking forward to hearing how you get on, the very best to you and your Mum.

Healthcare would be my biggest concern. I'm covered now by a local program at a teaching hospital. Between us my mother and I have over $100K in the bank (that's losing value by the day due to inflation), and I have a life insurance policy I will have to borrow against if I'm ever to get any use out of it since I have no heirs.

I've used square-foot garden beds since the mid-90s. That reduces most weeding. If I could use chicken tractors, most of the prep work between plantings would also be reduced.

I know the area well, hunt medicinal plants up there. 2 mountains dominate that the Gadsden area. Lookout Mtn and Sand Mtn. There is a lot of very steep land on the slopes, tops are flat, valleys in between. Where those 50acres are located determines what, if anything, you'll be able to grow. There is a lot of land in the area that is fit for little besides growing timber. So buyer beware...

This was last year during spring on lookout mtn. 1st two pics taken from the same spot on the slopes. One looks downhill, the other looking up...

Pics 3&4, this is Black's Creek. It comes off the mtn on the southern tip in the city of Gadsden. (Noccalula Falls)

You can do a lot with 50acres, unless it's vertical.

Mountain   1a .JPG
Mountain   3a .JPG
Noccalula Falls  9a .JPG
Noccalula Falls  9b .JPG

Last edited:
I take it a similar property isn't available in your area, and the healthcare is not transferable? Are you able to go and stay in the area a few days to suss it out, before you commit?
The heat would keep me from ever being a farmer in Florida. The wet weather also aggravates my arthritis. I'd rather have clear skies and 30 degrees than rain and 70.

Land prices here are also crazy. The $80K that would by 50 acres in Alabama wouldn't buy the city lot I own here in Florida.

My healthcare isn't transferable.

This was last year during spring on lookout mtn. 1st two pics taken from the same spot on the slopes. One looks downhill, the other looking up...

Pics 3&4, this is Black's Creek. It comes off the mtn on the southern tip in the city of Gadsden. (Noccalula Falls)

You can do a lot with 50acres, unless it's vertical.

View attachment 103760View attachment 103761View attachment 103762View attachment 103763
Do you know how dense natural tree cover is around Gadsden? The photos here make it look sparse compared to what you'd find just about anywhere in Florida.

The photo is early march, most trees and brush hadn't leafed out yet. Brush can get thick, especially around young timber and near tree lines. Old timber is more open. But this isn't FL with year round plant growth, we have winter here.

The photo is early march, most trees and brush hadn't leafed out yet. Brush can get thick, especially around young timber and near tree lines. Old timber is more open. But this isn't FL with year round plant growth, we have winter here.
It was cold enough here around Christmas to make some trees go bare when they usually keep their leaves all year. There's a small creek on the county line just south of where I live where the trees are bare. You don't realize how many trees there are when everything is a mass of green.

Are you just wanting to provide organic food for you n your mom?
Have you thought about other options ? Maybe like a smaller farm property with a little home big enough for you both. Something you can manage without the stress of partners potentially getting ripped off.
Have you added up all the costs of building infrastructure, permits, machinery, tractors it will take to even get something out of 50 acres ..if its zoned for farming?
Maybe you havent shared some details. I dont want to be a downer on a vision so please dont take my whoaing up wrong..however with what you have shared..this might warrant some caution n more research of ideas..maybe there is a more less stressful solution for you getting out of your urban environment where you can have a little farm easy for you to manage , grow veggies and have some healthcare.

I see the same issue as Hooch with 50acres. That many acres will require equipment. I moved back to the family farm after I came down with cfs. Dad was already retired at 68. He'd bought cattle and set out 200 peach trees on 100acres. Between his age and my health it was difficult but doable. He and I together made about one sorry farm hand.

My health greatly limited my ability to help on a commercial farm. But we increased the herd size and I acquired another 40 acres just for hay. We did okay up until dad turned 80. He could do less and less farm work each year but I couldn't do more... the future was predictable (the end).

What made this endeavor doable was our experience. My dad and I were both born on this farm. We didn't have to buy then learn to use and maintain farm equipment... (some was purchased in the 50's, most in the 60's and 70's). We didn't have to figure out the complexities of the producing beef, we'd both done it since we were kids. Grow peaches? We can grow anything and have decades of experience doing so.

Long story short... we didn't have to learn to farm, we could do it in our sleep. But knowing how and having the physical ability are two very different things. With all my experience I couldn't properly use 50 acres right now... because of my health. (much less 140 acres). I urge caution when you consider this route.

2-5 acres with a little house and a tiller will be more than you can handle....you will fall asleep face planted in supper plate daily.

I'm with Peanut on this one, I'm on a lousy half-acre and it's plenty of work, lol... and I'm reasonably fit for my age, and not lazy either. 50 acres is a large parcel, and there may be wooded areas which would be difficult to clear for agricultural purposes. Much better to go smaller and save some of that money... just my $.02 on the subject. :rolleyes:

Here's a tip: find a property outside town limits, but still on "rural water" (or well water), and within easy striking range of resupply points in town. Your property taxes will be much cheaper... I pay a lousy $100 per year here on my half-acre of paradise. Soil needs to be amended, but I have big plans for this upcoming growing season. :cool:

We’ve got 48 acres most wooded that is zoned as forest land. Not a whole lot of upkeep unless we clear brush, etc.
Still working on the garden and orchard spot and will need to deer proof it, but our main reason for purchasing this was to not be close by neighbors. Not sure if that’s an option where you live.

2-5 acres with a little house and a tiller will be more than you can handle....you will fall asleep face planted in supper plate daily.
We have just over 2 acres and it whips my rear every year. with the what I call the Tsunami of Spring, the rush to get grass, weeds, tree limbs all cleared away and next years fire wood storage filled before fire season. Thankfully we have a young friend that helps us out or I'd be SOL for getting every thing done.

control for the past year). I have an undiagnosed type of arthritis that mimics rheumatoid. I have a defective aortic heart valve, left ventricle stenosis and an aortic aneurism. I've been advised that open heart surgery may be in my future.

My mother is disabled with what amounts to lupus. I am her only caregiver. The stress of our urban environment is bad for both of us, but I don't see much chance of ever talking my mother into moving.

3 of my 4 grandparents were farmers at some point in their lives before I was born. I am desperate to find a better climate and set up an organic farm. I've been looking online for land in Alabama. There's a 50 acre plot outside of Gadsden. I have cash enough to buy the land and start putting in farm infrastructure. But, I couldn't handle the physical labor involved by myself.

I don't know you NMFTC but I will be honest as if you were a friend~
If you plan on a "farming production" of any sort, it will take labor. Unfortunately, that is something everyone is short of these days. Also, partnerships seldom work out. However, there are some options that might help. If you have space to lease out hay ground, winter pasture, horse lodging etc. Those would be income sources that might allow you to get those things you are after. When it comes down to it, everything is an asset or a liability. Your assets have to be greater than your liabilities weather monetary or physical and so forth.
Best of luck to you.

We have just over 2 acres and it whips my rear every year. with the what I call the Tsunami of Spring, the rush to get grass, weeds, tree limbs all cleared away and next years fire wood storage filled before fire season. Thankfully we have a young friend that helps us out or I'd be SOL for getting every thing done.
Same here with 3 acres. I’ve got a large tree limb down in the front yard. Walked the perimeter and found three more down blocking the paths. They will have to wait until warm weather.

Are you just wanting to provide organic food for you n your mom?
Have you thought about other options ? Maybe like a smaller farm property with a little home big enough for you both. Something you can manage without the stress of partners potentially getting ripped off.
Have you added up all the costs of building infrastructure, permits, machinery, tractors it will take to even get something out of 50 acres ..if its zoned for farming?
Maybe you havent shared some details. I dont want to be a downer on a vision so please dont take my whoaing up wrong..however with what you have shared..this might warrant some caution n more research of ideas..maybe there is a more less stressful solution for you getting out of your urban environment where you can have a little farm easy for you to manage , grow veggies and have some healthcare.
I want to be as self-sufficient as possible in terms of food and energy. But, I also want the farm to serve as an education center to promote ecologically-sustainable technologies.

I want to be as self-sufficient as possible in terms of food and energy. But, I also want the farm to serve as an education center to promote ecologically-sustainable technologies.
What LL said is true.
We 6 strong, energetic kids grew up on a 350-acre farm and we worked our butsoff everyday whenever we were not in school.
If you want to make 50 acres work, you need 3 strong young people to make it perk.
Build a barn? You up for that?
We built two... and a big equipment shed also.:thumbs:
There is a big reason why people have lots of children... That's where slave labor comes from.:ghostly:
Unless you have megabux to pay workers, it won't work.:(

Last edited:
Getting started farming requires one thing, and lots of it - capital.

I grew up and still live in Iowa, and a have a bit of a different perspective about farming than most. Here, a thousand acres is just enough land to starve yourself to death. You'd have to have an off farm job to make it work, financially. My brother farms roughly 1000 acres. Last year, his pre-tax profit was probably in the area of $300,000. In '19 and '20, he didn't even clear enough to pay off the operating loans from the year before. Farming is just very volatile. He owns an 18 wheeler and has a grain transport business, plus drives a bus on the side to make himself financially secure.

My advice, if you want to make any money at all on a small piece of land, is to find a niche crop. Doesn't matter what it is. Could be organic popcorn. It's going to take time and money and you'll need an off farm job. Preferably something you can do from home. If you can survive financially long enough to get established, you can make it work.

I'm not sure about Alabama, but in my state one way to make income off timber ground is through hunting leases for city slickers. It's something to look into...

Something a relation living in upstate NY pointed out to me recently. You may be able to afford to buy a property, but can you afford to maintain/keep it? She said some states have very high property taxes, and she knows several people who didn't think through the costs afterwards, they were so distracted with the purchase.
I agree with Spokedriver above, here and in the UK 'niche' is the only thing that makes money. And not three holidays a year money, lol, living money comfortably. As an example, a dairy herd owner realised she couldn't keep the family dairy on what they were getting for the price of milk. So after some tests and trials, she bought a huge ice cream maker, now sells ice cream from a farm shop and a local restaurant. It's only milk and syrup flavouring; but she makes three times the amount from selling milk to the co-op. Maybe chutneys/ jams might work for you.

Hi NotMeantForTheCity,
I have a health situation similar to yours in a sense. I am 58, and had open heart surgery 21 years ago for an Aortic Valve Congenital disorder. I had the Ross Procedure, where your own Pulmonary is placed in the position of the Aortic Valve, and I have a human donor valve in place of the Pulmonary. I will need future replacement surgery, but at this point, all looks very good but that could change in an instant.
Like you, I had dreams of a big acreage and lots of livestock. However, I have physical limitations from my previous heart surgery that make it very well known to me that I have to take it easy. As your own surgery nears, your level of fatigue will increase. You may have increasing brain fog and dizziness, along with increased blood pressure. Your stroke risk will increase.
I was able to work out a plan with my husband (who is ten years older and 68) to move closer to our oldest son and his family to help us and live on the property, or nearby. Ten acres is it-with 5 acres cleared for a 2 homes and a little pasture and gardens, and wood lot source. We are going to the Central Alabama region. We wanted to go further South, to the Dothan area but I needed to stay close to a hospital that could handle and cover any medical emergency with my heart and future surgery, and of course, for anything that crops up with my husband. That is UAB in Birmingham. I am a nurse by profession and getting a higher degree, so that works well.
I am fortunate to have family to help. But you don't, and swindlers are everywhere in this day and age. You also need to stay close to good medical care-good emergency medical care, as well.
Then there is your mother-who has the same needs for her age. If something happened to you, she would be all alone in a strange place-on alot of acreage, and vulnerable to whoever you have helping with the land. Could she make decisions about it all in your absence? Or, face the challenge of another move in to Assisted Living?
I am talking with you woman to woman, friend to friend. At this point, my goal is to raise chickens, grow a 1/2 acre garden with help, can/freeze produce, milk two goats, MAYBE have a mini-Jersey milk cow, grow my herbs and tincture. We will be homeschooling our Granddaughter. And dear Lord, I will be bone tired at the end of each day. I always have the fatigue associated with heart issues. I just push through. If I go first, my husband will have our son to help him manage, and our Grandchildren. What are your short term and long term goals? We live on 4 rocky acres right now, on a hilly property. It's all I can do to grow produce in pots and growing boxes, and pull my chicken tractor around for 10 chickens twice a day, tend to my herbs and put up what we can grow. My Hubby just can't mow the grass anymore on the hilly terrain, so we have to hire it out. Don't go with any hilly terrain. Keep it all on flat land. I grew up on farming-I was lucky in that regard.
It looks as if Gadsden is 1 hour from UAB. That is a good thing and you/your Mom could be transferred in case of.
But take your time, go test the soil on that land first-check to see if it's rocky or mossy or holds too much water and dries out well.
Keep in touch with us here, we can help. I can give you smart tips to do your physical work in wise ways to not impact your heart so much, when you need them.

Hi NotMeantForTheCity,
I have a health situation similar to yours in a sense. I am 58, and had open heart surgery 21 years ago for an Aortic Valve Congenital disorder. I had the Ross Procedure, where your own Pulmonary is placed in the position of the Aortic Valve, and I have a human donor valve in place of the Pulmonary. I will need future replacement surgery, but at this point, all looks very good but that could change in an instant.
Like you, I had dreams of a big acreage and lots of livestock. However, I have physical limitations from my previous heart surgery that make it very well known to me that I have to take it easy. As your own surgery nears, your level of fatigue will increase. You may have increasing brain fog and dizziness, along with increased blood pressure. Your stroke risk will increase.
I was able to work out a plan with my husband (who is ten years older and 68) to move closer to our oldest son and his family to help us and live on the property, or nearby. Ten acres is it-with 5 acres cleared for a 2 homes and a little pasture and gardens, and wood lot source. We are going to the Central Alabama region. We wanted to go further South, to the Dothan area but I needed to stay close to a hospital that could handle and cover any medical emergency with my heart and future surgery, and of course, for anything that crops up with my husband. That is UAB in Birmingham. I am a nurse by profession and getting a higher degree, so that works well.
I am fortunate to have family to help. But you don't, and swindlers are everywhere in this day and age. You also need to stay close to good medical care-good emergency medical care, as well.
Then there is your mother-who has the same needs for her age. If something happened to you, she would be all alone in a strange place-on alot of acreage, and vulnerable to whoever you have helping with the land. Could she make decisions about it all in your absence? Or, face the challenge of another move in to Assisted Living?
I am talking with you woman to woman, friend to friend. At this point, my goal is to raise chickens, grow a 1/2 acre garden with help, can/freeze produce, milk two goats, MAYBE have a mini-Jersey milk cow, grow my herbs and tincture. We will be homeschooling our Granddaughter. And dear Lord, I will be bone tired at the end of each day. I always have the fatigue associated with heart issues. I just push through. If I go first, my husband will have our son to help him manage, and our Grandchildren. What are your short term and long term goals? We live on 4 rocky acres right now, on a hilly property. It's all I can do to grow produce in pots and growing boxes, and pull my chicken tractor around for 10 chickens twice a day, tend to my herbs and put up what we can grow. My Hubby just can't mow the grass anymore on the hilly terrain, so we have to hire it out. Don't go with any hilly terrain. Keep it all on flat land. I grew up on farming-I was lucky in that regard.
It looks as if Gadsden is 1 hour from UAB. That is a good thing and you/your Mom could be transferred in case of.
But take your time, go test the soil on that land first-check to see if it's rocky or mossy or holds too much water and dries out well.
Keep in touch with us here, we can help. I can give you smart tips to do your physical work in wise ways to not impact your heart so much, when you need them.
My doctors are convinced that if I am awake, then my blood pressure is too high. So I already have a lot of fatigue and dizziness due to the BP meds I am on- something that most of my doctors won't believe.

I'm sorry for all your problems and troubled situation.
I can barely stand the heat and humidity of NJ summers, I not sure I could survive AL.
Best of luck to you.

Latest posts

Back