Identify this plant, please

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
It is 3-4 feet tall. Has the stem like the mint family. I couldn't detect a scent.

20180603_195357.jpg

Look up Ajuga reptans... Lamiaceae - common bugle weed. Thats as close as I can find in the data bases. It's one of the small ornamental mints... not used medicinally

or maybe Stachys floridana

Last edited:
From the Mint family, Teucrium canadense (Germander of several names, including Hairy and American, also Wood Sage). Flowers I found photos of on wildflower.org match it exactly, as well as description of leaves, stalk, etc.

Sorry I couldn't get an exact id for you. Funny.... I knew I'd never seen your plant before. According to the usda it's only been found in 5 locations in my entire state, 3 of those around Mobile. The closest to me was 130 miles away. Years ago I heard it described in comparison to another mint.

If I ever do see it I'll know what it is... :)

I was reading about the medicinal value = no.
It can cause liver damage and use of this plant has been banned in foreign countries, that's a switch, huh.
Native Americans used it but I'll just say, nah. The flowers are so cool looking. The wildflower.org website has helped me to ID other flowers too. Handy website.
The flower/plant can be found in many places.

So many of the mints are medicinal I sometimes forget there are a few that aren't. Or maybe since they never come up in conversation with plant people they are easy to forget. If something has medicinal value it automaticly gets filed away in my mind... If something isn't... pretty much in one ear and out the other.

Back