I don't have a source of raw milk, but a while back I tried to make cheese

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotMeantForTheCity

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
using pasteurized-homogenized milk from the grocery store. I added some buttermilk to put back the bacteria that had been taken out by the pasteurization, and I added calcium-chloride to compensate for the homogenization. But, no matter what I did I could not get enough curd to form to make any cheese.

But, I just used some milk that is near its date to start the process of making mozzarella. I warmed the milk and then added distilled vinegar. I got more curd out of a half-gallon of whole milk than I was able to get out of a gallon by using rennet. I wonder if I could put this curd through the cheddaring process?

using pasteurized-homogenized milk from the grocery store. I added some buttermilk to put back the bacteria that had been taken out by the pasteurization, and I added calcium-chloride to compensate for the homogenization. But, no matter what I did I could not get enough curd to form to make any cheese.

But, I just used some milk that is near its date to start the process of making mozzarella. I warmed the milk and then added distilled vinegar. I got more curd out of a half-gallon of whole milk than I was able to get out of a gallon by using rennet. I wonder if I could put this curd through the cheddaring process?
No idea, but good luck. I have only made cheese from raw milk from my Jersey cow. Have no idea on how a commercial milk would do, assuming that is what you are trying to use?

Latest posts

Back