I don't know what they are called, but has anyone here

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotMeantForTheCity

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
ever used a computer that recognizes handwriting? I am a volunteer tutor, and I need a way to do algebra and geometry problems so I can make worksheets without having to make my students suffer my handwriting. MS Word has limited ability to show anything mathematical, so I need something that will convert my handwriting to typed text. Is there anything on the market that will do this?

I don't know anything that can read my writing, but check out https://www.math-aids.com/Geometry/
They have algebra worksheets too, I used them a fair bit when I did tutoring.

Libre office has a Mathematics templet, never really used it but it is an option: Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft
I've used the website for arithmetic for some of my grade school students.

A big problem this day and age is that nobody has textbooks anymore. Everything is online and it's mostly proprietary so a tutor can only see what the student has access to at the moment. So I can't review what the student has already had or prepare for whatever is coming up.

I'll check out Libre Office.

My computer came with a voice to writing program. I've never been interested in it so I can't tell you how well it works, or even if it would be effective for math.

What version of Word do you have? I have Office16 and it has Ink Equation which does what you're asking. (shown in snip below). There are limitations as you can't draw geometric figures and there is a learning curve as to manipulating the equations in your document. I find the formatting of the inserted equations frustrating with spacing, margins, and alignment. I also find having a touch screen makes this tool easier to use but it can be utilized with a touchpad or mouse, too. Beware though, messy handwriting can be misread.

1676631500169.png

You mention not having access to textbooks, this resource may be helpful, Free Easy Access Student Edition . It is the free access material that is available from Big Ideas Math. Once you select a program, you can access online versions on student texts from kindergarten through high school as well as a limited number of premade worksheets. (example snips below). No, I'm not a salesman. This is the program we use at the school I teach at.

1676633170822.png
1676633104219.png

Latest posts

Back