I love to experiment

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cnsper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I am always on the lookout for different ways to consume seafood.

Inspired by a bbq truck serving brisket parfaits. I thought how would that be with smoked salmon? They make a lobster mac and cheese so why not salmon?

They made theirs in layers of mac and cheese and brisket. Mac and cheese and smoked salmon sounded good so I decided to test it out tonight.

The result was amazing and this was just mac and cheese from Walmart

20200817_194839.jpg
20200817_194934.jpg

Yeah, yeah I know. This has carbs but a treat like this I can live with once in a while.

looks kind of weird, but we can try anything once.
Are you eating more seafood than you used to now?
I finally used a cedar plank in the oven to broil some salmon recently, wasn't prepared for it to blacken the plank so much. I cleaned it up, saved it, and it is in the freezer. Still black on the ends.

My favorite way was how hubs fixed it and I think I've posted this somewhere here before...
Variations, put in a little fry pan: a tablespoon of butter, a lemon or a lime juiced, a tablespoon or so of honey, a good hefty shake of sesame seeds, shake or 3 of low sodium soy sauce, powdered ginger generously or sliced ginger root. Variations included garlic, onion, paprika, slivered almonds. Pour that stuff on top of a broiled slab of fish.
Thanks to @WVDragonlady we've been wrapping our shrimp in bacon and broiling that. YUMMY!
WIth or without Old Bay.
A friend of mine makes her own fish sticks with haddock and a homemade batter. She's gluten intolerant so I'm not sure how she makes that, probably with coconut something.

I dare you to do that in Alaska during the salmon run...
It's a lot safer to get fresh salmon (less than three days old and never frozen) put it in a glass pyrex pan with a little white wine and about twice as much water and sprinkle it with a bit of dill weed. Cook at 350F for 30 minutes or just until it is flaky. It is marvelous! Crab is Ok but salmon... is great!

I put a very light smoke on my salmon and don't cook it at all. Boil up a pot of pealed and cubed potatoes. When the spuds are about half way cooked lay a couple servings of smoked salmon on top and finish cooking. Serve with creamed peas and some butter on the potatoes.

For fresh salmon. Squeeze lemon on a filet, a dash of salt, pepper, garlic, and cover with mayo. Bake at 350℉ for 20 to 30 minutes depending on thickness of the salmon. this works well with halibut or cod also.

The following is Sentry's favourite fish recipe:

I think it looks pretty good, Cnsper. Mac and cheese can be the new base, and you can add whatever you choose. This is a new twist I will try. I usually put in a can of chili to make a variation of Chilimac. I have also substituted shrimp for tuna with Tuna Helper which isn't too bad either.

Here is a salmon tip. Put fresh uncooked salmon in a wire cage then put it in a crab trap and catch something good. :p
I have done that more than a few times.
Because salmon is a game fish that is illegal in many places.

There are as many smoked salmon recipes as there are cookie recipes. First you cut your fish into an appropriate size, then brine it for varying times. It is then allowed to air dry and finally it is smoked. Kippered salmon has a very light smoke. Don't put a heavy smoke on salmon you are going to can, unless you like smokey sawdust. Don't ask how I learned that lesson.

There are cold smokes and hot smokes. Some brines have brown sugar, some have white sugar, and still others have neither. My favourite uses soy sauce, rather than salt, diced onion, garlic, and brown sugar.

I went to a "safety meeting" yesterday with smoked salmon, 2 different batches, and smoked black cod. The black cod was a bit too salty for me, but I went back for a third piece. One of the salmon batches was a hard smoke.

I dare you to do that in Alaska during the salmon run...
It's a lot safer to get fresh salmon (less than three days old and never frozen) put it in a glass pyrex pan with a little white wine and about twice as much water and sprinkle it with a bit of dill weed. Cook at 350F for 30 minutes or just until it is flaky. It is marvelous! Crab is Ok but salmon... is great!

I agree. :thumbs:

Back