I started body-weight fitness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HippoTwilight

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Hey all! Haven't been around much lately, been too busy in other parts of life. I thought I'd share one of the things that's been keeping me busy.

A few months ago I learned I have dangerously high cholesterol and triglyceride levels, in my early 30's. That was my wake-up call to quit making excuses and start eating better and exercising. I tried the Purple Palace (Planet Fitness) for a while, but quickly got bored of their limited strength training options. After a lot of research, I settled on trying body-weight exercises. It is highly regarded by fitness professionals as one of the best full-body workouts available. You don't gain strength as fast as barbell training, but it has more flexibility (pun intended).

What's nice about body-weight exercises is you can do them almost anywhere. I use my kitchen table for some some of the exercises. Most of the exercises offer progressions, so if you can't do a proper push or pull-up there are easier variations you can start with. At the other end of the spectrum, once the traditional exercises become easy there are creative ways of dramatically increasing the difficulty.

I've been following this routine, which includes exercises for flexibility and body control in addition to strength training. This one also starts out slower for people who are starting from absolute zero. In the early stages, I am benefiting more from the flexibility, and my wife is benefiting more from the strength. The same group of people also created what they call the Recommended Routine which focuses primarily on strength. Flexibility and body control are byproducts in this routine.

I have a personal goal of completing Phase 3 by this time next year. Next summer I intend to build a simple pull-up bar in the backyard using a couple 14' 4x6's, and a metal pipe set at about 10'. That will allow us to hang gymnast rings, and do the more difficult variations of most of the exercises. I haven't decided if I want to mess around with the handstand stuff in Phase 4. That may turn into a summer-only routine so I can do it outside, and I'll just focus on the strength part of things when the weather is crappy.

I just read an article on cathe.com this morning that Americans aren't getting enough exercise, but more precisely weight training. Body weight exercises are tough for me since I am pear shaped. I still do them, but I don't like them!:mad: I loathe push ups but still do them albeit modified. I also have a pull up stand in my workout room. I used that a lot when I was doing P90X. I don't use it as much now, but still have workouts that utilize that stand. When the kids were little they'd play on that thing all the time, so it was worth every penny I paid for it. Honestly, I use it more now to hang and dry towels and blankets.:oops:

As you get more fit, you might want to consider getting some basic dumbbells and a barbell. I've had mine for many years and still use them at least twice per week. It will help keep your workouts from getting stale, and like you said, the more fit you become, the less challenge you will get from body weight exercises. There are also a lot of programs/DVD's that you can buy that you can use the weights with. I have several of them including Cathe, Body Beast, P90X, Meta Shred, etc. Also if you are doing body weight exercises, you might want to consider some suspension type workouts like Rip:60 (which I see you can get on Amazon for $15 used right now) or TRX.

Your enthusiasm is motivating! Today is my rest day but you're makin' me want to head downstairs and workout.

I have P90X and another similar program. Neither of us stuck with them though for one reason or another. When I was researching workouts, everybody pretty much agreed that strength training is more effective than cardio at "getting in shape". So for now I'm focusing on that. Next summer I will probably start using my bike more, then transition into the P90X when the weather turns again next winter.
I'd love to have a squat rack and bench for the big 4 barbell exercises, but we don't have the space for one inside. I don't want to invest in the weights if we can only use them in good weather. For the time being, my legs will have to get by with variations of one-legged-squats.

Yeah, P90X does take a big time commitment. The Body Beast set requires a bit less time but I don't like Sagi as much as I like Tony. I did the whole P90X thing as written and got amazing results but was burned out on those workouts after that. Since then, I've only done those workouts intermittently here and there but it's a set that I'll never get rid of. I don't have a squat rack, but I do have various DB's and a barbell. I use my step bench for my weight bench. I do step aerobics a lot, so I use that piece of equipment almost every day. I don't know what I'd do without my basement for a workout area. I'm spoiled!

As far as the weights.....look at craigslist to find them used. I picked up a lot of mine at garage sales too. Although, if you don't have the space to store them, even with a weight storage rack, it probably won't do you much good.

I have to thank you for the post. I haven't done my rip60 workouts in ages. I pulled out one of the workouts and did it today......got a good sweat. I'll probably feel it tomorrow too. That program does have a suspension system with it, so if you are interested in buying it, make sure it comes with the suspension system. DH just bolted a handle to one of the basement ceiling supports so I can just attach it to that. Some of those exercises are killer.....especially on the abs.

Glad to see you back on the board Hippo! Keep us posted on your progress.

I've been using a TRX style suspension training set up as an adjunct to weight lifting for awhile. It comes in very handy when travelling.

Welcome back. I've just been focusing on my heart and lung capacity. I've got plantar fasciitis bothering me pretty badly lately so the bike is my best option. You've got me thinking about getting the weights back out though. Sometimes it's good to "shock" the body with some different excercises.

Latest posts

Back