I Use To Crochet, May Take It Back Up

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife crochet's...lots. I have numerous hats, scarves, blankets. Soon as my boy announced his pending offspring, BAM! Baby booties, infant hats, blankies started appearing out of thin air.

She's good, though. Uses merino wool for the important "has to keep you warm" stuff, some decorative items, couch throws and the like. Even toy animal or two, but those are tough to make.

It's amazing all of the patterns you can find online.

My wife crochet's...lots. I have numerous hats, scarves, blankets. Soon as my boy announced his pending offspring, BAM! Baby booties, infant hats, blankies started appearing out of thin air.

She's good, though. Uses merino wool for the important "has to keep you warm" stuff, some decorative items, couch throws and the like. Even toy animal or two, but those are tough to make.

It's amazing all of the patterns you can find online.
Do you mean FREE patterns online? I've found a few but I don't try them. I collect and save websites, better than paper I guess. Electronic hoarding.
I love baby booties, hats and blankies. Have I made any? No. This is one of those things I dream about as I count my dream-state Border Leicester Sheep. http://www.borderleicester.com/

Do you mean FREE patterns online? I've found a few but I don't try them. I collect and save websites, better than paper I guess. Electronic hoarding.
I love baby booties, hats and blankies. Have I made any? No. This is one of those things I dream about as I count my dream-state Border Leicester Sheep. http://www.borderleicester.com/
allfreecrochect.com

I'm not sure where she finds them. She searches the internet for what she wants, then tries to modify it to fit her needs. Not uncommon to see her make, then re-make the same item three or four times until she's happy with it.

I crochet all the time and usually have several projects going at once. LOL!!! I taught crochet to students at every school that I taught at before I retired. I taught for 28 years and also taught crochet as an elective class during that time to older students. I had kids coming in BEFORE school, AFTER school and at LUNCH time to crochet with me. We always just called ourselves "The Crochet Club" and anyone could join. I have taught many many boys plus Special Ed. students to crochet also. I still keep in touch with many of my crocheters who now crochet for their own families. Several of them sell their crocheted items on Etsey and at craft fairs for extra income. I always said that I should get a kick back from the yarn companies. LOL!!! It is getting harder now with my arthritis but I think it is important to keep my fingers and hands limber so am going to try some of the different types of hooks to see what might work better.

I crochet all the time and usually have several projects going at once. LOL!!! I taught crochet to students at every school that I taught at before I retired. I taught for 28 years and also taught crochet as an elective class during that time to older students. I had kids coming in BEFORE school, AFTER school and at LUNCH time to crochet with me. We always just called ourselves "The Crochet Club" and anyone could join. I have taught many many boys plus Special Ed. students to crochet also. I still keep in touch with many of my crocheters who now crochet for their own families. Several of them sell their crocheted items on Etsey and at craft fairs for extra income. I always said that I should get a kick back from the yarn companies. LOL!!! It is getting harder now with my arthritis but I think it is important to keep my fingers and hands limber so am going to try some of the different types of hooks to see what might work better.

What an awesome story!! My hands are getting stiff also, but I keep on going. I'm enjoying some chalk paint on a couple old end tables. I've never had any kind of crochet lessons. I am self taught and get frustrated easily. But, I persevere when I'm in the mood to make something.
I would love to have some lessons.

NannyPatty, I am self taught also! My grandma tried to teach me but she wasn't good at explaining. When I was pregnant with my first baby, I wanted to make a baby afghan so bought a little 35 cent book called "HOW TO CROCHET" and followed the directions and projects. I was 23 at the time. I think teaching myself helped me to be a better crochet teacher.

CO, my mom tried to teach me and I did learn how to chain and some of the basics, but she never told me how important counting was. I still don't understand how to use the stitch marker. After ripping a whole aphagan out a couple of times I finally saw my mistakes.
BTW, I use the wood handled hooks and that helps me hold them better w/o as much difficulty. There are other bigger handled hooks,
too.
Knitting is Greek to me.

It's hard to see the first and last stitches sometimes. I always look for the last stitch that I made on the last row and look to see if Ive made myleAst stitch of the present row RIGHT ABOVE IT. For the first stitch, I always count backwards on the chain that I made at the end of the last row (that chain gives you the height for the next row) and the first stitch is RIGHT BELOW the last chain stitch. Does that make sense?

It's hard to see the first and last stitches sometimes. I always look for the last stitch that I made on the last row and look to see if Ive made myleAst stitch of the present row RIGHT ABOVE IT. For the first stitch, I always count backwards on the chain that I made at the end of the last row (that chain gives you the height for the next row) and the first stitch is RIGHT BELOW the last chain stitch. Does that make sense?
Yes ma'am! I had that figured out finally.

I have a couple of knitting looms that I bought years back. I really need to get them out and learn to use them. One is round and the other is rectangular. I'd really like a sock loom though, just to be able to make nice thick big socks for hubby and I.

woven throw.jpg
This is the one thing, a throw, that DD made with a knitting loom, it is folded over at the top left corner
This is the weave up close:
20171227_211444.jpg

I did more but the pics can be upsetting as they are of a micro preemie. But I could dig out all the little hats I made him...they were so wuick because they were so small. About the size to fit a plum.

So I just told DH I should get out my yarn and organize it and start crocheting again. Seconds later he plops this monstrosity in front of me.
15166335535681260879874.jpg

Yes you should.
As I sit in the recliner looking at two baskets of yarn leftover from Project Linus Projects.
Once different family members figured out I was crocheting,knitting blankets for Project Linus.
Here came enough yarn for 6 laundry baskets of yarn.
Anytime I do a charity project, have be careful otherwise I get over run with yarn.
Usually by word of mouth and I have some people in my family with big mouths.
So I have started doing blankets for the next set of afghans for the NeoNatal unit at Children's Mercy Hospital.
As former patient in that particular unit 60 years ago, very appreciated of what they do.

Last edited:
Oh how sweet are those Sunshine! I can only imagine the NICU is a difficult place to have to be for any parent. For you, you kept your mind and hands busy, but you touched everyone's lives that you gave to. A simple little gesture can mean so much. I've heard stories of the incredible bonds you make with one another there.

I have a couple of knitting looms that I bought years back. I really need to get them out and learn to use them. One is round and the other is rectangular. I'd really like a sock loom though, just to be able to make nice thick big socks for hubby and I.
I bought my round set at a yard sale and for years didn't touch them. There are many Youtube videos about how to use them.

Latest posts

Back