I love them old barns

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_IMG_1619997901970.jpg

Jim

My younger sister owns the farm my dad was born on in 1927. He often tells the story about how when he got home from WW2 how he helped stand the trusses because he could climb to the top. It has a round roof instead of a gambrel roof. Kinda unique.
I've stacked a lot of hay bales in that loft. And I have the hay saw my dad used as a kid near 90 years ago.
But most best is I can go hang out where my dad did n he can still visit with me about it.

My younger sister owns the farm my dad was born on in 1927. He often tells the story about how when he got home from WW2 how he helped stand the trusses because he could climb to the top. It has a round roof instead of a gambrel roof. Kinda unique.
I've stacked a lot of hay bales in that loft. And I have the hay saw my dad used as a kid near 90 years ago.
But most best is I can go hang out where my dad did n he can still visit with me about it.
I'd like to see pics of that barn - and the hay saw, Ak.
And, welcome to the forum.:welcome:

Round construction is found all over the world in ancient cultures. The round shape hold the most volume and the lowest surface area so the inside holds more with less effect from the outside temperature. It requires less materials to make and is inherently stronger. Square construction began with the "specialization" of different spaces in buildings. Yurts or grass huts or domes are economical and easily transported homes that are efficient and economical building solutions for a nomadic life style.

must be! I read there are less than 150 left standing now and they were especially prevalent in one county.

The article said most round barns were built 1900-1910. The article also guessed the reason was something to do with the progressive movement. That I find believable, an outdated idea impractical for modern farming.

Also, I think alaska john was referring to round/gambrel roof design, not round barn design, there is a difference.

gambrel roof
gambrel roof 05.jpg

round roof
round roof 2.jpg

Sadly the barn "loft" has gone the way of the do-do. Hay is stored outside. Round bales are wrapped needing no roof. More often than not I see squared bales stacked outside and covered.

View attachment 69439
No hay loft? So where do the barn cats live?
I know! They had a purpose. It was also really cool as a kid to get to go up there and throw hay down to the critters.

Latest posts

Back