I do remember this

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of my fondest memories as a boy....
images
View attachment 4433
View attachment 4434
images

images
images

Jim
I know most of those. Who's the old man with the dog?

I spent a lot of time in the Principles off in 3rd grade because I refused to square dance in class.
I hated everything about it.
So did I, but I never had to go to the principles office. One time a girl asked me to go to Bop dancing class, the teacher couldn't come and the sub started teaching square dance, I'd already had enough of that in grade school, too bad I didn't get to learn Bop, had a friend that could bop and it looked really cool.

Does anyone remember the TV series "Combat!"? When I was a kid, my Mom & Dad would let me sleep in the basement in the summer months in a makeshift living room I had set up in one corner. It had a rug, an old sofa, a black & white TV and an entertainment center made out of boards and bricks. While I was supposed to be sleeping I would sit up and watch 2 episode of Combat that aired back to back. I would have to keep the volume real low or my Dad would come down to check on me. I loved that show and would play Combat with my friends all the time wearing some old military gear my Dad bought for me at a gun show.

combat-complete-526ef.jpg

NiC-Saunders-tank.jpg

Does anyone remember the TV series "Combat!"? When I was a kid, my Mom & Dad would let me sleep in the basement in the summer months in a makeshift living room I had set up in one corner. It had a rug, an old sofa, a black & white TV and an entertainment center made out of boards and bricks. While I was supposed to be sleeping I would sit up and watch 2 episode of Combat that aired back to back. I would have to keep the volume real low or my Dad would come down to check on me. I loved that show and would play Combat with my friends all the time wearing some old military gear my Dad bought for me at a gun show.

View attachment 4476

View attachment 4477
Oh yeah! I was bout 10-11 years old when it started. Those guys were tough men!

We used to watch the Hannah Barbarrah(sp?) Show. An hour of cartoons and you never knew which ones were going to be on. Yoggi bear, Woody Wood Pecker, Captain Caveman..... I used to love Woody Wood Pecker but after all the holes we've had pecked in the siding at the new place I'd like to cook him for dinner!!!!!

Rat Patrol was my Fave. There was just something about driving fast and raking everything with a Hard Mounted Machine Gun, that appealed to me, when I was a kid. LOL
Twelve O Clock High was pretty Kool Too.

We used to watch the Hannah Barbarrah(sp?) Show. An hour of cartoons and you never knew which ones were going to be on. Yoggi bear, Woody Wood Pecker, Captain Caveman..... I used to love Woody Wood Pecker but after all the holes we've had pecked in the siding at the new place I'd like to cook him for dinner!!!!!

I never thought of woodpeckers damaging a wood house exterior when I opted to go that route. But then I didn't know there were woodpeckers galore here either! Ha!

We had one of these right up to 1978. We got it around 1972. I really did live in a time warp. Our number was 3 longs and a short. The phone rang in every house and you had to listen for the pattern. It was a real pain in the patootie getting any sleep. Sometimes they would go on the blink and ring in every house for hours on end until we learned how to disconnect the battery. After that, my brother would take it off the wall and bring it to our 2 room country school and we would use it to play chicken. All the kids would hold hands in a big circle with the first kid holding the wires while another kid cranked the bejesus out it. The first one to let go was, you guessed it, a chicken. Some times, one of the bigger kids could get all our hair to stand up at the same time. Good times.

There were twenty families on the line which our parents had to install themselves to even get a telephone. I was on the telephone pole peeling brigade after school. No privacy at all but if help was needed, no need to ring, just tell who ever was on there to spread the word. My first university application was rejected because I put Sob Lake 1C as my phone #; they thought it was a prank of some kind. After that, I had to use the telephone # of the high school in town 70 miles away.

I never saw all those toys you all did until after I left home in 1977. We did have steelies for marbles though, they were the wore out bearings they used for crushing molybdenite at the mine up north. They also made wicked sling shot ammo.
Other than the being used to call people, it was pretty good at calling catfish in creek. Crank it, they roll to top and you jump in and grab them. It worked best in a deep hole. Kinda illegal but we ate whatever daddy harvested.

Before interstates, the trip from Texas to Georgia was a 23 hour trip. We spent one night in motel. Daddy would drive all over town looking for .19 cent hamburgers. That was a real treat for us. Momma ground up bologna with sweet pickles, stirred in mayo, put in a quart jar and that was our sandwich spread on trip. We lived in Texas. Momma grew up in Georgia.

I never thought of woodpeckers damaging a wood house exterior when I opted to go that route. But then I didn't know there were woodpeckers galore here either! Ha!
I was visiting my MIL. Her neighbour knew that I had a heating business and was having a problem with her furnace. It was making a loud banging and while she had a couple of companies out to inspect her furnace none could fix the problem. I asked her if it mostly occurred in the mornings and evenings. She said yes and how did I know that. I told her that she probably had a male woodpecker advertising for a mate. The metal chimney cap made more noise and the sound would travel further.

Latest posts

Back