I am going to St Louis Missouri.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small of my back sore from sitting 800 miles.
If this happens again I will stop overnight every 400 miles.
There are special pillows to help with this. After I hurt myself when tuckpointing my house a couple decades ago, a physical therapist recommended one for me. I had a couple Volvo's over the years, and while they are supposed to have comfortable seats, my back always bothered me when driving them on road trips.

You are about 8 hours out. Hope all goes well. Three things you have to try when you are here: gooey butter cake, toasted ravioli, and St. Louis style pizza. The pizza here is flat. Not my cup of tea growing up in Brooklyn, but the people here love it. It is different.
Hope you are stopping for ice cream😁.

Small of my back sore from sitting 800 miles.
If this happens again I will stop overnight every 400 miles.
Frequent breaks to walk around help. Adjustable lumbar support seats help too. Both my cars have them. There is also a special lumbar pillow that can really help. I got one from my chiropractor for about $35.

Averaging 50-55mph over the course of 5-600 miles is the goal I used to set. This is on a cross country drive of over 2000 miles. Figure interstate speed of 70-80mph with proper breaks for rest/food/fuel (3 to 4), will give you an average of 50-55mph over an entire day. I found pushing myself beyond that hurt the next day's drive. I was driving alone so only could relax when stopped.

The only time I went beyond that was on a 1900 mile drive with 2 other people. We did it in 27 continuous hours. I never want to try that again. The only time we stopped was for fuel. Food and a trip to the restroom was at the gas station.

Peanut, son did all the driving & I should have walked more when we stopped.
I would have stayed around 65 to 70 & DW would have went 50 to 60. So son just ran with the flow of traffic & we made great time.

Averaging 50-55mph over the course of 5-600 miles is the goal I used to set. This is on a cross country drive of over 2000 miles. Figure interstate speed of 70-80mph with proper breaks for rest/food/fuel (3 to 4), will give you an average of 50-55mph over an entire day. I found pushing myself beyond that hurt the next day's drive. I was driving alone so only could relax when stopped.

The only time I went beyond that was on a 1900 mile drive with 2 other people. We did it in 27 continuous hours. I never want to try that again. The only time we stopped was for fuel. Food and a trip to the restroom was at the gas station.
I did that as well - Los Angeles to Kearney, Nebraska, straight through. I was driving with a coworker, we took his vehicle and left my car at his house. I had to drive almost 6 hours home by myself from Kearney, after that run from Los Angeles. Total drive time was about 30 hours. One thing that helped, was stopping at about 4 different Denny's or IHOP locations on the way. Get out, walk around, sprawl out in the booth while waiting for the food. Those hour long breaks were lifesavers. I don't ever want to make a run like that again...

I did that as well - Los Angeles to Kearney, Nebraska, straight through.

I don't ever want to make a run like that again...
We made our time over night, Mare Island CA to Houston TX. about 9pm we filled up at Riverside CA, as soon as we got back on I-10 a group of semi-trucks came by doing about 100mph. We tucked in behind and followed until we had to fill up, somewhere near New Mexico. As soon as we got back on the road another group came by, another white knuckle ride... We filled up again somewhere in TX, didn't slow down until we got close to San Antonio TX. Every state trooper in 3 states must have had that Friday night off... we didn't see a single one.
biggrin.gif
and those big trucks weren't slowing down!

Last edited:
We made our time over night, Mare Island CA to Houston TX. about 9pm we filled up at Riverside CA, as soon as we got back on I-10 a group of semi-trucks came by doing about 100mph. We tucked in behind and followed until we had to fill up, somewhere near New Mexico. As coon as we got back on the road another group came by, another white knuckle ride... We filled up again somewhere in TX, didn't slow down until we got close to San Antonio TX. Every state trooper in 3 states must have had that Friday night off... we didn't see a single one. View attachment 66075 and those big trucks weren't slowing down!
When you find a good "front door" :)

Joel: Hope the wedding went well, and you enjoyed your brief stay in our area, That is definitely a whirlwind trip, We too are pretty much past the point of driving through. We did it a few years ago driving down the Destin, FL but even the return trip we split up. Somewhere between 500 and 600 miles is all we really want to do in a day.

I got T-shirts of Lewis & Clark, ask the manger when they where going to have one in North or South Carolina? He said he did not know, but his family went to South Carolina to see the Forts & learn about the Palmetto tree & how it saved the forts.
https://chstoday.6amcity.com/south-carolina-state-flag-history/

A buddy and I drove from San Diego to Eastern Washington over a 4 day Memorial Day weekend. 22 hours up and 21.5 hours back. The speed limit was 55 way back then. My buddy got stopped for speeding and told the CHP he was driving me to Seattle because my wife and daughter were in a car wreck. The cop told him to be careful and let him go.

Latest posts

Back