I need a new light weight tiller!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Long story short, the old tiller that I have been hoping would die for the past 5-6 years finally died beyond my desire to fix it after a good 25 year run. I have been mending each each year, but this time it died fortunately after digging the beds this season. But I am done with it and I don't want to fix what just broke this time as it will cost money to order the parts. It was too heavy and big anyway as it was designed for the traditional non-raised bed gardens that we are moving towards.

I need a lightweight tiller that can still dig deep, but can be something my wife and I can use hopefully for the next 20 years as we age beyond traditional retirement years. About 50% of the intended use will be for same fairly large raised beds where the soil is deep. Other uses would be to clear out the ground for new beds and other such work. For my wife to use it, it should be light. I want it powerful enough to till some tough top soil as we add new raised beds each year. I found one that I am thinking about that appear to be light enough and can dig deep enough.

How about the below Mantis 4 cycle tiller weighing 20 lbs with the ability to dig 10 inches deep? I wish it were bigger, but then my wife wouldn't use it and as I age, I may not enjoy the bigger ones. Any others less than $500 about the same weight and depth that I should consider?

Long story short, the old tiller that I have been hoping would die for the past 5-6 years finally died beyond my desire to fix it after a good 25 year run. I have been mending each each year, but this time it died fortunately after digging the beds this season. But I am done with it and I don't want to fix what just broke this time as it will cost money to order the parts. It was too heavy and big anyway as it was designed for the traditional non-raised bed gardens that we are moving towards.

I need a lightweight tiller that can still dig deep, but can be something my wife and I can use hopefully for the next 20 years as we age beyond traditional retirement years. About 50% of the intended use will be for same fairly large raised beds where the soil is deep. Other uses would be to clear out the ground for new beds and other such work. For my wife to use it, it should be light. I want it powerful enough to till some tough top soil as we add new raised beds each year. I found one that I am thinking about that appear to be light enough and can dig deep enough.

How about the below Mantis 4 cycle tiller weighing 20 lbs with the ability to dig 10 inches deep? I wish it were bigger, but then my wife wouldn't use it and as I age, I may not enjoy the bigger ones. Any others less than $500 about the same weight and depth that I should consider?

We have one and it do well breaking sod. It is too aggressive for our small raised beds. It has been gathering dust for years.

Ben

The listed Alaskan retailers who carry it, Lowes, Home Depots and Ace Hardware stores are all out of stock, and Amazon won't ship to Alaska. I am on waiting list at Lowes and Home Depot for when they come back in stock. I wouldn't really need until this fall. So I have time to wait or find a substitute. I like that the Mantis has a Honda 4-Cycle engine.

If you're considering a Mantis, also look at the Honda (FG100)? It's been some years since I did the comparison (and went with the Honda) but it's worked well for me for smaller jobs. I do have big tillers as well.

If you're considering a Mantis, also look at the Honda (FG100)? It's been some years since I did the comparison (and went with the Honda) but it's worked well for me for smaller jobs. I do have big tillers as well.

I did see that, and the current version is the FG110. Its 10 pounds heavier and it doesn't appear to have as deep of a cut. But it is on my backup list, as this would work and it has the Honda quality. Edit: I did look at some of the features that make this pretty nice.

1621964916335.png

The cultivator we got doesn't do all that much. All local tillers were out of stock, so husband ordered that. It only goes 3 inches, so a waste of time. I told him not to bother ordering a tiller at this point, because I'd rather grown in greenhouses.

If the Honda only goes 3 inches, then I need to wait for the Mantis that goes to 10 inches.

Having worked in the small engine repair business let me just say the new stuff doesn't last like the older stuff UNLESS you buy commercial quality. $$$$$$ I still think Honda engines / equipment are some of the best! Yes it cost more out the door but a LOT less over the long haul. Then there is the fuel savings also!

Having worked in the small engine repair business let me just say the new stuff doesn't last like the older stuff UNLESS you buy commercial quality. $$$$$$ I still think Honda engines / equipment are some of the best! Yes it cost more out the door but a LOT less over the long haul. Then there is the fuel savings also!

That's why I like the Mantis with the honda engine! I would certainly pay more for the mantis or honda tillers due to this and would be happy to do so. That Troy has been repaired by me a good dozen times over its life. Still pleased that I got what I did about that machine.

You know, I think this might be the brand that @Neb uses: I'm sure it weights less than 10 pounds and you can use any motor (kid) you have sitting around. Reminds me of the one dad had, I can still hear him say, "start diggin boy"
View attachment 67165
Yup!

Carry it the back of my Jeep.

Ben

You know, I think this might be the brand that @Neb uses: I'm sure it weights less than 10 pounds and you can use any motor (kid) you have sitting around. Reminds me of the one dad had, I can still hear him say, "start diggin boy"
View attachment 67165

I have a bunch of those tools and use them often, but none of those kids with us on the mountain that you speak of! Thus the desire to have a bit of help.

My son does small engine repair and rates the Mantis pretty high, with all the Hemp and MJ growers here in southern Oregon, it's getting harder to get generators, and other gardening machines, I haven't checked it out but I'm thinking that PVC pipe, like is used on the greenhouses and irrigation supplies are in high demand. Hemp growing has really gone crazy around here, almost anywhere you drive, you're going to smell the stuff growing. I have a gut feeling that not too long into the future, growers are going to regret not growing vegetables, fruits and nuts, in stead of hemp and MJ.

We got a Stihl kombi system at work. I am impressed with the tiller. It has been awhile since I used a mantis but I think I prefer this. I bought the 130 weed eater for home and wish I got a kombi. I didn't think I needed attachments.
https://m.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/kombisystem-attachments/bcmini/
https://m.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/professional-kombisystem/
We had a Ryobi thingy with all of the attachments and options. It was nice until the drive unit failed and rendered all of those attachments useless. Not going to that again.

Ben

We got a Stihl kombi system at work. I am impressed with the tiller. It has been awhile since I used a mantis but I think I prefer this. I bought the 130 weed eater for home and wish I got a kombi. I didn't think I needed attachments.
https://m.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/kombisystem-attachments/bcmini/
https://m.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/professional-kombisystem/

I did look and consider that, but I am leaning towards a dedicated tiller. With the Mantis sold out and my not having immediate needs with the gardens in, I have the ability to overanalyze this to death up until I get notice that it is back in stock.

That Ben shovel is what I ended up using for our garden. I have never shoveled so much in my life.

We still use those old school shovels for so many projects including today where we used them for about 8 hours moving some beds to accommodate some summer home improvements. Who knew that two 7 by 16 raised potato beds had so much dirt until you move them 50 yards! But we had to as there will be a road built where they once were. It was when I pulled the old tiller out to help loosen the soil for the new beds that it had its fatal last break.

The funny part of the story is that not sooner than 15 minutes after we planted the last of the potatoes on Sunday, the contractor we hired pulled up. As we discussed the project we wanted to do, he told me that the best place for the road to access the work site was right over the two beds. After he left, we immediately pulled the 60 or so potatoes up that we just planted and tried to quickly figure out where to put the beds for this summer. Well, beds moved and the spuds are all replanted! This was not how I planned to spend the last two days, and those shovels came in handy for prepping the new site, and shoveling the dirt into out large pull behind sleds a moving all that dirt to the new site. It’s all good as they are now behind a fence that should help keep the moose from stepping on the beds as they shuffle across our lawn day and night.

I've had a little mantis tiller since 2002. I haven't used it in the last 3 years, since we were working on the new place and didn't have a garden.

Last edited:
I used a five HP & now I have a Land Pride 72 inch tiller now.

Latest posts

Back