I am going to St Louis Missouri.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Renting a van, three drivers,60,59,26, salty snacks & beef jerky, bottled water.
If this works out DW & I may do something once a year at a slower pace.
This is longer than going to Florida from S.C.

Before we moved to Virginia and became farmers we lived in Florida and traveled every year for 3 weeks, driving all over the US. So anything you want to know , you can probably ask me, don't think all that much has changed in the last 6 years ( last big trip we did was 6 years ago, drove from Florida to Washington State , and various other places , put 11000 miles on my truck in 3 weeks....).
Your trip is not bad, you are not driving through any terrible traffic areas ( like Atlanta, or DC, or Houston). Nashville can have a lot of traffic, so plan extra time for that. My advice, check your google map frequently for accidents or other traffic jams , and if there is a big one ahead, get off the interstate and go around it. Nothing worse than being stuck in a interstate traffic jam for hours.
St Luis: been there several times, the Arch is interesting, has a little museum at the bottom. Is it even open or shut because of Covid? If you are allowed to go up to the top, it is very claustrophobic and sort of scary on top and on the way. I was glad when we were back down. I am not afraid of heights but I didn't like this.
We also went to the oldest Lutheran church , and on a boat trip. Again, not sure what is open now. Beware, most of St Luis downtown is scary ghetto, don't get lost, don't get out anywhere except the touristy areas.
Have fun!
Always great to have good travel info, your trip is fun for all of us!

Always great to have good travel info, your trip is fun for all of us!

There used to be this awesome travel website called Virtual Tourist, it's gone now, bought by Trip Advisor, but I had tons of pages on there and met a lot of people traveling. We even had a meeting in Orlando when we still lived there...good times....I still have friends from there on my FB

I used to travel quite a bit and learned that during long drives, NEVER to eat normal meals on the road, no matter how tempting. I would get sleepy and also encounter other issues with not being able to walk around much. (I satisfied my craving for normal meals at the end of the day's drive.)

To combat road fatigue while keeping myself nourished on long trips, I packed fruits (especially handy-to-eat grapes and bananas), yogurt, homemade granola bars, and deer or beef jerky, and a small amount of cheese and olives to go along with a salad. Salads were kept fresh and crisp by packing prewashed and dried salad greens wrapped in paper towels. A variety of homemade salad dressings that contained a fair amount of olive oil provided the necessary fats to keep energy up. Croutons sprinkled on the salad and cracker snacks also provided carb-energy without getting sleepy later (as a hamburger bun would).

I also enjoyed an order of fries now and then! (Carb + salt + fats = yummy energy). Ketchup: brought homemade which is lower in sugar and much more flavorful than any storebought I have ever eaten.

Over the miles, I grazed on these things, yogurt and fruit at one stop, the jerky or granola bars while I drove, the salad at another stop, etc.

Cold homemade teas (sweetened with a mix of 1/2 coconut sugar, which has a low glycemic profile, and 1/2 stevia), instead of soda drinks. This kept me from falling into the dreaded sugar highs and lows that demanded more and more until I was left pure D exhausted.

As a result of this dietary change from the usual, I was not affected by road fatigue, no matter how many miles I went that day, as long as I got a good amount of sleep at night.

Last edited:
You are about 8 hours out. Hope all goes well. Three things you have to try when you are here: gooey butter cake, toasted ravioli, and St. Louis style pizza. The pizza here is flat. Not my cup of tea growing up in Brooklyn, but the people here love it. It is different.

Latest posts

Back