I am looking for help recovering PSF files. PSF, not a typo.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Does anyone have enough computer skills to convert old photographs that are in a PSF format into JPG format? In 2004 I used an Epson scanner to scan and save MANY old family photographs but that old HP computer broke (the mother board actually broke). When I scanned the many photographs mom was able to tell me who was in each picture, where it was taken and the year and occasion and each picture was titled with those notes. The information is priceless since mom passed. I have the files saved on a thumb drive but short of buying a new Adobe program that may or may not work I would like to see if the pictures can be viewed and converted. I am willing to buy software to install on my computer but I want to make sure it will do the job. I will try to attach one photo as an example.
NOPE, this is the error message I got when I tried to attach the file
" Barksdale and Dad in Germany.PSF
The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. The following extensions are allowed: .zip, .txt, .pdf, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .gif, .instagr.am, .m4v, .mov, .mp4, .mp4v, .mpeg, .mpg, .ogv, .webm "

I am willing to buy the software and do the work, I just need to know it will be possible. I have been looking for many years for this thumb drive and finally found it last night. I can't tell if the file attached, but let's try. The "File Type" says PSF File.

If anyone thinks they can figure this out I can email a picture as a sample and if you come up with a solution I will get the software and do the work.

Thank you in advance.
Michael

Does anyone have enough computer skills to convert old photographs that are in a PSF format into JPG format? In 2004 I used an Epson scanner to scan and save MANY old family photographs but that old HP computer broke (the mother board actually broke). When I scanned the many photographs mom was able to tell me who was in each picture, where it was taken and the year and occasion and each picture was titled with those notes. The information is priceless since mom passed. I have the files saved on a thumb drive but short of buying a new Adobe program that may or may not work I would like to see if the pictures can be viewed and converted. I am willing to buy software to install on my computer but I want to make sure it will do the job. I will try to attach one photo as an example.
NOPE, this is the error message I got when I tried to attach the file
" Barksdale and Dad in Germany.PSF
The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. The following extensions are allowed: .zip, .txt, .pdf, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .gif, .instagr.am, .m4v, .mov, .mp4, .mp4v, .mpeg, .mpg, .ogv, .webm "

I am willing to buy the software and do the work, I just need to know it will be possible. I have been looking for many years for this thumb drive and finally found it last night. I can't tell if the file attached, but let's try. The "File Type" says PSF File.

If anyone thinks they can figure this out I can email a picture as a sample and if you come up with a solution I will get the software and do the work.

Thank you in advance.
Michael
This may help.

https://www.reaconverter.com/convert/psf_to_jpg.html
Ben

The "XnView" program can read them and convert them (according to it's documentation - I have never personally tried though).

https://www.xnview.com/en/
Available for Windows, MAC, Linux. Free.
Thank you. Unless I am missing something it doesn't look like XNview supports the PSF file. They list .....
" JPEG, TIFF, PNG, GIF, WEBP, PSD, JPEG2000, OpenEXR, camera RAW, HEIC, PDF, DNG, CR2)"

I just need to convert them. I will make several jump drives to send to all my family members, and make myself a photo album, but I just need them converted to jpg.
Did you check out the link I provided?

It will convert all files in a folder and had a free trial.

Again I did not try it.

I asked The Princess and she has never had to deal with psf files either.

Ben

Thank you. Unless I am missing something it doesn't look like XNview supports the PSF file. They list .....
" JPEG, TIFF, PNG, GIF, WEBP, PSD, JPEG2000, OpenEXR, camera RAW, HEIC, PDF, DNG, CR2)"
I think you must have just found a sampling of what the program supports. Below is the list of formats it supports (over 500 formats). PSF is listed as a "PhotoStudio File". Note that XnView can read PSF files, but it cannot write them. But that's not what you want to do. You want to read PSF, convert and write to JPG. It seems like XnView will do that.

https://www.xnview.com/en/image_formats/

You could also try simply renaming photo.psf to photo.jpg and see if you can open it. I have no idea if this will work for psf files. It does for some file types however. IF you can open it just by renaming it, try saving it to newphoto.jpg. That would (theoretically) get rid of the extra stuff in the psf file that you do not want.

This trick is worth a try. Probably won't work. But it won't hurt anything either (as long as you don't overwrite and wipe out your original file).

As an example that illustrates this trick, for "m4v" files, you can rename movie.m4v to movie.mp4 and be able to open it if you couldn't before.

This the explanation for ReaConverter.com
" The PSF file format is associated with images created or edited using a photo editing program named ArcSoft PhotoStudio. The software provides a set of advanced features for handling images, including editing and enhancing image quality, cropping and adjusting white balance, supporting RAW images etc. PSF files are most likely impossible to access with other programs than PhotoStudio. "

It is looking like PhotoStudio may no longer be available as ArcSoft seems to have switched directions on what they do and offer.

At least so far that is what I am seeing.

Did you check out the link I provided?

It will convert all files in a folder and had a free trial.

Again I did not try it.

I asked The Princess and she has never had to deal with psf files either.

Ben
I have been looking through the link and trying to search for information. I don't know much about computers but initially I didn't see it listing PSF. Maybe XNview is similar to what Haertig is mentioning below, that it can read them and convert them but not create them?
I am not opposed to trying something, especially if it is a free trial, but I want to at least get a good idea it will work before just downloading it. My GF used to do photography and her kids need photography stuff for school so if we can find something that will work for me and will also be what they like for their needs we will take the plunge. I am just trying to learn right now because I basically know nuthin but I appreciate your help. Thank you.

I think you must have just found a sampling of what the program supports. Below is the list of formats it supports (over 500 formats). PSF is listed as a "PhotoStudio File". Note that XnView can read PSF files, but it cannot write them. But that's not what you want to do. You want to read PSF, convert and write to JPG. It seems like XnView will do that.

https://www.xnview.com/en/image_formats/

That is making sense, I was not thinking in that direction. I will keep studying. As I replied to Ben above in addition to my needs my GF and her kids will need some updated photo software eventually so if we can find something that fixes my problem and will work for them it will be a money saver. I am still reading and searching. Thank you for the help.

My GF used to do photography and her kids need photography stuff for school
"GIMP". In capabilities, very much like Photoshop (expensive), but GIMP is free. And available on many different platforms. I use GIMP all the time, having abandoned Photoshop.

Don't try to look for a single program that will do everything. Photo editing (GIMP) is far different from format conversions (XnView is a viewer/converter).

You may also consider "Photoshop Elements" (different from full Photoshop). Elements has many of the photography specific features of full Photoshop (not all, but many). It lacks full Photoshop's vector graphics stuff. Elements is much cheaper than full Photoshop. However, GIMP has many more features and capabilities than Elements. I used to use Elements quite heavily, but GIMP is what I use now.

https://www.gimp.org/

Glad you seem to have it under control! And @Haertig is right... using several different programs to complete one project is very common. I worked with a lot of imaging software for my job and did that very thing all the time.

And thanks for a reminder... I have a similar problem I need to resolve.

One interesting thing about the Adobe product Photoshop Elements...

While it lacks many of the full Photoshop features, Adobe did not do that by removing the features from Elements, they only removed the menu choices that allow you to access those features. So along came a book, "Hidden Elements", that included a CD. On that CD were plug-ins you could install in Elements to provide the missing menu choices to access the "hidden" features of full Photoshop. I think newer versions of Elements wisened up to this and actually deleted the features themselves. But for many years I was using Hidden Elements with Photoshop Elements.

And another thing Adobe did ... they published Photoshop Trial Editions. These trial softwares had fewer features than full Photoshop, and IIRC, some of those features expired after a time (I can't remember for sure). But other features in the trial never expired. So those of us "in the know" would buy cheap Elements, buy the book Hidden Elements, and download one of the Photoshop free trials. That combination gave you a lot more capabilities than just plain old Elements. Nowadays, we have GIMP though, and that beats all the gyrations you had to go through to get a patched together pseudo-Photoshop. Beats it in capabilities, features, and convenience. I'm harping on GIMP a lot, but it really is good. Pro level stuff. The interface is quite different from Photoshop, so if you're used to the Photoshop user interface, you will be lost in GIMP at first. These days, I know GIMP much better, and I'm lost in Photoshop.

The "XnView" program can read them and convert them (according to it's documentation - I have never personally tried though).

https://www.xnview.com/en/
Available for Windows, MAC, Linux. Free.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Not too difficult to install the program for a computer nobody like me, and it worked. After spending 2 hours looking through all the old photos and taking pictures of a few on the computer screen to send them to various family members to enjoy........ it was rather easy to convert the pictures to JPG. The original stays and the JPG shows up next to it, and the best part is all the old titles for the picture names stayed the same so everyone will know the details for each photo.

Thanks to all who offered advice, I tried XNview first because it was free and obviously easy for a simpleton like me to use.

My Grandfather, in World War 1.
1643848666812.jpeg

My father driving, Jim Fundaro and his friend (last name) Barksdale, in Germany during WW2
1643849079124.jpeg

XnView is a regular toolbox of goodies, I'm waiting on the update so it'll do .web files.
Windows paint is the only thing I currently have that will convert those things.

Latest posts

Back