I don’t always drink beer but when I do, I prefer...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who’s thirsty my friends?

I don’t drink often but when I do, I want it to be referred by a friend.

What do you like to drink? 🤷
I will reply for @ThePrincess who drinks Yuenling Black and Tan when she does drink beer. I used to enjoy the lager until I retired and had to stick to a budget.

Ben

Yeah, I just like trying different flavors. Even an IPA that tasted terrible was still a good experience. Im not looking to drink to get drunk, just to taste what other people call good or of interesting flavor.

So far the best beer I had is a local blueberry inspired IPA, served in a glass with actual blueberrys in the beer. Amazing flavor I thought, it is still my favorite. I brought my supervisor and he hated it. Everyone’s different but nobody’s wrong.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks Ben, I’ll give that a try.
Since my post I found this I’ve never seen.
I’m giving it a shot.
image.jpg

Texas Brewed!

I don't drink very often, beer mostly only with Mexican food. I like DosEquis and Corona. But Shiner Back is pretty good to.

Disclaimer, I had to spend 2 months in Vienna Austria in 1999 for my job at that point. After trying the German beers there, I've never found one back in the states that compared.

When I drink beer I want it to taste like beer, not some fruity foofoo crap. I never understood adding fruit to alcohol drinks unless it's a cocktail and I don't drink those. If I wanted a fruit drink I would order juice.
A good hefeweizen will do nicely.
I tried IPA and hated it.
I have drunk more than my share of beer but these days I drink about 2 beers a year.
My son brought me 18 bottles of German beer back when he was flying around the world with the Air Force. It was without a doubt the best beer I have ever had.

Yeah, I just like trying different flavors. Even an IPA that tasted terrible was still a good experience. Im not looking to drink to get drunk, just to taste what other people call good or of interesting flavor.

So far the best beer I had is a local blueberry inspired IPA, served in a glass with actual blueberrys in the beer. Amazing flavor I thought, it is still my favorite. I brought my supervisor and he hated it. Everyone’s different but nobody’s wrong.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks Ben, ...
I’m giving it a shot.

Now you are talking!

I live in an old mining town where a "beer and a shot" is the traditional drink combo .

Not good for my blood pressure but I have out lived most of my peers and enjoy it after a hard days work.

Ben

Disclaimer, I had to spend 2 months in Vienna Austria in 1999 for my job at that point. After trying the German beers there, I've never found one back in the states that compared.

I understand that! Don't really drink anymore but I was always a beer man. Loved most US beers... until my first trip to Europe. After that, I'd rather have a bad european beer than the best US beer, even take canadian beers over a US beer. I was partial to Belgian beers though, my favorites. Some of the German and Danish beers were great also. I must add a note of warning... never buy a Turkish or an Egyptian beer, some of the worst I've ever tasted. One beer I remember in Turkey had a date system on the label, sort of like on a car battery. Except it didn't denote month and year of expiration. It was measured in weeks and days... awful stuff.

Last edited:
I understand that! Don't really drink anymore but I was always a beer man. Loved most US beers... until my first trip to Europe. After that, I'd rather have a bad european beer than the best US beer, even take canadian beers over a US beer. I was partial to Belgium beers though, my favorites. Some of the German and Danish beers were great also. I must add a note of warning... never buy a Turkish or an Egyptian beer, some of the worst I've ever tasted. One beer I remember in Turkey had a date system on the label, sort of like on a car battery. Except it didn't denote month and year of expiration. It was measured in weeks and days... awful stuff.
Two bad experiences while in the navy.

Italian beer and "Old Navy" class B cigarettes in Greece. " camel sheit" was what came to mind.

Ben

If it was just me, I’d fancy one of these:

1616990024305.jpeg

The wife isn’t a fan of the Chimay, so a Belgian White would be the typical beer we enjoy.

Wife and I like Michelob Amberbock, I like dark beers and this one is affordable, so many of the fancy beers are way too expensive except for very special occasions. German beers are usually very good due to the purity laws they have on making beer.

When I drink beer I want it to taste like beer, not some fruity foofoo crap. I never understood adding fruit to alcohol drinks unless it's a cocktail and I don't drink those. If I wanted a fruit drink I would order juice.
A good hefeweizen will do nicely.
I tried IPA and hated it.
I have drunk more than my share of beer but these days I drink about 2 beers a year.
My son brought me 18 bottles of German beer back when he was flying around the world with the Air Force. It was without a doubt the best beer I have ever had.

Yes! I agree.

Well, I had 1-1/2 of this sparkling strawberry drink. Even though I’ll never buy it again it was worth trying. That’s all the alcohol I have planned this week. I’m not a usual drinker. Today I helped a friend renovate a small somewhat run down home he bought. It was an upbeat vibe and it felt like a special occasion for me.

I do feel a little sick but I’m drinking water before bed and will be fine. @Weedygarden.

I agree with everyone here. Typical American beer is crap. Dos Equis was my first beer of choice referred by my uncle. Yuengling is my wife’s referral which led to 6 on my 21st birthday. For all of my twenties I would drink less than 12 beers a year. Alcohol just wasn’t appealing to me growing up for various reasons.

Recently, after my separation, I’ve been trying more beers. It’s a big business here. I’ve completed plumbing projects for breweries and distilleries in my neighborhood. Local brewery’s are a big attraction where I live and I just wonder why. That blueberry IPA...

I don’t usually drink sodas either, I just get water everywhere I go, that’s it. Any Fountain drink is garbage to me. Corn syrup.

I will find a real deal German Beer import. Just to try something new and taste the difference between good beer and not.

I’ll try to locate Chimay too. @Alaskajohn.

Thanks for the replies! They are duly noted.

I'm not sure I know where to start. In a prior life I only drank on days that had a "Y" in them. I never met a beer I didn't like, and could realistically say I spent half my life chasing loose women, and drinking cheap booze, and I wasted the other half. Some of our exploits were quite legendary.

Now I am much more subdued. When I do drink, Anheuser Bush products would be my choice for beer, and hard spirits are more limited to good scotch, good rye, and good Irish Whisky. It has never been a problem, but I do really enjoy hard liquor. I enjoy how it tastes. I enjoy learning how it is made, and I enjoy making good drinks. Maybe more than anything I enjoy it when people I make the drinks for enjoy them.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I know where to start. In a prior life I only drank on days that has a "Y" in them. I never met a beer I didn't like, and could realistically say I spent half my life chasing loose women, and drinking cheap booze, and I wasted the other half. Some of our exploits were quite legendary.

Now I am much more subdued. When I do drink, Anheuser Bush products would be my choice for beer, and hard spirits are more limited to good scotch, good rye, and good Irish Whisky. It has never been a problem, but I do really enjoy hard liquor. I enjoy how it tastes. I enjoy learning how it is made, and I enjoy making good drinks. Maybe more than anything I enjoy it when people I make the drinks for enjoy them.
So interesting. We never know about people we meet online. You have always seemed to be a gentleman. Well, maybe you've always been a gentleman, just a wild one for a while. I think some of us take take more time to mature, like fine wine!

I'm not sure I know where to start. In a prior life I only drank on days that has a "Y" in them. I never met a beer I didn't like, and could realistically say I spent half my life chasing loose women, and drinking cheap booze, and I wasted the other half. Some of our exploits were quite legendary.

LOL, I can relate.

About the only time I have a beer is when I'm outside grilling. Sometimes with friends in a social situation.

I hate the IPA's, preferring a beer that actually tastes good. I like my beer very cold, just above freezing. I often times pull one out of the fridge and put it in the freezer for 15 minutes before opening it.

Stella Artois (my default - very light and drinkable). Sapporo. DosEquis. Corona. All pretty basic, nothing flashy here. Sapporo would be the most distinct of my group, but even then, it's not that distinct.

I have never liked Budweiser. I used to think Coors was OK, but not so much any more.

On my trip down to Austin last week, I visited a local brewery/outdoor pub with some friends and had one of their lagers (?) and one of their lighter ales. The lager was pretty strong, 9%. The ale was about 5.5%. Both were excellent. But they were local fare, and nobody here would recognize their names (which I forgot anyway).

Latest posts

Back