I "want" to DYE........Cheaply

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Preferably Black.........could use help with finding cheap-cheap-cheap Black dye or very dark brown. Just want to dye a bunch of "rope" and old coats Black. A crappy job will be good enough. Here is a giggle.......I found some cheap black dye on Amazon,com was only $1.37 per box, so I put seven boxes in my cart. Went to check out and the total was over $900.00 Yes......it took me a bit to figure out it was not "Prime" and the shipping was $895.00 now these are boxes of less then 1.3 oz. of dry powder. Thankfully I was not gone'ers on tequila.

So any suggestions for dirt cheap black dye........???

Well, I’m sure you saw this being on Amazon.
Is this virtually same thing or are there differences I’m not aware of?
A874FBE2-0B78-4D6F-9830-83A12DAB651C.jpeg

Well, I’m sure you saw this being on Amazon.
Is this virtually same thing or are there differences I’m not aware of?View attachment 68157

Yes..........and I put four in my cart, and decided to look for other colors.........and found the exact same package for $1.37 so I put seven of those in the cart........and went to "check-out" where I deleted the ones that were PRIME and $1.98 thinking I was fairly smart. But just as I was about to hit the button to make the order. It was over $900.00 and this is why......($89.99 delivery for "each" box).

$1.37
$89.99 delivery: June 23 - 29

$1.37 per box, so I put seven boxes in my cart. Went to check out and the total was over $900.00 Yes......it took me a bit to figure out it was not "Prime" and the shipping was $895.00 now these are boxes of less then 1.3 oz. of dry powder. Thankfully I was not gone'ers on tequila.

It’s always good to be aware of pitfalls while shopping online.

Thanks for sharing

I did solve the issue by just "now" ordering (five) the same thing for $1.98 including "Free" shipping with Amazon Prime. Still three hours till I can start tequila consumption. It is "Wonky" have 22+ hours of summer daylight. In the winter I'll start "Medical Tequila" around seven P M and now I am headed up the mountain to look for bears. Will not be "Dusk" till one A M.

Last edited:
Yes..........and I put four in my cart, and decided to look for other colors.........and found the exact same package for $1.37 so I put seven of those in the cart........and went to "check-out" where I deleted the ones that were PRIME and $1.98 thinking I was fairly smart. But just as I was about to hit the button to make the order. It was over $900.00 and this is why......($89.99 delivery for "each" box).

$1.37
$89.99 delivery: June 23 - 29

Oh the joys of living in Alaska. If it isn‘t stupid shipping cost that are well beyond anything reasonable, it’s trying to get ahold of customer support. I was dealing with a “well respected“ national vender who just wouldn’t answer my calls or return them. Finally a customer tech emailed me said it was against their corporate policy to pick up the phone or return any call from outside the USA. She said it leads to many irate Alaskan and Hawaiian customers because the company considers their call from being outside of the USA. She send me the part I needed for free, so even with the frustration, in the end she did good by me,

Black walnut hulls
Plant dye

Northern Catalpa (brown, yellow)
Sumac (yellow, red, green, brown)
May-apple (brown, yellow)
Sand Evening Primrose (green, orange, red, yellow)
https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/ethnobotany/dyes.shtml
Plants for Black Dye

• Alder (Alnus glutinosa) Bark, with iron
  • Blackberry (Rubus fruticosus) Young shoots, with salts of iron
  • Dock (Rumex) Root
  • Elder (Sambucus nigra) Bark, with iron
  • Iris (Iris Pseudacorus) Root
  • Meadowsweet (Spirea Ulmaria)
  • Oak, Bark and acorns
https://woolery.com/information-on-natural-dyes.html
black beans are an amazing dyeing material
Oak Galls – Gal
Sumac – leaves
Walnut – hulls
Iris – roots
Black Beans – dried bean
Titanium – mineral
Carbon – mineral
http://www.allnaturaldyeing.com/natural-dye-colors/

How about some cheap flat black spray paint? Rope cloth,whatever

That is exactly what I have been "driven" to resort too. Sadly I go through a massive amount of "Flat Black Paint" and have been out of that for a few weeks. And Amazon will not ship paint. But I have continued painting rope, and just this last week, I accidently made some "Neat" wilderness colored rope. I coiled up a bunch and laid it on some 120MM ammo cans I wanted to paint anyway, so that any overspray would get utilized. Buy using a dark green and a dark earth brown, it came out a real cool "camo".

Latest posts

Back