I had a thought today - younger generation have a clue?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've read how my generation could pass secret messages by writing in cursive and the now generation would be unable to read it. Or a vehicle that has a manual transmission is safe from carjacking.

Last weekend I was using a power router and the instructions said to route in a clock-wise direction. Made me wonder how many of today's cellphone generation know what clock-wise or counter clock-wise means?

I've read how my generation could pass secret messages by writing in cursive and the now generation would be unable to read it. Or a vehicle that has a manual transmission is safe from carjacking.

Last weekend I was using a power router and the instructions said to route in a clock-wise direction. Made me wonder how many of today's cellphone generation know what clock-wise or counter clock-wise means?

They would probably have to google it. But if I need help with tech stuff I can always ask the 6 yr old great grand for help.

We have to help our own children and family be smarter than the average bear.

The piece about not teaching and learning cursive may be true in some places, but that is not all true. I know that most schools are using cursive. I taught cursive to my students and so did my colleagues.It was a standard expectation. When they came to me in first grade, I worked with them to make sure they used print correctly. Letters such as "p" and other letters that hung below the line needed some prompting for some children. Often they would use a capitol "P" for everyone they wrote. I wouldn't accept work until the print letters were written correctly. It doesn't take long for children to not want to re-do something. A couple times and they get it. It is also a matter of learning and understanding about capitol letters. Print in shape, mostly by Christmas, and then we worked on cursive. We would work on them together and I would have children circle their best examples of writing those letters.

Manual transmission? Most women I know have never learned. If you lived or were around a farm at all as a kid, you had to know how to drive a manual transmission. It was one of my daughter's goals as a young adult, to learn to drive a manual transmission and she has a car that was her dad's as a once in a while drive that has a manual transmission. I think the desire for young people is exposure. Daughter and her dad would take road trips in cars with manual transmissions. He liked to drive a certain type of sports cars, and she developed a love of them from him.

Clockwise? We had analog clocks in classrooms, no digital. Because the bathroom was shared and way down the hall, we had a sign out sheet so we knew who was gone and how long in case we had to send a search party. Children had to know how to tell time to check out. We also had work for learning clockwork, on analog clocks. In the beginning, we had students come to school with a digital watch so they wouldn't have to think about the analog, parent provided of course. Do I know that clockwork is probably not taught in common crap? And there are probably many teachers now who are overwhelmed with teaching useless crap, instead of something useful. Yes, but telling time it is a life skill.

Is Common Core still being used in schools? I believe it is meant to dumb down America.

The piece about not teaching and learning cursive may be true in some places, but that is not all true. I know that most schools are using cursive. I taught cursive to my students and so did my colleagues.It was a standard expectation.
The public schools in New Mexico quit teaching cursive and spelling about 7 years ago.

My brother bought his son a truck with a stick. The kid went ballistic. My brother told him to get a job and buy whatever he wanted.

Lucky Kid, I had to learn on a tractor in a hot summer field, no AC or radio, not even AM tunes.
I was ten, had a job making a dollar a day, week days, farm work on Saturdays.

I learned to drive a 3 on the tree in a 56 Ford pickup. I would stand the floor in front of Grandpa, he worked the pedals and I shifted and steered. I was around 5 at the time. As I got older I sat on his lap, then one day he got in on the passenger side and I was in full control. I was around 11 then and could hardly reach the pedals. Got stopped by the town police when I was 13 because I was driving alone. Grandpa didn't feel up to going to the store so he sent me. Cop told me to not drive in town and sent me home. Different and simpler world back then. I miss it at times.

I took my drivers test at 16 in a one ton truck that had been converted into a cord wood truck. I delivered a load of cord wood to the rail yard before my test.

The funny part... the state trooper who gave me my test had pulled me over 3 times in the previous 4 years... During the test he had me turn left at a 4 way stop. On the side street there were 3 parallel parking spots, a car in the last one. He said "I want you to park in the 2nd space". So, I turned on my blinker, turned left, drove through the first parking spot and stopped in the second one.

He smiled and said, "That's what I would have done". :D

We have to help our own children and family be smarter than the average bear.

Is Common Core still being used in schools? I believe it is meant to dumb down America.

Pol 025.jpg

Dimmer switch on the floor.

Daughter #1 best friend was given her first car from her Grandmother. My Daughter mentioned several times how other Driver's would flash their headlights at them to dim the headlights and the car didn't have a dimmer switch. Then one night the BF stomped her foot on the car's floor in frustration...and the head lights dimmed!

Last edited:
Dimmer switch on the floor.

Daughter #1 best friend was a given her first car from her Grandmother. My Daughter mentioned several times how other Driver's would flash their headlights at them to dim the headlights and the car didn't have a dimmer switch. Then one night the BF stomped her foot on the car's floor in frustration...and the head lights dimmed!

Lazy, I had to do the same thing with dimmer switch in floor of my bus Shorty [ I miss that bus so much, tear up everytime I see a skoolie bus ].
I'd stomp on the floor button and it worked everytime.

I didn't drive stick until I'd been married for a couple of years. Hubby taught me on the hills of Lynchburg VA. I hated stopping going up hill.

Fast forwards, my girls both learned to drive a stick as when I bought my first car I bought the most practical, good gas mileage car I could get. The automatic was $600 more than the stick. I wish I still had one of those little cars. 1989 Ford Festiva. We put 157,000 miles on it. I could get more stuff packed in that car than anyone could believe. And the front seats were comfortable for driving.

My 2015 Ford F150 has hydraulic powered running boards. They come out when you open the door and retract when you close it.

Showoff! I need those on my old van. It is getting harder to jump out from my seat. :thumbs::cool:

I didn't drive stick until I'd been married for a couple of years. Hubby taught me on the hills of Lynchburg VA. I hated stopping going up hill.

Fast forwards, my girls both learned to drive a stick as when I bought my first car I bought the most practical, good gas mileage car I could get. The automatic was $600 more than the stick. I wish I still had one of those little cars. 1989 Ford Festiva. We put 157,000 miles on it. I could get more stuff packed in that car than anyone could believe. And the front seats were comfortable for driving.

Most older autos we liked had sticks on the column or even better in floor. Mamas car had auto trans I learned to drive in though. I was driving down to back of property when I was 11. My first time on highway we snunk out an 'borrowed' mamas 1963 Impala Fastback. We got pulled over and went to juvinile both age 13. Got a real good beating from tree limb [ one of those "I'm going to beat the hell out of you " kinds ] from mama when she got me home,I deserved it.

Latest posts

Back