I have a bunch of Prepping information.........what to do with it....???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
This should probably be in a how-to book, but that is not going to happen. Maybe a part of someone's Prepping book. Looking for ideas for what to do with this information. Was at one point thinking some internet thing like a blog, or something. But they have not durability, they just get flushed, at the whim of the host. Anyone have any ideas, other then a book or internet Blog thing........???

I know blogs that are 20 years old and still out there. Blogger and Word Press have lots of usage. They could go away tomorrow, but for now, are heavily used, Word Press more so for professional web sites. People who blog have then turned their blog posts into books. Blogging could be a way of writing out the parts and getting each piece into a publishable piece, that can then be added to the bigger project. I am doing this with biographical pieces for ancestors and relatives. I create a post for each person, add the relevant images that I have in chronological order, tie them together with what else I might know about them and post it. If and when I find additional images, I go into the post about them and edit it.

BTW, there are many preparedness blogs out there. I have found lots of good information on them. Like other aspects of preparedness, one piece at a time and then before you know it, you have shared all that you have to share.

I know blogs that are 20 years old and still out there. Blogger and Word Press have lots of usage. They could go away tomorrow, but for now, are heavily used, Word Press more so for professional web sites. People who blog have then turned their blog posts into books. Blogging could be a way of writing out the parts and getting each piece into a publishable piece, that can then be added to the bigger project. I am doing this with biographical pieces for ancestors and relatives. I create a post for each person, add the relevant images that I have in chronological order, tie them together with what else I might know about them and post it. If and when I find additional images, I go into the post about them and edit it.

BTW, there are many preparedness blogs out there. I have found lots of good information on them. Like other aspects of preparedness, one piece at a time and then before you know it, you have shared all that you have to share.

Good advise.........thanks.
My issue with the hosts of Blogs is, if you post or say something, that they don't like, or many of there readers don't like, they can just close your blog down. They just did it to "Western Rifle Shooters" Blog. Some Bloggers are purchasing a portion of a host server, to have better control. But what you suggest could work. Especially if somehow chapters could be posted on Amazon.com for readership.

Thanks,

With my own information - pieces I've collected, tidbits of info. and various notes and morsels, I keep one 3-ring binder labeled Flora, and one Fauna, then one smaller one for misc. which includes info. on ram-pumps, windmills, and other things that might have to do with construction or machinery of some sort. Are you wanting to share the info. or have it organized for self-use?

With my own information - pieces I've collected, tidbits of info. and various notes and morsels, I keep one 3-ring binder labeled Flora, and one Fauna, then one smaller one for misc. which includes info. on ram-pumps, windmills, and other things that might have to do with construction or machinery of some sort. Are you wanting to share the info. or have it organized for self-use?

LadyL thats what I did too. For chickens, solar and hydroponics.Now we don't have to refer to it but its good to know we have it.Well except for solar we still can'r decide how to put up or where. We skiimped on the wire so its no long enough. And whe nwe think to buy more somerhing else takes the money.

I have collected more information on more topics than a person could read in several years. I have it all stored on USB thumb drives but like Sourdough I have no way to share it. I did mail a drive to Angie but I'm not sure what if anything happened to that. I know she's pretty busy so it probably got pushed to the bottom of her to do list.
If you come up with a way to share let me know and I will contribute to your library.

Last edited:
I guess since y'all are offering (sorta) I might ask~ does anyone have any info on home hydro-power. I believe it only takes a small stream to power a modest home but can only seem to find info on large damns and the controversy they create :-/ So this thread doesn't waiver off topic, feel free to PM me if you so desire.

I guess since y'all are offering (sorta) I might ask~ does anyone have any info on home hydro-power. I believe it only takes a small stream to power a modest home but can only seem to find info on large damns and the controversy they create :-/ So this thread doesn't waiver off topic, feel free to PM me if you so desire.

LadyL most don't live around enough water if I understand what your asking. But I know nothign about it so maybe start a tread asking?

Are you wanting to share the info. or have it organized for self-use?

What I want to do is share it, actually give it away........but more along the lines of having it stored or preserved for a resource of some unknown value in a possible future application.

I would say the priority is that it not vanish, which it surely could. I am nearing the end of my life, not to sound dramatic, but when you get near the end, you need to start wrapping things up.

I am in my mid seventies, and have been studying, researching, and actually building hundreds of caches, and caching supplies for about 65 years. Yes.......I started young. I now have many hundreds of photographs of caches being built, and many years later disassembled. Step by step, as each layer is removed. And step by step constructing caches for long term preservation of contents, including firearms.

But this is not a subject that has much degree of interest, no one, or very few are going to pay $23.95 for a 300 page book about lessons learned about caching supplies. Hell.......most people think caching is some part of the hard drive storage in their computer or smart phone.

However, it seems a waste for this information to just vanish. I am rapidly going blind, and would like to preserve this, on the remote chance it could be of use to someone in the future. Yes, I confess it is not likely anyone will have a practical use in the future, because few live the lifestyle that could utilize the knowledge.

Still seems sad to just flush the learning and photographs down the outhouse hole.

What I want to do is share it, actually give it away........but more along the lines of having it stored or preserved for a resource of some unknown value in a possible future application.

I would say the priority is that it not vanish, which it surely could. I am nearing the end of my life, not to sound dramatic, but when you get near the end, you need to start wrapping things up.

I am in my mid seventies, and have been studying, researching, and actually building hundreds of caches, and caching supplies for about 65 years. Yes.......I started young. I now have many hundreds of photographs of caches being built, and many years later disassembled. Step by step, as each layer is removed. And step by step constructing caches for long term preservation of contents, including firearms.

But this is not a subject that has much degree of interest, no one, or very few are going to pay $23.95 for a 300 page book about lessons learned about caching supplies. Hell.......most people think caching is some part of the hard drive storage in their computer or smart phone.

However, it seems a waste for this information to just vanish. I am rapidly going blind, and would like to preserve this, on the remote chance it could be of use to someone in the future. Yes, I confess it is not likely anyone will have a practical use in the future, because few live the lifestyle that could utilize the knowledge.

Still seems sad to just flush the learning and photographs down the outhouse hole.
Oh please don't send it all to the outhouse! This is the sort of stuff I soak up like a sponge - I've been reading (as I find them) journals from the 1800's to try to glean morsels of knowledge. If you have it in some sort of organized fashion, I think (my opinion) that a .com or website might be good. Unlike a blog that has entries, a site can have categories and subcategories much like a resource book. I obtained a .com for my blog through GoDaddy and I think it's $50 for 2 years. I realize that is an outlay of funds - there might be other platforms that are free that I don't know about (I'm not super tech. savvy.) Anyways, from the site, it could be printed off by individuals if so desired. And just one other "maybe" is to contact your county library or museum and ask if there is someone who might be interested - at least then it would be passed on and not wasted. Okay,
I'm panic rambling so will stop - I just don't like good info. lost.

Here's a youtube video showing a guy that got free power for 16 years from an old washing machine.

Back