I think I made a hens upset,but I don't care.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelhunter

Tree rat eradicater
Neighbor
I was out mowing and noticed 1 of the duck hens was missing,the 1 that's a pair with a drake. At first I just thought well she's probably setting somewhere,I'd hoped anyway. After a half hour or so I thought well I hope I didn't loose a duck too,I've already lost a goose. So I drove around the cedars,the edge of the weeds and looked in the duck building,no duck. So I got off the mower and looked behind the dirt piles and brush piles since the drake was there earlier and acted like the hen was nearby. Sure enough she was sitting in the brush pile. I chased her off and she was sitting on 4 eggs. I took them and gave them to the dogs. After loosing a sitting duck a few years ago,I don't allow that anymore. I saw her go back in 2 more times probably looking for her eggs,too bad. I know,I'm mean :D.

You could try moving them to the duck house next time. Some will hop back on and some won't.
I may give that a try but I don't need anymore ducks,guess I could sell them though,as long as they don't get broken. Lots of morning I'll find broken eggs in there,I guess from the goose stepping on them.

They're suspicious characters.
What do you mean you lost a sitting duck? Something sneak up on her and eat her? I couldn't stand losing creatures.
I really like the long skinny upright white ones with orange legs, feet, and bill. I've never had them for food.
Why do you keep them? (I ask out of curiosity)

They're suspicious characters.
What do you mean you lost a sitting duck? Something sneak up on her and eat her? I couldn't stand losing creatures.
I really like the long skinny upright white ones with orange legs, feet, and bill. I've never had them for food.
Why do you keep them? (I ask out of curiosity)
Yeah years ago I let 1 that was sitting stay out all night so she could set on them,the next morning she was gone, something got her. What's a pond without waterfowl and besides,they can be entertaining.

Last edited:
Back