I love them old barns

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_IMG_1601737199764.jpg

Jim

A really strange barn… Many years ago a friend was attending the U. of Alabama. We (and his girlfriend, Tina) went to visit friends in Chattanooga. We were to stay at Tina’s mom’s house.

We pulled up a very long drive to a secluded farm house that was falling in. Beside it was a huge barn with out buildings. A neighboring farmer leased her grandparents farm and kept the property up. There were a couple of tractors under sheds along with various farm implements.

I stop, we get out and head to the barn, not the house. The barn was accessed by a hidden door. Inside was white carpeting and marble flooring, beautiful oak paneling, a large sun roof, lots of brass fixtures, a huge chef’s kitchen, 4 bedrooms, a large back deck with a hot tub and small pool with a roll away roof, every amenity imaginable.

This was the Tina’s mom’s get away/weekend house. Obviously, the wealthiest person I’ve never met. This beautiful home was hidden inside an old rustic barn. I was told they didn’t get out there very often and there had been a problem with thieves and vandals. They leased the farm to the neighbor who kept an eye on things then the mom had the house built. From the outside no one would ever guess what was inside that big ol’ barn.

@LadyLocust those barns look purpose built for something specific. Maybe one kind of critter.

Now this is a barn!

View attachment 51823
If I had to guess, I would guess horses or mules. They’re in the middle of wheat country and in years past the teams were a status symbol- just my guess though.

I love the barns that have a missile silo next to them. So many possibilities! ;)

Latest posts

Back