I Need new FRYING PAN......MUST be Non-Stick......What is "BEST". Cast IRON Not an OPTION.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
What is the newest best super-duper run fast, jump high Non-stick Frying Pan? I have "NO" running water, and never wash any cooking or eating things. I cook on a "Camp Stove" and the cast iron is too heavy. I like the ceramic cookware. Just wondering if there is something new and better.

We have some good stainless cookware, and some cast iron. But if you want to know the truth ... I use this el-cheapo frying pan the most (link below)! It is quite non-stick. I use rubber or wooden utensils on it, and hand wash it. I wouldn't trust metal utensils to not scratch up the coating. This is not a high-end pan. But I've gotten several years of frequent use out of it by taking care as described above. It is still just as non-stick as the day we got it (I think maybe that was at Costco?) Some of the reviews on Amazon say this cookware is not non-stick. And they have pictures of burned black pans in some reviews. I wonder what heat they are cooking these on? Mine never sticks and is as perfectly colored as the day we got it. But the highest I've ever cooked it at is medium-high on our electric range top. And usually only on medium. If I need high heat and searing ... that's what cast iron is for. You don't use a non-stick pan for that.

www.amazon.com/Red-Copper-BulbHead-Non-Stick-Resistant/dp/B01CRBQ1JI?th=1

I have a 8" non-stick I use just for eggs. Sometime I use it to sweat down onions. Mine is a cusinart, about $25. They only last about 7/8 months so I buy them 2 at a time. The day I start using the last one of a set I order again.

I would luv to have something better!!! It's confusing as heck. There's stone pans, granite pans, copper pans... I'm waiting for a linoleum pan. Linoleum in my laundry room has been there 50yrs! :rolleyes:

So I'd like suggestions too, got cast iron coming out my ears. But a small non-stick can't be beat for certain things, like a scrambled egg before rushing out the door.

We have some good stainless cookware, and some cast iron. But if you want to know the truth ... I use this el-cheapo frying pan the most (link below)! It is quite non-stick. I use rubber or wooden utensils on it, and hand wash it. I wouldn't trust metal utensils to not scratch up the coating. This is not a high-end pan. But I've gotten several years of frequent use out of it by taking care as described above. It is still just as non-stick as the day we got it (I think maybe that was at Costco?) Some of the reviews on Amazon say this cookware is not non-stick. And they have pictures of burned black pans in some reviews. I wonder what heat they are cooking these on? Mine never sticks and is as perfectly colored as the day we got it. But the highest I've ever cooked it at is medium-high on our electric range top. And usually only on medium. If I need high heat and searing ... that's what cast iron is for. You don't use a non-stick pan for that.

www.amazon.com/Red-Copper-BulbHead-Non-Stick-Resistant/dp/B01CRBQ1JI?th=1
That is the exact same Frying Pan I have been using the last four or five years, I like it and it has held up well. The "REASON" that I bought it is the all metal handle, for cooking on a (wood-coals) camp fire. I am going to see if they offer that in a 12" or 14".

Last edited:
I use one of these quite often when I'm cooking something for a long-ish time in the frying pan:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMI632G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

That way I can keep from overheating the pan, and also keep a constant temperature (by adjusting my electric burner heat level as needed). I use different kinds of oils - olive, avocado, peanut, coconut, sesame, etc. - and I have a little printout of their various smoke points, so this infrared thermometer helps me stay below those temps. I bought it on a whim on Amazon Prime Day a few years back. I could find absolutely nothing I wanted to buy, but couldn't bare the shame of NOT buying something on Prime Day, so I picked up this thermometer for $12 I think it was, on sale. Figured I'd never use it. I actually use it all the time! If you're cooking over something uncontrolled like a camp fire, one of these doo-hickeys might keep you from destroying cookware by overheating it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Smoke_point_of_cooking_oils
For high-temp searing, I use peanut or avocado oil, for their high smoke points. For low-temp stuff, it's usually olive oil.

250C-270C is high!
I turn my cast iron on high, on a cold stove & put a flack of butter in it, then turn the stove down to med when the butter starts to melt & adjust from there.

I use one of these quite often when I'm cooking something for a long-ish time in the frying pan:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMI632G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

That way I can keep from overheating the pan, and also keep a constant temperature (by adjusting my electric burner heat level as needed). I use different kinds of oils - olive, avocado, peanut, coconut, sesame, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Smoke_point_of_cooking_oils
For high-temp searing, I use peanut or avocado oil, for their high smoke points. For low-temp stuff, it's usually olive oil.

Last edited:
OilSmoke Point ºFSmoke Point °C
Refined Avocado Oil520ºF271°C
Safflower Oil510ºF266ºC
Rice Bran Oil450ºF254ºC
Refined or Light Olive Oil465ºF240ºC
Soybean Oil450ºF232ºC
Peanut Oil450ºF232ºC
Ghee or Clarified Butter450ºF232ºC
Corn Oil450ºF232ºC
Refined Coconut Oil450ºF232ºC
Sunflower Oil450ºF232ºC
Refined Sesame Oil410ºF210ºC
Vegetable Oil400-450ºF204-232ºC
Beef Tallow400ºF204ºC
Canola Oil400ºF204ºC
Grapeseed Oil390ºF199ºC
Unrefined or Virgin Avocado Oil375ºF190ºC
Pork Fat or Lard370ºF188ºC
Chicken Fat or Schmaltz375ºF190ºC
Duck Fat375ºF190ºC
Vegetable Shortening360ºF182ºC
Unrefined Sesame Oil350ºF177ºC
Extra Virgin or Unrefined Coconut Oil350ºF177ºC
Extra Virgin Olive Oil325-375ºF163-190ºC
Butter302ºF150ºC

I picked up this thermometer for $12 I think it was, on sale. Figured I'd never use it. I actually use it all the time! If you're cooking over something uncontrolled like a camp fire, one of these doo-hickeys might keep you from destroying cookware by overheating it.

Ha! I have the same one, got mine at an auto parts store. Used it for checking my truck engine exhaust manifold temp when I was experimenting with hydrogen as fuel.

When I decided to learn to cook I used it constantly. I use it a lot less now since I have more experience.

Temp (1).JPG

Ha! I have the same one, got mine at an auto parts store. Used it for checking my truck engine exhaust manifold temp when I was experimenting with hydrogen as fuel.

When I decided to learn to cook I used it constantly. I use it a lot less now since I have more experience.

View attachment 85225
I learned to cook on a electric stove & a wood stove, then I married & bought a used mobile home with a gas stove & had to start all over again. Now I can cook on most any heat source, not a bonfire with a twenty foot thermal heat chimney.

here is a tip from a chef that ive tried and really works.
i prefer stainless pans--i love my revereware. but ive tried several types of 'non sticl but in time they get nicks and scratches and lose their abilities.

this works every time.

get some green onion tops--the green stem parts.
chop up qabouty 1/2 cup or so real good and saute in the stainless pan with oil and stir that around the pan and up the sides for a good 15-20 min or so.

not kidding.
this will give you a 'non stick ' surface for a few months. do not scrub to clean just wipe.
it seems about 2x a year i need to re season to get the non stick ability.
it may sound too simple but been doing this for a few years---it works very well

in the spring when the onions come up i cut off some green stems here and there to have some to do the pans.

To tell the truth, my favorite pan is a fairly cheap Wearever 12" pan. That thing has lasted for years and years and is still going strong. I've got a 15" pan that I like too, can't remember the brand. It's great for cooking your whole breakfast at once in the same pan, but to get even heat you need a wide burner on your stove...

here is a tip from a chef that ive tried and really works.
i prefer stainless pans--i love my revereware. but ive tried several types of 'non sticl but in time they get nicks and scratches and lose their abilities.

this works every time.

get some green onion tops--the green stem parts.
chop up qabouty 1/2 cup or so real good and saute in the stainless pan with oil and stir that around the pan and up the sides for a good 15-20 min or so.

not kidding.
this will give you a 'non stick ' surface for a few months. do not scrub to clean just wipe.
it seems about 2x a year i need to re season to get the non stick ability.
it may sound too simple but been doing this for a few years---it works very well

in the spring when the onions come up i cut off some green stems here and there to have some to do the pans.

A friend gave me an old rusted cast iron skillet years ago and told me to cook onions in butter to clean it up and season it. May have to do that a few times to get it 'cleaned'. I thought they were crazy, but I did it and it worked. I have never seen or heard of anyone else suggesting such a thing, till now. Though your suggestion is a little different by using oil and green onions, instead of butter and bulb onion.

I have a mix of pots & pans that I've been using for many years. Stainless steel, teflon or whatever similar and cast iron. Non of it is 100% non-stick. But I'm still learning too. A couple years ago watching YT videos of Depression era cooking there was a lady named Clara that always started with a cold pan, add some oil and whatever food and I think she cooked on lower temps like medium.. Her stuff never stuck to the pan, so I tried that and it does work, even with potatoes that have always stuck to the pan for me before. And most everyone always says to heat the pan first when cooking any recipes, yet something ends up sticking.

Quarantine Cooking - Asparagus Sandwich

Forget the sandwich, look at the skillet, Ms. Dean is cooking the asparagus in.

The wife likes a pair of All-Clad skillets, the small one is great for cooking for 1. They have metal handles and are easy to wipe clean. They are light enough that the wife can still handle one.

I have several of these types
Very low maintenance and super easy to clean, stuff slides right off
Copper Chef Non-Stick Fry Pan, 8 Inch

A note on DrJenner's post above. I don't know if others have the same problem that I do, but in her post I see a big blank area where the link to Amazon would be. I turn off all my script blockers, ad blockers, identity hiders, etc. and I still can't see the link. But I know it's a link to Amazon because the Amazon logo sometimes flashes very briefly when I refresh the page.

I see the same thing when I try to post links to Amazon myself. When you copy/paste a link from Amazon, it will be something like "h ttps://www.amazon.com/..." (I inserted a bogus space as the second character of that link example, so that you can see it and the forum software doesn't try to convert it to a clickable link). It is that initial "h ttps://" part that causes Amazon links to disappear when I try to post them to this forum (this only seems to affect Amazon, but not other links). So I manually delete that initial "h ttps://" so that the link begins with "w ww.amazon.com/..." Doing this appears to foil whatever bad interaction the forum software has with Amazon links.

Has anybody else noticed this problem? Or come up with a different/better solution?

@Haertig i don’t see it, but I do see the Amazon icon and the little picture.
@kenv1950 i have a calphalon set too, which I love but I’ve found stuff sticks on there more than my cheap Amazon ones. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Love my old Calphalon (when it still ”commercial” and made in Ohio)--the newer variety not so much. My Dad just got a couple of Blue Diamond. I love using them because just a touch of fat does the trick. actually wipes clean with a cloth. Bonus—metal handles.

they were ordered direct from Blue Diamond. He got one of those glossy inserts with something else he ordered and let’s just say Dad never watched an infomercial he didn’t like. LOL

@Haertig i don’t see it, but I do see the Amazon icon and the little picture.
@kenv1950 i have a calphalon set too, which I love but I’ve found stuff sticks on there more than my cheap Amazon ones. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Theres two different grades of Calphalon , cheap version is a little sticky . I bought the better one paid $166.00 for a frying pan . I use a little butter or oil and have no problems , sometimes i have to break stuff free a little but no sticking . I refuse to use any tethlon or any of those coated pans that I have no idea what the coating is .

Side note on az links. If I do a search which brings up a page of links... I'll see the amazon link in the list and a short description. If I save or right click and copy that link... and then post it here it turns out like above... a little az icon with nothing else.

However if I click the amazon link in my search page and actually go to that page... then manually select the displayed link in my address bar and copy it... then post it, Then it displays correctly with a link members can click on.

In short...

Copying a link from a search page... bad.

Copying the link from my browser address bar when actually viewing the page... good.

@Haertig

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back