I turned in my notice to Home Depot.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
As many of you know I have worked at Home Depot either full or part time for a few months over 7 years, minus my time off when I refused to wear the mask. Even though the new/current manager is an incompetent leader, no people skills or leadership ability, I very much enjoyed working there. Aside from constantly finding and reporting various problems that should have been corrected but completely ignored by those in charge. Anyways, Monday I stopped in at a local ATV/Motorcycle repair shop in my neighborhood to ask about a job. While waiting to talk to the owner I talked to the main employee who had nothing but good to say about the owner and the job. The shop is almost always busy and on the few occasions where work is delayed due to waiting on parts the boss has other tasks such as upgrading the shop with installing better interior walls usually using upcycled metal roofing, hanging various work related decorations, or like last week rolling out the new sod in the yard of his house next door to the workshop. All things i am capable of and would enjoy doing especially if I am getting paid.
Anyways, while talking to the main employee he admitted to me that he had been preparing to leave to open his own company installing tile and that he had several jobs lined up just waiting for his extra time. We had a good talk while the boss was talking with a customer, again nothing but positive comments from the employee. I have "known" the owner several years and every conversation was always very polite and professional and I know him to be a top notch guy. When I got the chance to talk to him and ask about a job he said he had a distant relative that was supposed to start last week but hadn't shown up yet but he had also planned to hire another guy for a total of 3 employees. During this conversation the other main employee chimed in on how he wanted to start his own tile install company and it became a 2 or 3 way conversation for about 5 minutes until the boss man said "I gotta go talk to my wife." and he walked away. He was obviously frustrated at losing his main employee.
I completely understood his frustration but he had my name and number and I knew he would call me, eventually. Well, yesterday, a day later on my way to work my phone rang and after a brief discussion he offered me the job. He knew I wanted to give a 2 week notice to Home Depot and he already worked that out the other guy so he would hang around a month to help me learn the ways for a couple weeks before he parted ways. I have decent knowledge and experience on rebuilding car engines, transmissions, and transfer cases, I have worked on and maintained and repaired my own ATVs for years, and I am capable of most repairs and maintenance on any car or truck so the learning curve on in depth repairs on bikes/ATV's/SideBySides shouldn't be to steep. But, he said he wanted me more for answering the phone, talking with customers, placing orders for parts, and handling the front end but when that is slow I will be working in the back or doing things like cleaning and upgrading the shop or laying sod in the yard. I am totally good with that and I have experience with all of it. Heck, I am 55 and what he is expecting is a cake job in my book compared to what I do at Home Depot.
The bonus, slight pay decrease for starters but once I prove myself I will be back to what I am making now at Home Depot, he is only a 1/4 mile from my house as opposed to 26 miles each way to Home Depot, it is daytime Monday through Friday with a relaxed schedule for when I need a long weekend or if something comes up. He already approved my week vacation around Labor Day for when I travel back to Michigan for a family get together, and he mentioned birthday and Christmas gifts, and I will assume parts at cost for the upcoming work on my own ATV's. Plus, when my sons come to visit this summer I will have every evening and weekend free to enjoy time with them and maybe my oldest (15) can work a few hours and earn some cash while learning some stuff.
At work I waited in the parking lot for my supervisor to arrive. I asked about his weekend, how he was doing and a few other casual questions and then i said "I am sorry." I followed that with my 2 week notice and explained the situation. He was happy for me, but we both know the odds of him getting a replacement of any value are slim and I felt bad for leaving him even though the Home Depot BS is out of my control. Throughout the night I told most the others on our team I was leaving and they were all bummed but happy for me. I am not putting myself on a pedestal as the King Worker but everyone knows the odds of getting a good coworker are very slim, and if thenew person stays past the first week or two is even slimmer.
Aside from all that I ended up having a great day. Even though my work tonight was a "mess" I didn't mind working through the mess and doing all I could to get it done before I went home. The mess was created by incompetent new workers who have no clue how to do the job correctly and probably never will do the job correctly. Again, that is Home Depot's problem and management doesn't give a darn because the store manager makes no effort to make improvements. On top of that for 5 months we have been told the regional big wig would stop in to visit with our team but it keeps getting postponed, with the next supposed date/lie being the middle of June. Well, I doubt that will happen even though they claim it has to be before the end of June because it has to be within this quarter. Yup, right, uh-huh, sure, it will happen, they promise. I plan to leave a list with my supervisor on what the moron needs to look at, see, witness, and take action on if he gives a damn. I will even volunteer to come in IF he ever arrives to point out the problems and offer any and all suggestions to make things better for not only our store but for the entire corporation, but I doubt that will be allowed.
Regardless, I am leaving on good terms, with a 2 week notice, and I will be rehire able if I ever need to go back. It is still my best option for a "close to home" decent paying job if I ever have to resort back to the corporate life.
The best part, I should have several weeks or more with my sons over the summer and have time to play and have fun and work on my 2002 Avalanche t prepare it for my oldest son for when he turns 16 in October. If I am lucky he and I can rebuild the engine in my '72 Chevy pickup and get it on the road again. Maybe even get the '64 Chevelle running again. Smiles from ear to ear.

Congratulations! I hope the new job is everything you expect it to be. The shorter drive will be soooooo nice. Heck, you could walk that quarter mile to work and don't even need to have a vehicle. Bonus!!!

What an exciting opportunity for you. Yeah!!:dancing:

@INresponse

Congratulations! So much of your story resonates with moves like that I made before I finally realized my personal emancipation proclamation (2-20-2013).

I even worked for a mega corporation for 7 years before I was about to break. I also threw the dice and went to work for a small entrepreneur company. It was a big gamble. And many of my friends and family were afraid for me. But it was the BEST move I had ever made!

Being a little cog in a giant machine, it was always easy for your efforts to be dismissed. No matter how significant! You just do not matter in the big political arena! For seven thankless years, I worked harder than any of my peers. Weekends, nights, overtime -on and on, dedicated, results driven, just like you. In seven years, never caught a break. Nothing. Lucky to get a minimum raise increase while my peers left me behind.

It was a short time at my new job before the change really started paying off. I kept my level of dedication and effort the same - maximum. But now, somehow? I was catching every break. Constantly getting recognized for results and extra ordinary efforts! I didn't know how to take it. In about three years, I was the highest paid for my peers! I got promotions and opportunities for travel in and abroad. It was ridiculous that I was that well treated? And when I reflect?

Always do your best and play the odds to your favor? Life is more like soccer than football. You keep working and taking your shots at goal. They get blocked time and again! Their very best player is the goal keeper! If you keep working and relentlessly take your shots, eventually they go in?

Congratulations !!! There is certainly a big difference between corporate and family owned. Hope you enjoy it. Also as others have stated, the proximity to your home is a boon.

Screenshot (3).png

Think you made a wise decision ;)

I am happy for you so congradutaltions Bud!! Awesome news. Good that you left on good term. NEVER burn bridges if you don't need to. You made the exit the correct way and didn't leave your company in a bind, unless they chose too.

I also realized that along with this new, hopefully less physically demanding, job opportunity I will have the opportunity to meet many more people in the community and surrounding area. What does that mean? My T-shirt and vinyl decal business, along with my abilities to make and sell other things such as custom signs and plaques with the router, will open new doors for my personal business. Including being able to set up every Saturday morning at our local farmers market. Plus, even though I talked to the new boss last August about possibly making Tshirts for him I noticed he was wearing a Tshirt when I went to meet with him Monday. In my book that is a good thing because he bought from someone else and I should be able to see what he paid for his shirts and get a better idea of what the Tshirt shops in town charge for bulk orders....... and then I can undercut their prices and make myself more desirable to other small businesses and groups.

I also had a thought on the way home from work tonight. There was a very popular and fun commercial jingle in and around Detroit when I was a kid. I have created a shirt design with pictures to match up with the lyrics of the song for the commercial, but it still needs a few final touches before it is ready to print. My family has a get together planned for Labor Day weekend and I will be in the Detroit area for a week visiting family and friends. I will finish my shirt design in the next few weeks, share it with family and friends, and offer the shirt for $20 delivered. I will probably print the shirts and send the box to my brothers so it will be there when I fly in and then I can hand them off to everyone who ordered in advance and have extras for others who are interested. I am very stoked at this idea. I have had this idea for almost 10 years but I am finally able to make it happen, thanks to this now job with normal Monday through Friday hours.
Anyone in or around Michigan have a guess as to this old commercial? I think it started in the late 70's and ran through most of the 80's if not longer. I read that it was played on nationally televised Detroit Tigers games and popularity spread unexpectedly across the midwest region so it may be known to some of all ya'all outside the metro Detroit area.

No truck at work tonight for us to unload but there was PLENTY of leftovers from the night before that had to be dealt with so it was a busy night at The Depot. Since the store was still open and they never have enough workers in the aisle I kept getting stopped for questions. One couple was politely arguing about which pressure washer to buy, he wanted the electric one and she wanted him to get the gas one because it was less expensive. I had to go down the aisle and was just standing at the end quietly waiting to see if some sort of "question" would come up in their discussion. Eventually they told me they were not fighting and jokingly explained the situation. I offered my advice, saying electric was good as long as it was close to an outlet or if they had a heavy duty extension cord, that was not an issue. The concern by the husband was he didn't want another gas engine to deal with winterizing because they lived (wherever) and I mentioned where I lived and they said I pass by their home everyday because they are near the highway. Then the "Do you know..." questions started and eventually the wife said I looked familiar and I mentioned I was the guy who sold Tshirts at the farmers market last year. T-shirts?!?!?!?!? I need T-shirts! So not only did I help them (him) decide that the gas powered pressure washer was best I got his business card (which means many more connections) and they will contact me this weekend to make the batch of shirts they need in about a month. They also had nigh regards for my future new boss and his business so that is a plus as well. Oh, and they guys business, he is a contractor and does renovations and remodels and builds casitas and remodels bathrooms and kitchens so maybe I can get some advice or a little bit of help finishing this place. They are a very nice couple and we were mutually happy we got to meet each other.

On top of that, I took the GF's daughter around to try and contact anyone at the backyard few horse arenas in the area so she can get her horse a good work out on a regular basis which initially had no good results because no one was home so we stopped at the farmers market and the daughter got set up with a weekly egg order for 3 dozen eggs and I had a good conversation about setting up my stand again once I start the new job and can wake up early on Saturday mornings again. Stopped at another neighbors to see if they still have their horse trailer (nope) but talked to the guy across the street and the discussion lead to another money making opportunity in our small community. No one around here can get good, natural wood chips but he and the horse trailer neighbor cut and sell firewood so I will get with them and collect the small stuff they don't take and I will buy a wood chipper to make wood chips for me and also "rent" myself out to either chip anyones branches and tree trimmings or possibly collect tree branches when the firewood guys go in the hills to cut firewood and chip them and sell the wood chips to the neighborhood. I was planning to buy the wood chipper anyways because I need the wood chips too so this will help offset the cost and I will include into my personal business of Tshirts and signs and wood engraving, etc.. The upside to that is they had the phone number for the rich folk that have the very nice riding arena and the daughter sent a message and was able to get permission to use the arena and training area so her horse will get plenty of good exercise and she will get to have fun riding him.

Now, 4:30 am, I get to fire up the other computer and make a quick T-shirt for our friends that FINALLY got their house completed that was started over 2 years ago. Non-stop headaches and a contractor that disappeared after messing stuff up so she wants a shirt that saiys "IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!" Simple enough and kinda funny for the Pastor's wife.
Anyways, you all have a great day. I am gonna make a T-shirt, have a few drinks, and sleep hopefully past noon then get back to work on my cabinets and workbench in the garage.

To paraphrase the T-shirt, "It's about damn time good things start happening my way!" All because I stopped in to ask a guy about a possible job. =-)

Latest posts

Back