I am looking for large heavy duty storage hooks for the garage wall.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I need some good quality, affordable, storage hooks for the garage wall. I want them to hang a couple extension ladders, scaffolding sections, long heavy boards that are part of the scaffolding, etc. I could make them out of 2x4's, I have made a few of those already, but they take up more room and lumber is still kinda pricey. Anyone have and suggestions on what may have worked for you. I am thinking each hook should be good for 50 pounds or more, I would like them to stick out about 12" or more, and I do not want the wall rack systems like pegboard or the sliding hooks in board type stuff.

Something resembling these, but good quality.
Thanks in advance.
1637260423779.png

I need some good quality, affordable, storage hooks for the garage wall. I want them to hang a couple extension ladders, scaffolding sections, long heavy boards that are part of the scaffolding, etc. I could make them out of 2x4's, I have made a few of those already, but they take up more room and lumber is still kinda pricey. Anyone have and suggestions on what may have worked for you. I am thinking each hook should be good for 50 pounds or more, I would like them to stick out about 12" or more, and I do not want the wall rack systems like pegboard or the sliding hooks in board type stuff.

Something resembling these, but good quality.
Thanks in advance.
View attachment 75657
If you were to go to a metal shop and ask for a section (4'-5'?) of Square Tube w/ 1/8" wall, you could possibly bend it and drill the holes yourself (or they could for $$$) but you would have brackets that would hold a good load. Do be sure to anchor them into a solid stud. You might not realize, but many of those things are made in China. We don't even produce metal tube that thin in the USA - part of why it's so cheap.

I have used heavy L brackets, I bolted 2 together to make a U, I have used 2 different sizes to vary the dept of the draw, I wrapped the bottom section with pipe insulation fastened with electrical tape so my bolt heads don't scrape the item being held.

Really cheap? I bought 20ft of 3/8" rebar once. I have an acetylene torch, anvil and a 4lb hammer. I made several shop wall hooks any size I needed. They sell rubberized coating in gallon cans. You can coat or paint them.
Using this approach using 1/4" thick 2" wide strap you can make some really nice custom brackets... I've made some custom hooks this way.

Thanks to all of you. Very good suggestions. While reading through I remembered I have a welder so I could fabricate my own brackets, maybe using a combination of all these ideas.

1/2 or 5/8 rebar heated bent & shaped
How would I anchor the rebar to the wall? I don't think I could drill through it and even if I did the lag bolt would be too small to offer a good bite into the wall studs.

Easy peasy After shaping heat and flatten a couple spots by 1/2 and rebar drills easy it's a soft steel. 1/4 inch lag bolts will hold several hundred pounds each. I remember back in the day IE late 80's a building inspector telling me a 1/2 lag bolt had a breaking point of around 13,000 pounds.

Wide bends 90*-180* say 4 inches inside and up can probably be done cold smaller than that needs heat. ALWAYS bend around a large pipe or chunk of firewood anything really so it doesn't act like pipe and kink & snap. Yes I've done this more than once. lol

All you're doing is making a simple J hook.

We use to bend short pieces on the hitch on the back of the work truck on jobsites and a vise after getting one that slid in the receiver .

Last edited:
Easy peasy After shaping heat and flatten a couple spots by 1/2 and rebar drills easy it's a soft steel. 1/4 inch lag bolts will hold several hundred pounds each. I remember back in the day IE late 80's a building inspector telling me a 1/2 lag bolt had a breaking point of around 13,000 pounds.

Wide bends 90*-180* say 4 inches inside and up can probably be done cold smaller than that needs heat. ALWAYS bend around a large pipe or chunk of firewood anything really so it doesn't act like pipe and kink & snap. Yes I've done this more than once. lol

All you're doing is making a simple J hook.

We use to bend short pieces on the hitch on the back of the work truck on jobsites and a vise after getting one that slid in the receiver .

Great information. Probably the easiest option so far. Thank you.

My Dad drilled holes in the studs of a no-load bearing wall and put 1/2" conduit in them to hang rolls of upholstery material. The pipe were about a foot long and would hold a full roll of material. The holes were drilled at an angle so the material would roll back and not fall off. Cheap easy and did the job.

Go to home depot and buy a 10' piece of 3/8'' all thread rod or 2- 5' pieces
place center of the rod against a 4'' pipe. and bend it around the pipe in a U shape. cut off the extra rod
drill a 1/2'' hole in your wood. insert rod and use nuts/washers to secure.
slip some plastic tubing over the hook portion

If you have a welder, make your own with two inch X 1/4 angle, that hook with a small gusset will hold up 300#.

Great advice. Thank you. I think I may be leaning towards eventually making some out of either metal strap or using Joel's advice to use the 2"angle iron. But for now, until I get free time and extra cash I picked up some 45# and 75# hooks from Harbor Freight just to get me by until then. They will be strong enough for what I need I just doubt they will last very long. But for the price compared to the same things at home depot I figured they are worth the price.

"Great advice. Thank you. I think I may be leaning towards eventually making some out of either metal strap"
At work we made ladder hangers out of 2 inch wide X 1/4 stainless steel bar strap, drilled two holes in them to a 40' ladder that it so heavy two people had to move it. The angle was for pipe & conduit hanger & was over kill, to make sure nothing fail on people head.

Latest posts

Back