I need a versatile Radio

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my kaito 900 today. I like it, a definite improvement over the 500 that died. They got rid of the screwy round display on the right that contained the temp/humd readout and the multifunction memory/delete button. What a pain that thing was, very hard to use. Should have been a Rube Goldberg winner.

Now all menu/controls are on 2 small keypads. The systems controls use a familiar tree method, selecting, deselecting and resetting to defaults is simple. Backing out of sub menu's is very easy. The menu's are much easier to understand and navigate. The display is much easier to read.

This unit can play music from a phone/laptop etc, has both bluetooth and cable ports.
Has 2 way charging to or from all usb ports, even has a 3.5mm jack. Has the reading light on the back, flashlight on the end. Has solar, hand crank, usb and adapter charging.

I had recently replaced the lithium battery in the 500 and bought a spare. The new 900 used the same battery. That's nice...

I thought i ordered one that came with an external FM/SW band antenna. The product description on the box and website is misleading. One the box, in small print it reads "FM/SW band antenna (optional)"

Optional for who? Some jerk who decided not to put one in the box? Why would they list the antenna under the package information on the box with (optional) beside it in small print. Why even list it if not going to include it? :mad:

Kaito 500 with bad controls..

Radio a  (5).jpg

Kaito 900

20230914_kaito01sm.jpg

20230914_kaito02sm.jpg

Got my kaito 900 today. I like it, a definite improvement over the 500 that died. They got rid of the screwy round display on the right that contained the temp/humd readout and the multifunction memory/delete button. What a pain that thing was, very hard to use. Should have been a Rube Goldberg winner.

Now all menu/controls are on 2 small keypads. The systems controls use a familiar tree method, selecting, deselecting and resetting to defaults is simple. Backing out of sub menu's is very easy. The menu's are much easier to understand and navigate. The display is much easier to read.

This unit can play music from a phone/laptop etc, has both bluetooth and cable ports.
Has 2 way charging to or from all usb ports, even has a 3.5mm jack. Has the reading light on the back, flashlight on the end. Has solar, hand crank, usb and adapter charging.

I had recently replaced the lithium battery in the 500 and bought a spare. The new 900 used the same battery. That's nice...

I thought i ordered one that came with an external FM/SW band antenna. The product description on the box and website is misleading. One the box, in small print it reads "FM/SW band antenna (optional)"

Optional for who? Some jerk who decided not to put one in the box? Why would they list the antenna under the package information on the box with (optional) beside it in small print. Why even list it if not going to include it? :mad:

Kaito 500 with bad controls..

View attachment 116092

Kaito 900

View attachment 116093

View attachment 116094
Wow, that thing has a lot of features! :oops:
Since I am cautious about things that 'listen' to us and send our words up to 'the machines', I was curious when I saw the word 'Mic' on the front of it.
Why would a one-way radio need to be able to 'hear' us? :dunno:
A little research revealed that it has to do with the SD card:
  • Built-in microphone records your favorite radio programs or voice memos.

Wow, that thing has a lot of features! :oops:
Since I am cautious about things that 'listen' to us and send our words up to 'the machines', I was curious when I saw the word 'Mic' on the front of it.
Why would a one-way radio need to be able to 'hear' us? :dunno:
A little research revealed that it has to do with the SD card:

The SD card makes sense for a emergency radio. Example, hurricane outside, electricity is off and radio reception is poor. The radio has a micro SD card slot (I have to supply the card). It can then play music files or audio books stored on the sd card. I can see where this would be useful.

I can also record radio broadcasts to the sd card. example... hurricane weather reports, poor reception... Cane reports can contain a lot of detail. I can replay the report or several reports making sure i got the details correct. Or set it to record regular radio broadcasts for playback. Again, useful...

Microphone? Don't get that one either... Unless its something to amuse the kids... or the hurricane is so big you want to leave a last will and testament?
:dunno:

I think it's for integration with phone, laptop... They all have the same components/circuits for multimedia. Cheaper to include a mic than not? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back