I don’t always drink beer but when I do, I prefer...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this thread started I've been trying to remember a beer from Holland I used to like. I finally found it, Oranjeboom Lager. Been brewed since 1671. 30 years ago it was great beer, even 20 years ago it was great. Now? I have my doubts. It's now been licensed to other countries, repackaged, re-branded etc etc. The alcohol content has been changed to match US laws. Changing the water and the alcohol content guts a beer of what makes it unique.

Holland has some great beers, most are light ales or lagers. The best I had there where local to the village or town I was in at the time, not for sale outside the country.

Never cared much for Heineken even though I've been to the brewery in Amsterdam. Took a paddle boat down a canal from my hotel. The brewery was fun and the beer was free, tasted pretty good that day. Actually been to the brewery twice, the first time the tasting room was closed. :(

Heinikin sm.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure I know where to start. In a prior life I only drank on days that has a "Y" in them. I never met a beer I didn't like, and could realistically say I spent half my life chasing loose women, and drinking cheap booze, and I wasted the other half. Some of our exploits were quite legendary.

Now I am much more subdued. When I do drink, Anheuser Bush products would be my choice for beer, and hard spirits are more limited to good scotch, good rye, and good Irish Whisky. It has never been a problem, but I do really enjoy hard liquor. I enjoy how it tastes. I enjoy learning how it is made, and I enjoy making good drinks. Maybe more than anything I enjoy it when people I make the drinks for enjoy them.
Bravo, Sir.

1. Guinness, all the way. :cool: Also good with a 1.5 oz shot glass with 50/50 Jamesons + Baileys dropped in..
:ghostly:

2. Stella, Mmm..
3. Leinenkugel 'Summer Shandy'.. Tastes like lemon candy ;) Blue Moon is also purdy good on tap..
4. some of the Sam Adams 'wheat' (Summer / Cherry, etc) collections are also good..
5. Among the 'lighter' ones, sure - Corona (with a Lemon, not Lime, snore.. :cool: is great, so is 'Estrella Jalisco' de Mejico, and Pilsener and/or Suprema from El Salvador..
6. and if 'budget is Really tight', good ol' Rolling Rock and/or Red Stripe never seem to 'disapint'. (get it? ;)

jd

Last edited:
1. Guinness, all the way. :cool: Also good with a 1.5 oz shot glass with 50/50 Jamesons + Baileys dropped in..
:ghostly:

2. Stella, Mmm..
3. Leinenkugel 'Summer Shandy'.. Tastes like lemon candy ;) Blue Moon is also purdy good
4. some of the Sam Adams 'wheat' (summer / cherry, etc) collections are also good..
5. Among the 'lighter' ones, sure - Corona (with a Lemon, not Lime :cool: is great, so is 'Estrella Jalisco' de Mejico, and Pilsener and/or Suprema from El Salvador..
6. and if 'budget is Really tight', good ol' Rolling Rock and/or Red Stripe never seem to 'disappint'. (get it? ;)

jd
I visited a comedy club and ordered a Guinness tall boy can & drinking it I heard and felt something inside. It was a ping pong ball inside my can beer! I thought, “Is this a joke? LOL!”

Guinness. Right on.
It was a good beer.
Only time I remember drinking it.
Spot on 😄

Since this thread started I've been trying to remember a beer from Holland I used to like. I finally found it, Oranjeboom Lager

Good Stuff!! :clapping: I made several trips to the Netherlands. That was the local brew in Akersloot, and Petten.

There used to be a place in New Haven, CT called Number 1 Broadway. It sat across the street from the Yale campus. They had over 100 beers on tap. One from South Africa was black and so thick they open the tap and then take other orders while they wait for it to fill the glass. We only went there once because it was full of Yaleies and expensive.

Due to health reasons, I only drink low carb beer, and I don't drink it often. I do enjoy a cold beer during a hot shower after a long day of work though, and Corona Premier has become my go-to. I bought a six pack of it last fall and I still have two left. That should tell you how often I drink...

If I were to drink a heavier beer, by far the best I've ever had - and I mean head and shoulders, no contest, blows everything else away, better than the rest - is Spotted Cow from New Glarus brewery in Wisconsin. They only sell in in Wisconsin, but if you ever go there, you've got to try it. I don't even know what type of beer it is, but it's amazing. Makes you realize how awful all those Millennial hipster IPAs really are...

When I drink a beer its a Linenkugel Sunset Wheat

I like unfiltered beer

It has to be really hot outside for me to sit and have a beer. Otherwise its water for me

Absolutely hate stout beers. And what the name brands pull off as "beer" is just colored water ( I could say something else but won't but it does look like it if ya know what I mean). Nasty stuff

Absolutely hate stout beers. And what the name brands pull off as "beer" is just colored water ( I could say something else but won't but it does look like it if ya know what I mean). Nasty stuff

I think the polite version of the analogy is "Making love in a canoe". Is that the one, WV?

I think the polite version of the analogy is "Making love in a canoe". Is that the one, WV?
When my buddy was stationed in Germany he went to a bar and asked for an American beer. When they said they didn't have any, he said just bring me the closest thing to American beer you've got. The barkeeper gave him a glass of water...😂

Since this thread started I've been trying to remember a beer from Holland I used to like.
Completely off topic. I had a gg grandmother who was born in Limburg. I was always confused about Holland versus The Netherlands.

https://www.holland.com/global/tour...etween,provinces together are the Netherlands.
"What is the difference between Holland and the Netherlands? The Netherlands consists of 12 provinces but many people use “Holland” when talking about the Netherlands.

• The two provinces of Noord- and Zuid-Holland together are Holland.
  • The 12 provinces together are the Netherlands."
Now, I am not saying the beer did not come from Holland. It is likely that it did, but I found this information interesting and after teaching geography for so many years, and helping children learn about countries of the world, that I just recently found this out.

Now you are talking!

I live in an old mining town where a "beer and a shot" is the traditional drink combo .

Not good for my blood pressure but I have out lived most of my peers and enjoy it after a hard days work.

Ben
Oh boy does that ever bring back memories, probably the drunkest I've ever been was when I was visiting my brother-in-law just north of Denver, large mug of beer with a shot glass of whisky dropped into it, how I got home safely is a wonder, I fell asleep in a recliner chair and when my wife came home, she knew I had been drinking and was very PO'd, I never did that again, I hate being that out of control and thinking back I'm just thankful I wasn't stopped by the police. I seldom drink beer or wine while away from home, unless it's with a meal, any more the cost of drinking and driving is just not worth the pleasure of having a drink.

Oh boy does that ever bring back memories, probably the drunkest I've ever been was when I was visiting my brother-in-law just north of Denver, large mug of beer with a shot glass of whisky dropped into it, how I got home safely is a wonder, I fell asleep in a recliner chair and when my wife came home, she knew I had been drinking and was very PO'd, I never did that again, I hate being that out of control and thinking back I'm just thankful I wasn't stopped by the police. I seldom drink beer or wine while away from home, unless it's with a meal, any more the cost of drinking and driving is just not worth the pleasure of having a drink.
Ah, the Boilermaker... guaranteed to cure what ails you, or at least make you forget about it.

“The times, they are a changing.”

I’ve lived here for 1-1/2 years & this bar is the closest to my porch.

92A229C1-A25D-4626-BD2E-DA07D9451EBE.jpeg

It tends to get loud at night with people having a good time drinking together, which I don’t mind. It gets interesting sometimes.

I’m not much of a drinker so I don’t bother visiting the local bars. When I finally did check this place out for the first time the other week, I was amazed at how it works. You are your own bar tender 😲

FB6EBE87-325D-41B7-9EC6-BD35DB310B91.jpeg

They sync your debit card to a magnetic wrist band upon entry. Each screen displays two types of draft beer, wine or hard cider. You grab a clean glass from a shelf and pick a screen. The prices are displayed per ounce. You scan the wrist band and your name is shown. When you pull the handle, your purchased dollar amount rises like a gas pump. It also shows your current balance for the day, thus far. When your finished for the day, you turn in your wrist band and your total is then withdrawn from your account. Now I see why this place is so popular! A corn hole set is there for enjoyment as well.

CDE7A893-7E9C-43F6-9ABF-9AFF916DBD71.jpeg

They have an upstairs too.

Latest posts

Back