I Use To Crochet, May Take It Back Up

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I crochet a lot. We can talk crochet language and make the others wonder. I know CCR can crochet.

We made throw blankets out of yard with a needle, is that chrocet? I forgot what is was I was doing but it was fun. Plus I'd have to watch youtube for a refresher course. Or get info from yall.
Thanks Angie

I used to crochet. I could do that and watch TV at the same time. My hands can't take holding the needle anymore so I let others have the pleasure.

I'm a crocheted, too. Not the best but I have made a afaghans for 6 of my grand children and need to do a couple more. I have arthritis in my hands so I have the wooden handled crochet hooks which help. I need to make 2 more for my youngest g-daughters. I'm trying get my motivation going.

I made all the boys blankets a few years ago when I first started. . . . looked like a drunk did them the edges were so unleveled. . . I can do a straight line now :) and even taught myself a few stitches but it was hard trying to look at a book and reverse it in my head since I am a south pole. Much easier to just play around and find what worked.

A couple of things I've crocheted. Same pattern, different yarn.

happy stripe galaxy of change.jpg

retro strip galaxy afghan.jpg

I grew up doing Crochet with my Grandma. She could do all the Knitting, Crochet, Needlepoint Etc.....I never got past Crochet. She made us stuff for Christmas every year. We got all silly about it when we were teenagers because it wasn't cool. It was the warmest stuff ever though so I wore it when no one was watching!!

I had to go back and look more closely at the yarn, I didn't notice it other than they are both beautiful.

I did remember some of the knitting my G Mother taught me but it was basic and the hands just were not happy about it.

Patsy mentioned large diameter hooks, I have a couple of those around here but they didn't help either. I have been told I have some carpal tunnel going on so working with fine things like crocheting and knitting or needlepoint are just no longer an option.

Last edited:
A friend made two hot pads (or are they potholders?) for me, I think she crocheted them. They work better than regular hot pads with insulate. That would be a good first project for me, to crochet hot pads. I never crocheted much.
My daughters have modern looms they use to make stuff so they aren't really crocheting or knitting at all, making hats and scarves. They wrap the yarn around pegs and have a little hook thing to lift off the pegs. One of them made a throw, very pretty. I will post a photo in the next day or so.

A friend made two hot pads (or are they potholders?) for me, I think she crocheted them. They work better than regular hot pads with insulate. That would be a good first project for me, to crochet hot pads. I never crocheted much.
My daughters have modern looms they use to make stuff so they aren't really crocheting or knitting at all, making hats and scarves. They wrap the yarn around pegs and have a little hook thing to lift off the pegs. One of them made a throw, very pretty. I will post a photo in the next day or so.
I would love to see it! I spoke to my friends mother the end of last week and she told me that since my friend had passed, she wanted to give me her loom. She would make beautiful scarfs to wear on her head when her hair fell out with the chemo. I will learn how to work her loom. . . and think of my sweet friend when working with it. I just wish I could have seen her using it and how it was done. But I will learn :)

I would love to see it! I spoke to my friends mother the end of last week and she told me that since my friend had passed, she wanted to give me her loom. She would make beautiful scarfs to wear on her head when her hair fell out with the chemo. I will learn how to work her loom. . . and think of my sweet friend when working with it. I just wish I could have seen her using it and how it was done. But I will learn :)
I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.
The loom to make scarves and afghans or throws that DD has is very simple and transportable. Hers is made of wood and metal. She sits it on her lap while watching a movie and wraps away. The looms for hats are circles with long pegs sticking up off the circle. They are made of plastic. DDs like the rustic wooly look so they use the fuzzy yarns.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.
The loom to make scarves and afghans or throws that DD has is very simple and transportable. Hers is made of wood and metal. She sits it on her lap while watching a movie and wraps away. The looms for hats are circles with long pegs sticking up off the circle. They are made of plastic. DDs like the rustic wooly look so they use the fuzzy yarns.

I have a couple sets of these, a round set for hats and a rectangular set that is used for scarves, blankets and more. I participate in a crafting group. Some women were trying to learn to knit, but were struggling. I brought my looms and a hat that took me less than 2 hours to make. Some of the women jumped right onto making hats from looms. One woman made 28 hats in just a couple months, one for each of her family members. Elementary aged children can use them, all the way up to senior citizens.

I was pretty good at it in the 80s. It was stress relieving need to go back to it.
Sewing not so good.:oops:
I think it was crochet, may be knitting?:confused:

I find many things that I can do with my hands to be stress relieving. I do know that some people do not; they find it stressful.

I have a friend who used to create all kinds of things with plastic canvas. She made a cross for me. She is in her 70's now and has told me she can't do it anymore because of arthritis. She recently lost her husband, so I think it would be good for her mental health, but not her physical health.

I can't figure out how to post my photos. :(
Right next to the "post reply" button I have an "upload a file" button. Click on that and it should direct you to your phone/computer so you can pick a picture. That's the way it works on my phone and tablet anyways... hope that helps.

my mother crocheted up until about a year ago . she is 86. she said that her hands hurt too bad to do it. also her eyesight is failing. but i am the one child that has always loved her crochet and i have some one of a kind that she crocheted for me . i can crochete, but it's slow going and right now i just don't have the time or inclination to. maybe one day.

Latest posts

Back