I fear I may have done something stupid

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK Joseph

Super Friend
Neighbor
Which is really par for the course with me. I love to learn the hard way, get thrown in the fire, fed to the wolves, whatever you call it, that’s how I learn best. I didn’t know a thing about chickens 3 years ago, I now have 23.

I have never raised meat birds either. I bought 20 of them from a friend a couple years ago but they were finished and I just had to butcher them.

I just bought 60 Red Ryder broiler chicks, due in late May and I’m pretty sure I’m in over my head 🤪 which is fine, I live for a good challenge!

I need plans y’all, Hep me! There is no way I am going to keep 60 birds stationary. I plan on moving them every day for 3 months. Problem, I’ve never built a tractor before, so I’m trying to think of something heavy duty enough to support 30 birds,no way 60 is fitting into one, not sure 30 will either.

I was thinking maybe a couple of shelter logic tents, could just weld a couple of handles and a couple of wheel mounts and that’s that. Quite an investment but they should last a good while.

I can’t really free range them on my one acre as I’m sure they will get loose and I have neighborhood dogs in the yard regularly. I don’t have one myself in order to keep them out.

I’m planting a new sweet clover cover crop in the yard, I figure I will move them, wait a couple weeks and then plant more seed. If I move them everyday they won’t have time to kill everything completely but they will turn it up quite well and fertilize it. I just wonder if it will be too hot to plant on even after two weeks.

Anyone have experience with raising a good quantity of meat birds in a tractor?

I raise about 30 broilers a year in just a simple a-frame style tractor it dont take much I run two tractors 15 in each and they are 7x4ft with 4ft fully covered from the weather. I move mine every morning and every evening that seems to help with them killing out one spot I’ve never planted like you are talking about but I’m on a lil bigger peice of property and don’t have too. But there’s a million different ways to build a chicken tractor Sorry I don’t have any more advice then that for ya

Last edited:
A tractor just has to provide some kind of protection and easy for you to move. Joel Salatin (I think that's his name) has a really easy one that alot of people use. Basically just a square of whatever dimensions with a handle of some sort for you to pull to a new spot. On one end has walls/roof and the other is open, covered with poultry wire and the frame is maybe 2x2's? to keep it lightweight. Though I think most people use theirs for Cornish meaties.

I have used an old truck canopy with a large plastic tub laid on it's side and a hole cut on one side of the lid for them to go in & out of. It's kinda heavy and inconvenient for me to move, but it can be done.

I raise about 30 broilers a year in just a simple a-frame style tractor it dont take much I run two tractors 15 in each and they are 7x4ft with 4ft fully covered from the weather. I move mine every morning and every evening that seems to help with them killing out one spot I’ve never planted like you are talking about but I’m on a lil bigger peice of property and don’t have too. But there’s a million different ways to build a chicken tractor Sorry I don’t have any more advice then that for ya
That’s everything I was looking for Bluetick, thank you!

A tractor just has to provide some kind of protection and easy for you to move. Joel Salatin (I think that's his name) has a really easy one that alot of people use. Basically just a square of whatever dimensions with a handle of some sort for you to pull to a new spot. On one end has walls/roof and the other is open, covered with poultry wire and the frame is maybe 2x2's? to keep it lightweight. Though I think most people use theirs for Cornish meaties.

I have used an old truck canopy with a large plastic tub laid on it's side and a hole cut on one side of the lid for them to go in & out of. It's kinda heavy and inconvenient for me to move, but it can be done.
Thank you, I will look him up! I was looking for someone who had some building plans for one. The way I frame, I’m certain I would’ve had a tractor that made people scratch their head when they saw it hahaha. I never plan anything out, I just build. With a tractor, supporting 30 5-7lb birds, I may want to make sure I’m building something with at least a little engineering to it. 😁

We just got 15 yesterday ( cornish cross). They are in large boxes in a building with heat lamp until it warms up or they are old enough to go in the tractor. We usually don't put more than 15 in it. I think you will need to do something else with 60. Maybe get electric chicken fencing and put a sort of shelter up? One thing about meat birds, they don't move once they get bigger. They just sit and eat so you need to put a sort of trough there for them so they can all sit and eat. And make sure the water is not too far away.
Also they will eat themselves to death. I would take the food away at night and only put it out during the day.
This is all info for cornish cross, maybe yours are different?

they only take about 2 month to be full grown to where you need to butcher them. So I would only get 10-15 at a time and then get 15 more after about a month and a half ( and start them indoors with heat lamp)

Thank you, I will look him up! I was looking for someone who had some building plans for one. The way I frame, I’m certain I would’ve had a tractor that made people scratch their head when they saw it hahaha. I never plan anything out, I just build. With a tractor, supporting 30 5-7lb birds, I may want to make sure I’m building something with at least a little engineering to it. 😁

Your building skills sounds about like mine, but as long as it actually works as intended you're ahead of me by a long shot.

Once upon a time I tried to make an A frame with 2x2's and poultry wire. The top 2x2 that formed the peak, was a bit longer than those on the bottom to use as my handles for moving it. It didn't last long, because I'm not an engineer or carpenter, but if done right, or even remotely it would work just fine. Good luck on your project

Here is my first tractor. Currently I use it as a side pen for my main chicken pen (if I have a few birds I need to separate for some reason).

I made it from chainlink fence panels 6x10 with a door. I used 4 pressure treated 2x4's, 12ft long as skids and 2, 10ft long as cross bracing. I used a tarp for a roof.

I mounted a steel aircraft cable on one end. I'd tow it with a tractor or a horse.

This might give you some ideas.

tractor  (2).jpg

Here is my first tractor. Currently I use it as a side pen for my main chicken pen (if I have a few birds I need to separate for some reason).

I made it from chainlink fence panels 6x10 with a door. I used 4 pressure treated 2x4's, 12ft long as skids and 2, 10ft long as cross bracing. I used a tarp for a roof.

I mounted a steel aircraft cable on one end. I'd tow it with a tractor or a horse.

This might give you some ideas.

View attachment 84298
Brilliant! Thanks for the inspiration! I was mulling over something similar.

We just got 15 yesterday ( cornish cross). They are in large boxes in a building with heat lamp until it warms up or they are old enough to go in the tractor. We usually don't put more than 15 in it. I think you will need to do something else with 60. Maybe get electric chicken fencing and put a sort of shelter up? One thing about meat birds, they don't move once they get bigger. They just sit and eat so you need to put a sort of trough there for them so they can all sit and eat. And make sure the water is not too far away.
Also they will eat themselves to death. I would take the food away at night and only put it out during the day.

they only take about 2 month to be full grown to where you need to butcher them. So I would only get 10-15 at a time and then get 15 more after about a month and a half ( and start them indoors with heat lamp)
Thank you Sonya!
Some people choose Red Ryders because they will actually lay eggs and can be good pets, other than that they are quite similar, aside from color. They also take 12 weeks to fully mature. I have had them, just not in this quantity. I think you are right about them being more stationary, I think they will go back and forth to be honest, having that many in one spot for too long will probably get a bit smelly!

Well I was a welder for 17 years so I know how to build, it’s just my technique that leaves a bit to be desired 😂

Thank you Sonya!
Some people choose Red Ryders because they will actually lay eggs and can be good pets, other than that they are quite similar, aside from color. They also take 12 weeks to fully mature. I have had them, just not in this quantity. I think you are right about them being more stationary, I think they will go back and forth to be honest, having that many in one spot for too long will probably get a bit smelly!

I haven't had any of those, not sure I have seen any for sale anywhere. But we used to try and eat the random roosters we would get with chicks and they never tasted good. Putting them in the pressure cooker and making curry out of them was the only way they were even tolerable. So we only buy pullets and meat birds now. LOL chickens are not pets to me. The dogs are and I do have my favorite goats, but I just can't find any particular attachment to the chickens, which is probably a good thing since we butcher them ( the goats go to the meat processor)

I figured it'd a pain to move my tractor with chickens inside. It was, chickens aren't very bright. I only moved mine every couple of days, maybe 3. I'd always let the chickens out for an hour, more if I had time. I'd move it while they were out.

At the end of the day... there is a reason most folks build a stationary pen of some type. A chicken tractor gets to be a pain to deal with, seems I didn't have enough time some days.

In my case I had room for a pen. I built a tractor because it was temporary in nature. I hadn't had chickens since I was a kid. That summer was a trial run. The eggs were so much better than store bought I built a pen the next spring.

Post some pics when you get your tractor built. :)

Last edited:
I've been thinking of getting some chickens but will need some place to keep them.

I have three large grain bins on the farm. We built them in the early 1970s and they only got used once -- my father and oldest brother skimped on the cement (we mixed it ourselves in an old cement mixer we used to have) and so it cracked badly and let in water and bugs.

I'm tempted to fill them full of dirt up to ground level. I figure I could use one for chickens, one for capons, and one for geese.

There should be plenty of air inside since they are quite tall, but since CO2 is heavier than air, I would drill holes to let the CO2 out.

With the doors closed, it would be completely dark inside. Do I need any light for them to feel more comfortable?

With three large grain bins in a straight line, each 15 feet in diameter and 40 feet between each pair, I would just need a fence for the daytime. Where they are located, there is plenty of room to build a good sized paddock around them.

I don't know if I should have three smaller paddocks or let them all out into a large paddock together. If together, the paddock could easily be up to about 1.6 acres without an issue.

I could also build the paddock bigger -- from 5.5 acres up to 9 acres -- and put the garden in the middle with a fence around the garden so as to have a basic chicken moat.

Or just let them out to roam around in the daytime.

Some turkeys would be nice, too.

I'd like some pheasants and release them before hunting season, but I suspect that's a fools errand. My younger brother talked about doing that that with someone about 50 miles away who has raised a lot of pheasants. When he releases them he bands them. It turns out that in spite of all the pheasants he raises, it is rare, if ever, that any hunters on his farm ever get one of the ones with the band.

I'd like some pheasants and release them before hunting season, but I suspect that's a fools errand. My younger brother talked about doing that that with someone about 50 miles away who has raised a lot of pheasants. When he releases them he bands them. It turns out that in spite of all the pheasants he raises, it is rare, if ever, that any hunters on his farm ever get one of the ones with the band.
I know two different families in South Dakota who have raised pheasants. One family had a hunting business and they do a release when they have hunters out. From what I have read, getting pheasant eggs to hatch is not easy and takes special work. It has been a few years since I researched that, so I don't remember the details. I do know there are videos out there about it. I have also heard of places who sell pheasant chicks.

I've been thinking of getting some chickens but will need some place to keep them.

I have three large grain bins on the farm. We built them in the early 1970s and they only got used once -- my father and oldest brother skimped on the cement (we mixed it ourselves in an old cement mixer we used to have) and so it cracked badly and let in water and bugs.

I'm tempted to fill them full of dirt up to ground level. I figure I could use one for chickens, one for capons, and one for geese.

There should be plenty of air inside since they are quite tall, but since CO2 is heavier than air, I would drill holes to let the CO2 out.

With the doors closed, it would be completely dark inside. Do I need any light for them to feel more comfortable?

With three large grain bins in a straight line, each 15 feet in diameter and 40 feet between each pair, I would just need a fence for the daytime. Where they are located, there is plenty of room to build a good sized paddock around them.

I don't know if I should have three smaller paddocks or let them all out into a large paddock together. If together, the paddock could easily be up to about 1.6 acres without an issue.

I could also build the paddock bigger -- from 5.5 acres up to 9 acres -- and put the garden in the middle with a fence around the garden so as to have a basic chicken moat.

Or just let them out to roam around in the daytime.

Some turkeys would be nice, too.

A window for some light would be nice, though I don't know about necessary as long as they get outside time. Try letting all the birds out together and see how it goes. If there is fighting or other problems, then fence it off.

If you haven't raised birds before, I'd suggest to start out small

So how did the summer go for the chicken ranchers?
I am interested in the chicken tractors for next summer but this last summer my flock of 13 did well in our half acre of deer fenced area with some garden. I let them out during the day and closed them up in a small coop made out of a eight foot camper topper on top of four foot walls.
I was going to build a more substantial chicken house for the winter but with roosts and a good amount of straw on the ground they seem happy in the makeshift coop. Still laying at five degrees and snowing and blowing. A small area with some sturdy birds and a good layer of compost on the floor seems to keep the temp up a bit. Here in montana they sell chicks with a good cold resistance so I got a mix of breeds this spring and they all seem to have a lot of feathers and I even have some of the ones with feathers on their feet.

No more letting the compost barrel freeze all winter, now the birds do the composting and call it dinner.

Latest posts

Back