I am taking the plunge!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they just keep coming. Got my tshirts today. The fools spelled the domain name wrong in two places. Incompetence is running rampant. They will not answer phones now either. Probably going to have to dispute it with the bank.

20200518_114036.jpg

This was my design proof.

20200518_141730.jpg

And they just keep coming. Got my tshirts today. The fools spelled the domain name wrong in two places. Incompetence is running rampant. They will not answer phones now either. Probably going to have to dispute it with the bank.

View attachment 42486

This was my design proof.

View attachment 42487

We just got a delivery of 50 Garden Hose when we ordered and paid for a 100 Ft garden hose.
We don't have nearly the number of competent people working in this country anymore.
Hope you get it taken care of Cnsper.Good Luck

We just got a delivery of 50 Garden Hose when we ordered and paid for a 100 Ft garden hose.
We don't have nearly the number of competent people working in this country anymore.
Hope you get it taken care of Cnsper.Good Luck
I just went to a local shop and will have shirts and hats by next week. I am giving up buying online.

On a good note, I just got a phone call from a guy that wholesales specialty meats like bison, elk and specialty sausages. Those would be a good addition to the seafood.

I just went to a local shop and will have shirts and hats by next week. I am giving up buying online.

On a good note, I just got a phone call from a guy that wholesales specialty meats like bison, elk and specialty sausages. Those would be a good addition to the seafood.

Cnsper that sounds good. I've peddled seafood and used my van for chuck wagon aka catering to construction sites. Both did very well but grandkids started coming and wanted more time with them.
I envy you although it was hard work it was enjoyable. Just be careful now about robbery's. Its a crazy world out there now I didn't have to deal with.

Boy has this been a pain. Just trying to locate a freezer has been challenging but I have gotten over that hump. Tomorrow the freezer that I ordered will be here.

Then just today I scored two more freezers for free. One is an old stainless one that has the half doors you lift. The bottom is rusty but has no holes. A little cleaning and some paint and that one is ready to go.

The second one was attacked by a parrot. The owners parrots got out and they chewed the cord. The bad part is that the freezer has thawed spoiled meat in it. If I haul that to the dump I get the freezer for free. A good cleaning with ammonia and then vinegar it will be good as new once I replace the cord.

Picking both of them this weekend.

I finished the lettering of the trailer

20200525_110522.jpg

Moved into a cheaper house in preparation for getting on the road. In doing so, I discovered an aviary and now I have added raw honey and creamed honey to the truck.

20200606_131027.jpg
20200606_131039.jpg

Since these are generic containers I decided to brand my own label so I created some stickers that are a play on my name.
20200606_221414.jpg

I am branching out into my own sauce. I make a silky smooth smoky sauce and have decided to produce that sauce. After working all week on different variations I now have 3 versions. Mild, no pepper, medium with some bite but not much, then a hot that most would consider a medium heat.

I like heat but I prefer it to have flavor the most. So a bite with a great flavor. Here are the labels I came up with.

Sauce_Mild_141170654646370.jpeg
Sauce_Medium_141131714253628.jpeg
Sauce_Hot_141219352111720.jpeg

I may be going off the deep end here but I have decided to give this seafood thing a try. People keep telling me how so many are out of work etc. What I see are a lot of people making more than they would at their jobs and have extra to spend. Besides, the people that would be purchasing seafood are not ones that live paycheck to paycheck.

Anyhow, I decided to call the business "Seafood Pantry" with a tag line of 'From Hook to Table'

I don't need any local licenses except the county that I reside in, registering with the state (already done and approved) and a health inspection on the vehicle hauling the product. I have equipment on the way that will allow me to take credit cards, apple pay and google pay. I also secured a domain name last night that I think people will remember because it is so unique. seafoodpantry.fish

Any how, by the end of the month I should be up and running. Not waiting for the economy and oil to come back. Here is the logo that I made up.

View attachment 41234
This is absolutely clever marketing! I hope you succeed!

Now that China is becoming the boogey man when it comes to supplying products to the USA (especially food!), maybe you won't have to compete with their crazy rock bottom prices.

My brother was a shrimper in the Gulf of Mexico and commercial fisherman in the Louisiana bayous, and had to hang up his nets and his boat because of Chinese competition. Unscrupulous people were sneaking in frozen seafood from China, thawing it out at the dock and selling to unsuspecting buyers which included restaurants and food processing businesses. Cheap, cheap!!!!! They undercut the local industry so much that they could no longer afford to buy fuel and ice.

If you see lowball pricing in your area, report them! Maybe your government is not as crooked as Louisiana and will put a stop to it.

Now that China is becoming the boogey man when it comes to supplying products to the USA (especially food!), maybe you won't have to compete with their crazy rock bottom prices.

My brother was a shrimper in the Gulf of Mexico and commercial fisherman in the Louisiana bayous, and had to hang up his nets and his boat because of Chinese competition. Unscrupulous people were sneaking in frozen seafood from China, thawing it out at the dock and selling to unsuspecting buyers which included restaurants and food processing businesses. Cheap, cheap!!!!! They undercut the local industry so much that they could no longer afford to buy fuel and ice.

If you see lowball pricing in your area, report them! Maybe your government is not as crooked as Louisiana and will put a stop to it.

Happens everywhere and its a shame how the American worker is undercut in so many ways.I never had to deal with that I know of .

I am sure that happens. The supplier that I found actually processes the fish either onshore or onboard a ship.

I know someone else that is doing the same thing in another state. Because of the airlines he can't get live oysters and such. I can get them because my distributor trucks them in.

As far as fresh goes, I can get it but because of where I am the fish is 3 to 4 days old before I get it.

This other guy gets fresh shrimp and puts them on ice. Now he is out for 4 days at a time. That whole time the shrimp sits in the same icy cooler and water. That to me is not fresh and kinda disgusting.

I would much rather eat frozen than stuff that has been chilled for 7 days because the frozen is fresher in the long run.

I am sourcing all that I can from the US. Some species are just not available here.

I was talking to someone the other day and he said he only ate fresh. I asked him if he eats farmed salmon and he said no. Then I asked if he ate salmon between October and May. He said yes he does.

I then told him he was eating thawed or farmed then. He said no way, he always bought fresh. Then I explained to him how the salmon seasons were only about 45 days in the summer.

The look on his face was priceless when it sunk in.

The second one was attacked by a parrot. The owners parrots got out and they chewed the cord. The bad part is that the freezer has thawed spoiled meat in it. If I haul that to the dump I get the freezer for free. A good cleaning with ammonia and then vinegar it will be good as new once I replace the cord.

You might reconsider NOT getting the freezer that had thawed spoiled meat in it after you read about my experience.

I have a freezer that suffered a tripped breaker (lighting strike) while I was gone for a few days. Only part of the meat in the freezer actually spoiled, but WOW, the smell! I cannot get the odor out of the freezer. Smells like a dead body to me. ugh. Moved the freezer outside, washed, washed, and washed that sucker some more. Hosed it out with the garden hose and washed some more.

Washed it with hot soapy water, rinsed, repeated a few times. Then washed it with a few gallons of ammonia. Yes, it was gallons after washing rinsing and repeating a few times. Odor still there. Scrubbed it with baking soda and vinegar. Rinsed, repeated a few times. Let the vinegar sit in there for a few days. Rinsed, repeated a few times.

Even bought some Bac Out and used that! (That is some powerful stuff with enzymes and all kinds of magic, lol.)

Right now, that freezer STILL has that odor, not as bad but still there. Certainly enough to permeate what foods I would attempt to put in there. Some of my friends can smell it, and some say it's "not too bad."

I am at my wits end, but I don't have a business reputation to preserve.

Spoiled meat odors could ruin it all.

That freezer might end up being a case of "penny-wise, but dollar-foolish."

I won't eat frozen fish or fish that is more than a day old. You can tell by looking at the flesh if it has been frozen or if it is old.
In Seattle I ate a lot of fish, here in Walla Walla Valley I eat very little and I miss it. Cod, Red Snapper, salmon and flounder it's all good when fresh.

As a businessman you might do better to get live shrimp , crab and lobster.
Live fish is a bit harder to do.

You might reconsider NOT getting the freezer that had thawed spoiled meat in it after you read about my experience.

I have a freezer that suffered a tripped breaker (lighting strike) while I was gone for a few days. Only part of the meat in the freezer actually spoiled, but WOW, the smell! I cannot get the odor out of the freezer. Smells like a dead body to me. ugh. Moved the freezer outside, washed, washed, and washed that sucker some more. Hosed it out with the garden hose and washed some more.

Washed it with hot soapy water, rinsed, repeated a few times. Then washed it with a few gallons of ammonia. Yes, it was gallons after washing rinsing and repeating a few times. Odor still there. Scrubbed it with baking soda and vinegar. Rinsed, repeated a few times. Let the vinegar sit in there for a few days. Rinsed, repeated a few times.

Even bought some Bac Out and used that! (That is some powerful stuff with enzymes and all kinds of magic, lol.)

Right now, that freezer STILL has that odor, not as bad but still there. Certainly enough to permeate what foods I would attempt to put in there. Some of my friends can smell it, and some say it's "not too bad."

I am at my wits end, but I don't have a business reputation to preserve.

Spoiled meat odors could ruin it all.

That freezer might end up being a case of "penny-wise, but dollar-foolish."
To late. I already have it. I did not clean with ammonia, I just set a bowl of it in there and closed the lid. After 3 days I put a whole can of coffee all over the bottom. Try coffee grounds. I still have to finish cleaning but the coffee grounds absorb the odor. I can't even smell the rot anymore.

I picked up an additional product today. I kept thinking what would someone that buys seafood buy? Coffee! Not the store type of coffee but select roast coffee. Now I am not a coffee drinker because I hate the bitter after taste. I tried one of theirs and WOW! That coffee was so smooth and no bitterness at all.

Anyhow, I located a small roaster about 35 miles from me and she was happy to get more of her product out the door. You can order her stuff online too. She is located in a town of about 300 people that is half way between BFE and Timbucktoo.
Her business is Wild Calf Coffee. I have samples from Brazil, Ethiopia, Kenya and Columbia. I have only tried the Columbia and it has no bitterness at all. Check her out at Wild Calf dot Com

Wild Calf Coffee.png

I should finally be on the road this week. Just waiting in final permits from the health department.

Here is the lettering on the trailer.
20200525_110522.jpg

To set myself apart from others I decided to paint the interior of the trailer and add some decor. I still have a crab and a lobster waiting at the post office.
20200628_201546.jpg

20200628_201934.jpg

20200628_201946.jpg

If you think you can make a bit extra from the sauces and honey online look into opening an Etsy.com shop. I did that to sell some of my vintage sewing patterns when Roo was little. Food seems to be one of the big selling items on the site.

I am officially in the deep end of the pool. I got my final health department permit and now I can get on the road. Picking up tomorrow ant starting right away. Just 8n time for the 4th weekend

I am officially in the deep end of the pool. I got my final health department permit and now I can get on the road. Picking up tomorrow ant starting right away. Just 8n time for the 4th weekend
EXCITING!! Does this mean you're going to crack a bottle of non-alcoholic bubbly over the bumper of your trailer?? Set Sail!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!:lil guy::clapping::pickup:🦀🦞🐙🐠🐊🌵

Last Thursday I picked up my first load of seafood. In 7 days I have sold about 4600 dollars worth of seafood. I have had some suprises with the demand for higher priced stuff. 16 to 20 oz lobster tails, started out with 10 pounds down to two. 8 ounce tails are down to two. Swordfish, halibut. Large shrimp all gone. Alligator is gone. 30 pounds of Dungeness crab is gone.

It has been an amazing trip this week. I am going to like this. I have dang near paid for the original load

Thought that I would post a few pics of some of the products I carry on the truck. That and @Sentry18 needs some more seafood ads... lol

4-6 Shrimp per pound
Scallops
Dungeness crab
Swordfish
Salmon

20200711_145614.jpg

20200706_131406.jpg

20200710_174300.jpg

20200704_122610.jpg

Attachments

• 20200704_122223.jpg
    20200704_122223.jpg