I trust the Dems to handle the economy THIS much

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have been looking at Freeze Dryers. They aren't cheap, but would be worth the money over time.
The Princess has a freeze dryer on her wishlist but that will have to wait until I have the solar panels batteries and inverter installed. Freeze dryers suck up electricity. Solar would let us run the freeze dryer for free. So until then the economy of scale says it is still better to purchase the ready made stuff.

Just keep acquiring a little on a regular basis. It is just like dollar cost averaging.

Ben

When they get through with this nation we won't even have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out much less a bovinne or fowl dancing chickento put in it.:ghostly:.
But it oughta be interesting. Ain't that an old saying in the China countryside? "May you have an interesting life"?

Amish, today you can print guns and the scientific community is working on printing meat or growing it in a "test tube".

I think the AR15 lowers are OK but then you still have to buy the barrel, lower parts kit and bolt carrier group.
I am unsure of the lab grown meat at this point but it looks promising for long space flights ;). Maybe it will end up becoming a Star Trek food synthesizer? :)

I have to find the land I want before I can raise my own meat. Highland cattle and pigs and a cold hearty chicken are on my list. I plan on a breeding stock of all three. Big investment and some work but I think I can handle it. If not I will find help that I can afford.

I'm not going to take my money out of the stock market. Biden "theoretically" won the election and still... stocks are going up.

When you convert investments to cash, that cash is then subject to losses due to inflation. At present, inflation is around 1.2% so for every $100 in cash, you're going to lose $1.20 each year due to inflation.

I'm invested in a lot of funds but here's a strong performer I'm in. Pulling out of this would be terrible in my book.
Vanguard VWUAX. In the last year, it's turned a 55% profit. Over 10 years it's averaged almost 19% annually. A $10K investment 10 years ago is now worth over $55K. The companies it has invested in aren't going anywhere and will remain powerhouses in the world economy.

All that said, I do keep cash out of the market to keep me going but savings are invested.

Biden "theoretically" won the election and still... stocks are going up.
And they will continue going up forever no doubt. :cool:

Everybody gets to make their own guesses about when a market correction is coming. Calling what's coming "a correction" is an understatement, but part of it will indeed be a correction due the the markets being near record highs right now, and the rest will be due to incompetent economy management and "no amount is too much for Congress to authorize" deficit spending. We as a country don't have 27 bazilla-trillion to spend on windmills and free education and health care for the world. That kind of stuff is what makes the markets so fun! Just like covid is devastating some families and leaving others untouched, so too will the market. And it will be just as difficult to predict who will be on the winning or losing end of the money thing. It pays to be experienced and knowledgeable, but that only goes so far. We're still all rolling the dice to some extent, in the end.

. And it will be just as difficult to predict who will be on the winning or losing end of the money thing. It pays to be experienced and knowledgeable, but that only goes so far. We're still all rolling the dice to some extent, in the end.
Paper profits can go up in a puff of smoke.
Dividends matter.
I have a substantial amount invested, betting that people will pay their power bill.
Are you going to stop paying your power bill? I don't think so.
If the price of the stock nosedives, will I care? Nope. Because I ain't sellin'.
It pays a fat 6% dividend as dependable as that meter spinning on the side of your house.
As dependable as your house being heated this winter.
As dependable as your A/C running next summer.
When times get tough, people may fall behind on their mortgage payment,
they may even cut back on what they spend on food,
they may even cancel vacations, and put off buying a new car,
but they will pay their power bill.
Am I "rolling the dice" as an investor?
Well, kinda. But if millions of people can't pay their power bill, my investment will be the least of my worries :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Back